Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
kenikinkoo

i played some guy recently who resigned because i nobbled his queen ..i've heard of this before some kinda doom thing that once you lose your queen then the whole of totality folds in on the game ....what a bunch of fooey!!!!

stanhope13

There could be several innocent explanations. Endgame practise.

I once had someone resign because i took his Bishop, and that was it, no other pieces gone at all.

Scrap-O-Matic

The funny thing is Heidrich was making a joke. As he actually lost the game while he was up a full piece. Folks should play through the completed game before flaming him.

WSAEME
Scrap-O-Matic wrote:

The funny thing is Heidrich was making a joke. As he actually lost the game while he was up a full piece. Folks should play through the completed game before flaming him.

Thanks for clarifying this. I found the topic title confusing after watching the game.

Ladygagafan

Had a guy actually resign because I put him in a bad position, he didnt see anywhere good from it, so he resigned.  

landwehr

Actually its not resigning that I hate, not the people themselves!

kenikinkoo

the thing is how are these people ever going to learn end game in chess if they keep running away from it on a misguided noble idea that chess is a gentlemans game  and they must resign under some  phooey ideal or other so cos its close to xmas i will quote the famous scrooge piece "BAH HUMBUG"....ANY ONE FOR CHESS .Laughing

CalamityChristie
Ladygagafan wrote:

Had a guy actually resign because I put him in a bad position, he didnt see anywhere good from it, so he resigned.  

Lady Gaga gets into lots of bad positions but looks really good in them!

bastiaan

in·tol·er·ance

[in-tol-er-uhns] Show IPA
noun
lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.
MyTechShadow

The only thing I can contribute to this discussion that could explain those not resigning is a personal philosophy: Lose because you were beaten, not because you gave up.

kenikinkoo

ill go with that one my tech shadow

midknightblue

haha, after reading above, we have both ends of spectrum.  Respectfully, 9xave resigning is not childish.  It is a sporting way of admitting that loss is unavoidable.  You will not that most GM's resign, even the adult GM's, rather than wasting both players time playing until they are mated.  On the flip side, if an amateur is not good enough to realize they are beat, or perhaps too young or naive to realize the remainder of the game is futile, we should still try to treat them with some kindness good sportsmanship.  In other words, we dont need to belittle someone for not realizing the game is already lost for them.  Happy chess.

Elubas

Another thing to consider is that you play on despite knowing that you are lost. The point is, even if you resign and wouldn't have won anyway, you are still not improving your result compared to playing on and losing. So I view playing on unlikely positions as accepting a free lottery ticket: it probably won't help you at all, but at least you know you're not going to lose money.

Generally when I play on, I think that I'm going to lose, which is counter to the assumption that a person who plays on thinks he's still going to win.

Elubas

Not necessarily, paulgottlieb; see my post above. It is quite possible to think your opponent can rather easily win the position in front of you and still keep playing figuring that if a miracle doesn't happen, you're still not worse off.

People think they can read a person's mind based on ambiguous things like resign choice, or whether or not he types gg.

kenikinkoo

to continue playing rather than resign can help you understand more of where you went wrong in the game so rather than a sign of arrogance  its more helpful to the weaker player.

Casual_Joe

In my view the main reason to resign is to avoid wasting everyone's time.  You can be totally lost but still drag the game on for a long time.  That's just a waste.  Better to admit defeat and start a new game.

Bobcat

i prefer to play to the end!
show me how to give mate quickly.
if you cant do that
 play someone who quits (preematurley)
 play someone else
read 5000 reasons you shouldent be playing chess
it will also give you a better understanding of MATH (lol)
   yours truly...Bob Cat:

brisket

Isnt resigning like quiting in the middle of the game.

Bobcat

It's impossable to be woken up
in the middle of a good sleep.

RobertXue

All this talk about resigning/not resigning being arrogant, etc...it's meaningless. Resigning is admitting defeat, and as Elubas pointed out, it's a purely objective decision. Are the chances left in the game sufficient to compensate for the amount of time I spend attempting to save it? If so, don't resign. If not, resigning will save you time and effort. In OP's game there was a good case to not resign, as the knights were extremely annoying and gave a fighting chance.