Forums

I hate chess.

Sort:
Saint-Paulia
Skwerly wrote:
AnthonyCG wrote:

Try playing slower games. I didn't even know what blitz was when I started out.

Definitely. 

It has always been my opinion that blitz chess, et al. are not real chess. This may be due to my slow, methodical temperament however.

e4nf3

No, it's real chess. Top players are actually quite good at it.

And, you may be slow and methodical and, perhaps should never play blitz. However, my experience is the more I play...I get faster. I suspect you will get a lot faster, too, in time.

For me, rapid chess at 10 minutes per side is as fast as I want to go, although I could play 5 minute games...but not my cup of tea. It's chess, alright.

Natalia_Pogonina

Relax, take it easy... Laughing

Scottrf
ciljettu wrote:

So soothing those words coming from someone like you Natalia

Laughing You creep.

bcoburn2

ah grasshopper-the key to wining is losing-find out WHY you lose-become the butterfly.

ManOfZen

Sacrifice more pieces when you play.  Your wins will still be rare, but you'll be able to justify your losses in the name of the pursuit of chess beauty.  A good excuse is almost as good as a win.  

zborg

Slow down to Game in 10/5.  Start studying some decent chess books.

A little chess knowledge will see you crushing players at your rating level in no time.

So get with the program.  Your-time-is-a-wasting.

Roma60

i know that feeling the only thing that frustrates me more is supporting west ham united, and watching England play football.

AndTheLittleOneSaid
Roma60 wrote:

i know that feeling the only thing that frustrates me more is supporting west ham united, and watching England play football.

Saints handed you a lifeline though! Cool

CHCL

Then why are you playing on chess.com?

gaineway

Play an unrated game. 

bobbyDK
ciljettu wrote:

I sympathize - hate losing too

I think at some point in order to be good in chess you don't have to be babble happy about losing. I think Kasporov said in order to be good you have to hate losing so you will study to be good.

I was playing chess for many years and considered every game I lost a change to learn, but now I just hate losing so now I stopped otb and only play and study on chess.com.

stephen_33
e4nf3 wrote:

Truth is, some people have conniption fits. You, the OP, seem to fill the bill on this. And, as several people told you, knock off the speed chess until you develop at least a smidgeon of skill.

Thanks for introducing me to a totally new word.

And 'dashofchutmeg', try to remember how great you feel when you win against a stronger player. Doesn't that make it all worthwhile ?

e4nf3

And 'dashofchutmeg', try to remember how great you feel when you win against a stronger player.

Perhaps you are assuming too much.

erik

i tell this to my kids (and it's good advice for all of us):

you're never losing when you're learning. 

life isn't about winning or outcomes. it's about process and improvement. if you want to win all the time, only play people way worse than you. if you want to enjoy the game - the learning, the depth, the journey - then change your mindset. learn to examine your games and improve from them. otherwise, why play? if you only enjoy the winning feeling, try "TicTacToe-ButIAlwaysGoFirst.com" - it's a great site! ;)

AndyClifton

Now if only I could learn not to lose. Smile

e4nf3

What he said is so true.

Now here's the thing...

I keep working on improvement in the endeavor to not lose as much.

Earning a win, that's is a joy. Smile

TheGrobe
erik wrote:

if you only enjoy the winning feeling, try "TicTacToe-ButIAlwaysGoFirst.com" - it's a great site! ;)

Even then you might still draw from time to time.

bobbyDK

connect 4 you always win if you go first and you know the right strategy.

TheGrobe
bobbyDK wrote:

connect_4_you_always_win_if_you_go_first_and_you_know_the_right_strategy.com

Fixed that for you.