Forums

I make a move while I am drunk too .

Sort:
ilgambittoo

I make a move while  I drink a lot in the evening but not to lose a game because the games are my wealth. To lose them is low spirit for me. I want to win as many as games as it follows.

ilgambittoo

I  will not make a move while i am in drunken state. So be cautious.

CapAnson

www.aa.org

ilgambittoo

Love.

bobbyDK

sometimes when I come home from town 4 am in the morning . I convince myself I am still thinking 100% the right thoughts about chess and make blunders. I guess if I tried tt I would lose 100 rating points or more.

jaaas

Not to advocate this, but it is common knowledge that Alekhine "made many moves while he was drunk, too" (which supposedly made him lose a World Championship match to Euwe - at least that's what Alekhine himself came to believe, as he subsequently sobered up to regain the title).

Still, hardly anyone can come close to Alekhine's level of play, let alone intoxicated. According to my observation, for the average person even after a pint of generic beer (~5% of alcohol) the chess thought is not as clear anymore as it is normally. Two beers and up, and huge blunders start popping up which arguably would not have occured otherwise.

bobbyDK
jaaas skrev:

Not to advocate this, but it is common knowledge that Alekhine "made many moves while he was drunk, too" (which supposedly made him lose a World Championship match to Euwe - at least that's what Alekhine himself came to believe, as he subsequently sobered up to regain the title).

Still, hardly anyone can come close to Alekhine's level of play, let alone intoxicated. According to my observation, for the average person even after a pint of generic beer (~5% of alcohol) the chess thought is not as clear anymore as it is normally. Two beers and up, and huge blunders start popping up which arguably would not have occured otherwise.

I don't think that two beers would impair your play I guess you have to drink way more than that. even if you drink 10% beer 2 isn't enough.

chesshole

i have played chess while drinking, i have found that i am more  creative after moderate drinking, of course after a certain point you will just play bad

OMGdidIrealyjustsact

3 points:

1) Before the other bits of advice, please, please be sure that you are only drunk rarely (such that "I make a move while  I drink a lot in the evening" is intended as exageration or as saying "On those occasions where I am drunk in the evening, I often play chess") , and for reasons of sociality rather than addiction. If not, I beg you to follow CapAnson's link or similar. If your alcohol intake is sensible, please continue.

2) Live Chess, unrated games. That should get your chess fix while ensuring any losses don't matter.

3) Depending on where you live, it is quite likely that other players in your timezone have the same fix. I have won games against higher-rated opponents at such times who were presumably drunker than me.

macer75
ilgambittoo wrote:

I make a move while  I drink a lot in the evening but not to lose a game because the games are my wealth. To lose them is low spirit for me. I want to win as many as games as it follows.

I feel like you were probably drunk when you wrote this...

netzach

Do some people make moves when they are not drunk then?

Have never tried that before.

macer75
netzach wrote:

Do some people make moves when they are not drunk then?

Have never tried that before.

I always make my moves when I'm not drunk. Wanna see? Here- hold my beer.

netzach

Usually make all mine when drunk. Adimittedly they are often bad ones.