Forums

I want to earn a 2000 rating

Sort:
OsageBluestem

What do I have to do to achieve this goal?

Monoceros

Win :P.

OsageBluestem
Monoceros wrote:

Win :P.

Astute.

heinzie

Instead of losing 75% of your games against 1800 rated opposition, you'll need to win 75%

Monoceros

More seriously though. Play otb and win Tongue out.

Do a lot of tactics, learn basic endgames, that's what Im doing. When I think I've a good tactical basic I want to add some strategy and positional play to that.

I have partially the same goal and am also curious how to reach that.

pumpupthevolume247

I'm on the same hunt guys... so lots of both turn-based play for pattern recognision - the more games on the go the more quickly you will familiarize yourself with patterns, lots of live play for obviously playing out full games in one go, and if you can, the best practice is OTB, join a club, I did and my rating has shot up over 200 in a matter of months...

OsageBluestem

I think eliminating errors is key. I need to understand what an inaccuracy really is.

OsageBluestem
Ronboy wrote:

You've got the passion for the game, David, that, in my eyes is really all you need. Carefully analyse each game, whether you have won or lost. particularly, if you lose a game, look at where you went wrong, what you should or could have played better etc. And also the games you win. Look at what you think were good moves and then see if your opponent could have played a better one. Lastly, if you did play a good move that your opponent could not do much about, see if you can find an even better move. I've played you a few times and i know you have will and a good stratagy to do well in the game. Keep practicing and analysing and you will reach your goal, David, of that I'm sure

Thanks Ron!

Pawnpusher3

Play lots of correspondence and analyze each move thoroughly

AndyClifton

To heck with earning one--I want to buy one!

MrBlunderful_closed

Do you have any dream or intention of ever moving beyond that to, say, 2100 or better?

Because if not, I strongly recommend a steady diet of tactics, endgames, and the BDG.

Conflagration_Planet

I'd like to earn a million bucks.

transpo

5 minute chess is used by players that already have a 6 or more opening repertoire to reinforce the memorized variations.  Also for practice in time trouble situations in regulation time otb games in tournaments.  Mastery of the time clock is essential in time crunch positions.

Almost any average player can achieve a rating of 2000 within a 3 yr. period.  The reason for the 3 years is that is how long it takes to build an opening tree with the help of a computer and acquire an (over the board tournament game) understanding of your opening repertoire.  During that same time period you will be practicing tactics for 2-3 hrs./day, studying endgames and endgame technique, and all the while playing 70+ rated otb games/year(this includes analyzing your otb games with a master and a computer) 

It can be done, but it will occupy at least 6 hrs of most your days during that 3 yr. time.

Have fun on a great adventure.

AndyClifton
transpo wrote:

Almost any average player can achieve a rating of 2000 within a 3 yr. period.

lol

Skeptikill

ptrckmackay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judit_Polg%C3%A1r

Read the bit on early life....(and the rest if you will)

You dont need to be born with a talent for it

Shivsky

I wouldn't ridicule transpo's comment.  He *did* state that it would warrant 6 x hrs/day x 3 years of concentrated effort for a person of average intelligence with a well defined feedback loop ( Master coach, computer analysis of all games etc.)

I'd say that's a fair comment ... though we do know how many people actually ever make that kind of a committment for this game. (Though if you searched the planet and gathered them into one room, I'd bet all of them were experts by now :) )

I'd like somebody who actually *did* but didn't succeed at making expert come out and shoot this suggestion down :)

AndyClifton

I am ridiculing the arbitariness of it, not the basic notion. Smile  We seem to get a lot of people on here saying that a rating of _____ is reachable in ____ months/years by virtually any intelligent/sane/sentient person.  It's become yet another cliche of the forums.

Shivsky

@AndyClifton: Duly noted :)

heinzie

Since when is sanity included in the three most salient points to become mildly good at chess

ChrisZifo

When asked how many moves he thought ahead, the grandmaster Capablanca famously said "I only think one move ahead. The right one.' That has to be my favourite chess quote.

If you are playing correspondance chess, my advice is to take the full 3 days, and run through the conditional moves to see some possibilities.

If you look at the chart of ratings from chess,com, you'll see that only a small percentage of players get to the 2000+ rating. Hard work and study is vital, but I personally believe a player must need to have a lot of skill/logic/insight as well- otherwise loads of people would have that kind of rating.

My rating peaked at 1777 and then it dropped due to tiredness, a lack of motivation and the fact that facebook chess merged with chess.com and lots of stronger players came along. It is now back at 1630 so if you want a game and chance of some easy ratings points, send me a challenge!