Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

I want to earn a 2000 rating

• 3 years ago · Quote · #41

transpo

theunsjb wrote:

'Especially some end game positions have to be practiced a couple of times over before they sink in.  Or maybe that's just me Cry'

You are absolutely right.  A specific example from the endgame is the Lucena position.  If you want to reach a 2000 rating you better be able to do the Lucena in your sleep.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #42

AndyClifton

IrrationalTiger wrote:

The biggest thing to play consistently at a 2000-2200 level is focus - bringing the same amount of intensity at every move, regardless of the position or how tired you are.

That is highly debatable...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #43

zborg

Conflagration_Planet wrote:

I'd like to earn a million bucks.

A winning lottery ticket could satisfy me.  After taxes, of course.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #44

Bubatz

AndyClifton wrote:
    IrrationalTiger wrote:

The biggest thing to play consistently at a 2000-2200 level is focus - bringing the same amount of intensity at every move, regardless of the position or how tired you are.

That is highly debatable...

Yes, OTB one can't invest the same amount of time and energy for every single move. He still has a point, though: Not bothering to survey the opponent's checks, captures and threats to one's chosen candidate in even one move out of fourty will put a significant damper on one's rating.  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #45

zborg

AndyClifton wrote:

I am ridiculing the arbitariness of it, not the basic notion.   We seem to get a lot of people on here saying that a rating of _____ is reachable in ____ months/years by virtually any intelligent/sane/sentient person.  It's become yet another cliche of the forums.

A Mon Roi loaded with Fritz 10 will get you to 1800 super fast.  As was the case with the recent winner of the Amateur Section of the Virginia Open.

This same 15-year-old got caught about 2 weeks later at a Scholastic Tournament.  But was only punished by a one-year-ban from competition. Go figure.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #46

CerebralAssassin

most people get to 2000 + by playing/studying for 10+ years.some may never get to that rating no matter what...and a select few can get there quicker either with talent or having a coach

• 3 years ago · Quote · #47

Jpatrick

I think you are still required to keep score manually in FIDE events.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #48

Markle

zborg wrote:
    AndyClifton wrote:

I am ridiculing the arbitariness of it, not the basic notion.   We seem to get a lot of people on here saying that a rating of _____ is reachable in ____ months/years by virtually any intelligent/sane/sentient person.  It's become yet another cliche of the forums.

A Mon Roi loaded with Fritz 10 will get you to 1800 super fast.  As was the case with the recent winner of the Amateur Section of the Virginia Open.

This same 15-year-old got caught about 2 weeks later at a Scholastic Tournament.  But was only punished by a one-year-ban from competition. Go figure.

Personally i would ban him from any USCF tourn. for at least 5 years maybe that would get his attention.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #49

MrBlunderful

Markle wrote:
    zborg wrote:
    AndyClifton wrote:

Personally i would ban him from any USCF tourn. for at least 5 years maybe that would get his attention.

We're talking about a 15 year old who just got banned from something he had no real commitment to in the first place.

Two years is as good as life in those circumstances.  He's done with high-level competitive chess.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #50

Jpatrick

Firepower8:  Ken Regan studied that subject recently and concluded that the #100 player in the world plays as well as Karpov did in 1975. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #51

Conflagration_Planet

MrBlunderful wrote:
    Markle wrote:
    zborg wrote:
    AndyClifton wrote:

We're talking about a 15 year old who just got banned from something he had no real commitment to in the first place.

Two years is as good as life in those circumstances.  He's done with high-level competitive chess.

How do you know?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #52

platolag

echecs06 wrote:

Me too. I have been flirting with the 2000 zone for the past month, up and down. Just hard work and perseverance. Good luck, mate!

& do remember to avoid cyberborgs!

Post your reply: