Forums

Is Blitz chess respected?

Sort:
Doc_who_loves_chess

Like any damaging and highly addictive activity, blitz MUST be both respected for the danger is poses to your chess abilities and if possible minimized or avoided.

Ziryab
FirebrandX wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:
cordata wrote:

A game is a game to me: why should I even think about respecting it or not? And what would be the consequences of this?

You don't respect the game, you respect the skill it takes to play at a world-beating level. Those 3000+ blitzers on playchess simply amaze me, and I have the utmost respect for that kind of rodent control.

I've repaired your typo. 

Whatever. A good chess player is usually a good blitz chess player. I've played about 30,000 blitz games in my life, and I know it's not a mindless exercise. There's far more planning and intent that goes into each move than you give credit for. Maybe it's because you're even weaker than I am at blitz as to why you think that way, but that's your problem.

Bullet chess on the other hand, I have to side with Nigel Short's opinion that it is "chess masturbation".

I've played twice as many blitz games as you. When you catch up, perhaps your skill will deteriorate as mine has.

(I'm joking, of course. I thought you would have understood that.)

daniel1607

I observed that after playing several 1 and 3 min games and then switching to standard games, say 15/10 30 min I began to make quite a lot of blunders and lost several games in a row. In my opinion ultra fast games can contribute to some bad habits.First of all chess are meant to be deep, strategic game where you master the ability to predict 2-6 steps ahead rather then arcady game. 

D4RK5YD

Time is a crucial factor and yes it can become tedious but it's part of the game as a whole

rDulac

I disregard them, but I'm biased towards long games.

electric_limes

Let's face it,the best thing about blitz is its entertainment value.And the worst,its addictive nature.It certainly lacks the overall quality of longer time control chess-especially classical-but people don't play blitz to prove it can be as respectable as classical,they just play to have fun.If it were up to the Americans,they would ban classical chess and proclaim blitz and bullet the only worthy type of chess.Fortunately,we are not there yet.

zborg

Blitz is fine.  Just watch and learn --

Game at 3/0, between two players above 2200+, are excellent learning tools.  Unless the games get sloppy at the very end.  So Enjoy Them.

**P.S., This thread is 2 years old.  The jokes on us.  Laughing

codexone
zborg wrote:

Blitz is fine.  Just watch and learn --

Game at 3/0, between two players above 2200+, are excellent learning tools.  Unless the games get sloppy at the very end.  So Enjoy Them.

**P.S., This thread is 2 years old.  The jokes on us.  

Definitely not a blitz thread...

RonaldJosephCote

Respected?  You mean like a root canal?Yell