Forums

is it really playing drunk a good option?

Sort:
conejiux

Can someone play good chess after pot?

TheBigDecline
conejiux wrote:

Can someone play good chess after pot?

Yes. Magnus Carlsen.

TheBigDecline

He could even play good Chess while being blindfolded, sitting in a public restroom and listening to the Smashing Pumpkins.

RubiksRevenge

Sometimes I play under the influence (alcohol) & I seem to keep my rating intact, but if I keep on drinking then I get much worse.I try to keep to Russian brands of Vodka just to be on the safe side, makes me think that at least I could play like a Russian.

chasm1995

The Smashing Pumpkins is good for concentration, though.  I play slightly better when I listen to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUZ6nCFNoU

TheBigDecline

I just randomly picked a noisy band, chasm1995. ;)

But just imagine: A distracted, drunk super-GM like Carlsen, Kramnik, Aronian etc. could still destroy a lesser titled player, like an NM or IM, any day. That puts their sheer strength into a tangible perspective. 

"See that guy, who is well below 2200, weeping over there? Yeah, that was me."

Ubik42

Is it really understanding thread drunk a good option?

chasm1995

I understand, TheBigDecline, but you picked a band I enjoy, so I defended it.  Pick some sort of pop music band next time; they all suck (according to me) :D

Likar

Endgame is funniest part. Trust me.

Sceadungen

I once played a Scottish guy in a congress after he had, had a beery lunch.

half way through for whatever reason he decided to wind the clock up, he turned the clock round using the clock as the winding mechanism, the clock crashed to the floor and the guy was left holding a winder worth fourpence and a smashed clock on  the floor worth £30

The Arbiter threw him out.

SilentKnighte5

Alekhine became world champion and he was a giant drunk.  It might be a requirement.

Mauve26
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Alekhine became world champion and he was a giant drunk.  It might be a requirement.

stop bumping old threads.

BlargDragon
Mauve26 wrote:
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Sorry, could you say that again? I can't hear you over the sound of 21 months ago.

PlayChessPoorly
It scares me to think people have been playing sober...
SilentKnighte5
BlargDragon wrote:
Mauve26 wrote:
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Sorry, could you say that again? I can't hear you over the sound of 21 months ago.

:D