Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is OTB easier than online?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

Pawnpusher3

Hey guys, I was wondering about your opinion on this. I do so much better with real pieces. Wanted to know what you all thought :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

Elona

I play about the same at both. I enjoy OTB so much more, but if anything I imagine others would be better online as there is much more time to think about each move. I exclude live chess ofcourse. I do not see how live or OTB will be different? Perhaps pressure.
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #3

Samsch

Pawnpusher3 wrote:

Hey guys, I was wondering about your opinion on this. I do so much better with real pieces. Wanted to know what you all thought :)

Agreed. I do way better in OTB although, my OTB rating is lower than my chess.com rating.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

Daeru

I easily get distracted while playing live chess. I like OTB more.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

raider53

In an OTB tournament game, you have your opponent right there; you can read each other's body language, etc. Also, the only Analysis board available is in your head! Laughing You get all the pressure right there; no waiting 24 hrs for a move.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

Pawnpusher3

So I guess OTB is "easier" but there is a lot of added pressure :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

Pawnpusher3

I find that when preparing/playing OTB, I am more focused. Thanks for all our comments guys :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

proKnight98

Live chess is easier because you can talk to yourself out loud, which really seems to help me.

However, in OTB I am much more careful, but there is that added pressure.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

Stormbringer

otb is better no cheating or help from friends. its just man vs man Smile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

Stormbringer

Baloog wrote:
    Stormbringer wrote:

otb is better no cheating or help from friends. its just man vs man

Online is better because in otb you will never find this type of community.

true. dont get me wrong as a married father of 2, I love this site, because I dont have time to get down to the chess club.(thats only 15 miles away) however there is something to be said about seeing the person your playing. and the joy you get when you see he just realized his King and Queen has been forked!!! yeah yeah yeah for otb!!! Smile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

Elona

Nice point stormbringer.
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #12

Stormbringer

echecs06 wrote:

I agree with all the above. It surely depends on what you want to do, or like to do. Online allows you to study and spend more time on your moves. OTB tests what you already know.

also truth be told I'm a hack. My opening sucks I fall in traps all the time. I play OTB and on line the same way from the hip like a wild wild west gunslinger!!! lol

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

zenweblo

im probably better otb even the on uscf im 1324 and here on chess.com im a 1590. I love chess.com and though im in a chess club and do take lessons i find online easier but over the board is ALOT more fun. especially going to big otb tournaments. (which i go to alot). on chess.com i feel i could be a 1700 if i moved slower and took more time on each move. i probably am exagerrating but still. otb is more fun and takes more work and skill in my opinion :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

Jordan_G

The convinence of playing online, both "live" and CC, as well as the relaxed atmosphere you can play in and time schedule you wish certainly makes it easy to play. However I find playing offline with a real board and face to face opponents makes for a much more focused and intense environment, especially in tournament settings that has a unique atmosphere. The problem is I don't have the luxury of time to frequent tournaments or even chess clubs. So while I personally enjoy offline chess more, online is easier for me to play.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

trysts

OTB is much better than online chess, imo, since I am quite sensitive to the real, tactile experience, over the virtual experienceSmile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

forrie

Online is only practice-chess...only easier in the sense that you can click with mouse...live chess sucks but i play now and then...

OTB is REAL chess....and at our chess club you can order a beer while playing....

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

Stormbringer

trysts wrote:

OTB is much better than online chess, imo, since I am quite sensitive to the real, tactile experience, over the virtual experience

Hey Trysts nice to see you. And look at that this isn't a Woodshover forum post.Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

trysts

Stormbringer wrote:
    trysts wrote:

OTB is much better than online chess, imo, since I am quite sensitive to the real, tactile experience, over the virtual experience

Hey Trysts nice to see you. And look at that this isn't a Woodshover forum post.

LaughingHi!

I like to think that, in my small way, I contributed to the world-wide phenomenon of "woodshover"Wink

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

Stormbringer

lol, yes you do. Cause its not a Woodshover post without you!!!Smile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

trysts

Stormbringer wrote:

lol, yes you do. Cause its not a Woodshover post without you!!!

Hilarious!Laughing

Post your reply: