Forums

Is "stalling" considered a bad tactic

Sort:
whyayeman

On a recent game I was material down and trying to improve my position when my opponent blundered his queen.He then sent this message

jawalis: you can haave this game your tactics of stalling breaks my concentration.

I wasn't aware I was stalling and if I was is this considered a bad tactic? 

JamieKowalski

Ignore it. Your opponenet was just making an excuse for losing.

SmyslovFan

I agree with Jamie, but when playing correspondence chess (here, confusingly called "online chess") consistently waiting until the last minutes of a time control to make a move when you're already lost is indeed very poor form. Again, your opponent was just making an excuse in this game, as proven by the fact that you didn't just draw, but won on the board.

If you had won on time from a completely lost position after dragging out the game for several months, your opponent would have had a legitimate gripe.

whyayeman

Thanks for your comments

I don't think I'm a slow player my time/move is 1 hr 15 min

perhaps the time difference between UK and USA exasperated my opponent

TheGrobe

Intentional stalling is certainly poor form, but from the perspective of your opponent it's impossible to tell whether you're deep in analysis or you're intentionally stalling.

I'd let the comment roll of my back in this case.

Hardicsay

Dave,

I would not let it get to you, mate. Any tactic assumed by the other side is fair play in my book and as i know you to be a perfect gentleman from our OTB days just let it go. Your opponent just got rattled that you played on and he blundered.

Gary.

Doggy_Style

Stalling is a good tactic but very poor form.

TeraHammer

I think this had not much to do with slow moves, but rather that your opponent thought he was won and wanted/expected you to resign. That you were not stalling with slow moves, but stalling by not resigning the game.

McAlbion

TeraHammer, you may be right: but I'm expect you agree that he still had every right to play on, as the eventual result illustrates!

I have no problem with folk playing on in what looks like a lost position, but it can be frustrating when they suddenly slow their rate of play. Maybe they're busy in the real world, maybe it's just gamesmanship: I try not to jump to conclusions. I deal with it by amusing myself setting up long chains of conditional moves to encourage the player to respond to a series of moves rather than just one -- and that generally works.

Oh, and Jamie and co are right, whyayeman: best just ignore those kinds of remarks.