Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Has the World Championship lost its meaning?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #161

nameno1had

Kingpatzer wrote:

Nameno1had, there's actually been experiments with soccer players and American football players "Switching sides" for practices. The results were that the American Football players simply didn't have the conditioning to run continuously, nor did they have the leg coordination to do much with the ball if they happened to get it. By contrast, the soccer players were unable to muster the power required during contact and lacked hand skills that are essential for skill positions. 

The notion that American football players would beat a world class soccer team at soccer is hillarious. The American football players wouldn't be on the pitch after the 1st period. 

I am sure that is an accurate assessment for how they respond to the years of training for what the do respectively. Hands down, we still have the worlds greatest athletes in the NFL and the NBA...had they trained for continuous running, instead of training for 6 second bursts,as in the NFL, for example, I am sure you'd see a difference. I am sure soccer players would have adapted better to hand eye coordination if they practiced it... all that said I still stand by my statement...you are failing to realize a tactic if I was coach was simply to put all of you players on stretchers, even if mine slower less athletic guys get tossed, I am sure we could get the odds in our favor...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #162

nameno1had

Ex-parrot wrote:

But can soccer players play hockey?  No, in hockey diving is a penalty.

I'd give em no chances to do that ...they'd go for xrays and stitches...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #163

Ubik42

Ex-parrot wrote:

But can soccer players play hockey?  No, in hockey diving is a penalty.

Blind chess doesnt impress me that much. Now blind hockey...that would be impressive.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #164

zborg

Has this thread gone "blind skinny-dipping" or what?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #165

Arctor

Where are all the people lamenting the future of the human race when you need them? Undecided

• 3 years ago · Quote · #166

nameno1had

kborg wrote:

Has this thread gone "blind skinny-dipping" or what?

With all of the attempts at World Championship "post" analysis...you'll have that

• 3 years ago · Quote · #167

JG27Pyth

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #168

AnthonyCG

Arctor wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
    echecs06 wrote:
    Kingpatzer wrote:

I like soccer and American football.

I think i'll take Nameno1had's idea to the world of football. Whoever wins in this weekend's game between the Giants and Patriots should have to play  Spain in a 5 game series alternating between American football and soccer to see who is world all around football champion.

I would add...rugby too! And have to play either England or France!

Thats a great idea, none of those other teams stand a chance, if I was coach...we would dominate all of them...most of our guys would end up red carded in soccer, but at the end, 2 on 1 the goalie has no chance....I'd say, we'd just straight up smoke them in rugby....were big,fast, strong, etc...

Yeah, and rugby players are palefaced puny dweebs 

They're strong dudes but they can't put on too much weight because they'd just be slow. In American footbal you have to deal with guys pushing 300lbs/130kg. The other side of that is that they're not too fast at all.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #169

Arctor

AnthonyCG wrote:
    Arctor wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
    echecs06 wrote:
    Kingpatzer wrote:

I think i'll take Nameno1had's idea to the world of football. Whoever wins in this weekend's game between the Giants and Patriots should have to play  Spain in a 5 game series alternating between American football and soccer to see who is world all around football champion.

Thats a great idea, none of those other teams stand a chance, if I was coach...we would dominate all of them...most of our guys would end up red carded in soccer, but at the end, 2 on 1 the goalie has no chance....I'd say, we'd just straight up smoke them in rugby....were big,fast, strong, etc...

They're strong dudes but they can't put on too much weight because they'd just be slow. In American footbal you have to deal with guys pushing 300lbs/130kg. The other side of that is that they're not too fast at all.

Yeah, because fatter = stronger Undecided

• 3 years ago · Quote · #170

AnthonyCG

Arctor wrote:
    AnthonyCG wrote:
    Arctor wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
    echecs06 wrote:
    Kingpatzer wrote:

Yeah, because fatter = stronger 

f = ma

When you get hit by a 300lb man you'll figure it out.

Besides, pads were mandatory. They were getting a huge number of cuncussions and deaths in the NFL when they weren't using them.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #171

mrguy888

AnthonyCG wrote:

f = ma

Besides, pads were mandatory. They were getting a huge number of cuncussions and deaths in the NFL when they weren't using them.

Wrong equation. You were looking for p=mv.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #172

mrguy888

chrisr2212 wrote:

yep, though f=ma is correct if the 300lb man fell out of a helicopter.

No, f=ma is correct if the 300lb man is getting hit.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #173

AnthonyCG

mrguy888 wrote:
    AnthonyCG wrote:

f = ma

Confused now...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #174

mrguy888

AnthonyCG wrote:
    mrguy888 wrote:
    AnthonyCG wrote:

f = ma

Confused now...

p=mv is the monentum equation. momentum = mass(velocity)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #175

nameno1had

AnthonyCG wrote:
    Arctor wrote:
    AnthonyCG wrote:
    Arctor wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
    echecs06 wrote:
    Kingpatzer wrote:

Yeah, because fatter = stronger 

f = ma

They still have a boatload of concussions with the pads, and occasionally someone's head gets shoved down too hard suddenly and they die.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #176

TheBone1

No NFL player has ever died during a game from a game related issue.  One dude died of a heart attack unrelated to football.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #177

Elubas

I think opening preparation is a part of the game. If you can get good positions out of the opening, it demonstrates that you have explored a lot of the game thoroughly and accurately, and I think that's an incredible achievement given how vast chess is. The more theory that's played out, the more we know about chess, and I love that -- gets us one step closer to unraveling the mystery of the game. I don't think it's the most important part of the game, but, like the chess clock, it definitely is entitled to some stock.

Whether this person (an opening expert) was just memorizing stuff all day or if he really understood the moves he was playing becomes clear in middlegame and endgame play.

That is my counterargument to chess 960 in match play -- I like seeing new developments in the exact same game. A lot of what I like about the game is feeling warmer and warmer to it the more you play it; you feel the power of development, you feel the power of extra pawns, etc, etc, etc, as you get more familiar with chess, and this makes you feel like you have just a little bit more control of your fate. And I think that's a really good feeling for any chess player, because everyone who has played chess knows how little sense the game makes at first until you devote a lot of practice to it. In a game like tic-tac-toe, the familiarity dries the game out; but in chess, the discoveries never stop!

Chess 960 goes back to that coldness that I felt when I wasn't a very strong player. I like to know that when I play d4 I know for sure that my knight on f3, should it want to go to g5, will be supported by a bishop on c1.

Meanwhile, blitz discourages precision, honest thinking, and creativity, because the best practical strategy in blitz is to go with what you know and have seen millions of times before. But then it's hard to make discoveries over the board. There is one concrete thing I can say about how blitz affects your chess: I have never, ever, to my memory, have learned a new concept in blitz. It's always a cliched concept that I have seen before but overlooked for a second.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #178

Ex-parrot

TheBone1 wrote:

No NFL player has ever died during a game from a game related issue.  One dude died of a heart attack unrelated to football.

Korey Stringer died. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #179

nameno1had

TheBone1 wrote:

http://wiki.answers.co/Q/How_many_football_players_died_playing_NFL_football

Do the really have to die on the field for it to count?

Often complications from a broken neck take enough time for guys to get off the field before they perhaps, quit breathing from brain stem damage. I can remember one guy who hit another player so hard that, part of his vertebrae went out throught the back of his neck and he died shortly after they got him off the field. I can't remember his name.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #180

TheBone1

Woops, sorry again for the second time in this thread... Somebody said:

"Besides, pads were mandatory. They were getting a huge number of cuncussions and deaths in the NFL when they weren't using them."

And I incorrectly focused on "the huge number of deaths in the NFL".  When, in actuality, none have occurred.  I apologize for all my transgressions.

Post your reply: