Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #221

blaow

• 2 years ago · Quote · #222

Anonymous_U

oh okay, sorry 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #223

RetiFan

Heyy, so there is actually one game in 10000! Faith in probability restored!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #224

Math0t

RetiFan wrote:

Well unfortunately (?) it was a simul, so I'm afraid it doesn't count.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #225

Dude_3

Tmattb86 wrote:

The Universe is huge and old, and its only getting bigger and older. Anything that isn't strictly imposible has probably happened countless times already.

Our planet orbits a single star, our star is 1 in a billion in our galaxy. Our galaxy is 1 in a billion in the observable universe. These are a drunken man's rough estimations, but the point remains. If it is possible, it happens. 

If an omniscient being had commented on the odds of this exact debate occuring in some far flung corner of the Universe countless millenia ago, he would have considered it close to zilch.

Look at us now. 

Actually, if he was the ancestor of anyone on this forum, he would have said noneTongue outlolllzz

• 2 years ago · Quote · #226

blaow

Correction, Browne could have saved mate with e6, but black would go into a vastly superior endgame.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #227

Dude_3

blaow wrote:

Correction, Browne could have saved mate with e6, but black would go into a vastly superior endgame.

true

• 2 years ago · Quote · #228

FirebrandX

Math0t wrote:
    RetiFan wrote:

Well unfortunately (?) it was a simul, so I'm afraid it doesn't count.

Not to mention it was 2500 vs 1500, or 400 points shy of the proposed scenario.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #229

Jacksimus

My room mate has asked this of me, like is it possible to "luck" into just the right moves to beat a master?

They would have to be very lucky no?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #230

nameno1had

Jacksimus wrote:

My room mate has asked this of me, like is it possible to "luck" into just the right moves to beat a master?

I would recommend playing the lottery first...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #231

Conflagration_Planet

Jacksimus wrote:

It would indeed be possible for somebody rated below 500 to luck into the right moves to beat the world champ, but the odds would be so high against it, you might as well call it impossible.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #232

dezsoracz

2509 is far from 2700. That is an other level, ask any GM about it.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #233

nameno1had

dezsoracz wrote:

2509 is far from 2700. That is an other level, ask any GM about it.

GM and Super GM....some 2509's might not even be a GM under FIDE rules for achieving the rating

• 2 years ago · Quote · #234

madhacker

2700 vs 2500:

One of the English GMs, I've forgotten which one, is meant to have described played Karpov as follows. You play a good opening, get a good position, make good plans, improve your position, think you might have a shot at winning, and then suddenly it will dawn on you that your position is totally lost, and you have no idea how or why.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #235

karthikdchamp

2700 cant be so stupidUndecided

• 2 years ago · Quote · #236

Shippen

mosh_viteza wrote:

i was beaten twice by a 1200 player recently.His strenght was about 2000 :D

Yes I took a look at the game, a fluke can happen.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #237

zborg

Every 400 rating points represents a QUALITATIVE leap is chess playing ability.

In the U.S. only 10 pecent of active tournament players ever break 1800.  That's "2 leaps" from a 1000 rating.  And only 1 percent of active tournament players ever break 2200.

So can 1300 win against 2700?  NOPE.  Except in our dreams.

It ain't computer science.  Sorry.  

• 2 years ago · Quote · #238

Stevie65

Or joey's

• 2 years ago · Quote · #239

zborg

Hey, are we doing a tag team on these two threads?  Like WWF wrestling?

As Madman George Steel said, "I wrestle scientifically."  Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #240

Stevie65

Scientifically:......0-9  threads...exponentionally..oops!   Am i stuck to your shoe?.Shit i burnt my oxford..OK Z i promise i'll just listen..well?   Maybe!

Post your reply: