Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #601

    ClavierCavalier

    Ziryab wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

    I think a 1300 is rated too high to have a chance.  His "chess knowledge" would get in the way of him accidentally playing a good game.  A 200 rated player has a small theoretical chance.

    Nonsense. A 1300s chess knowledge consists mostly of faulty ideas buttressed by the ability to spot two move tactics.

    An older man like yourself should be able to relate to someone thinking they know everything after they gain a bit of knowledge.  Maybe you don't have teenagers?  :-p

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #602

    Ziryab

    ClavierCavalier wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

    I think a 1300 is rated too high to have a chance.  His "chess knowledge" would get in the way of him accidentally playing a good game.  A 200 rated player has a small theoretical chance.

    Nonsense. A 1300s chess knowledge consists mostly of faulty ideas buttressed by the ability to spot two move tactics.

    An older man like yourself should be able to relate to someone thinking they know everything after they gain a bit of knowledge.  Maybe you don't have teenagers?  :-p

    I do. My teenagers are now in their 20s, which has raised my IQ slightly in their eyes, although they remain deeply skeptical of all that I claim to know.

    I also remember when I thought I was a pretty hot chess player because a good tournament pushed me up to 1525. OTOH, September 2010 was the last time I lost to a player under 1600 in a tournament, and that player was 1602 after the event was rated.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #603

    PhoenixTTD

    RetiFan wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

    I think a 1300 is rated too high to have a chance.  His "chess knowledge" would get in the way of him accidentally playing a good game.  A 200 rated player has a small theoretical chance.

    lol, so what must 1300 rated player should do is to lose games rapidly, so he can have a chance against 2700.

    It is not so much the score but the knowlege that gets that score.  A monkey who knows how to play has every move as a candidate move.  However someone who knows a little has a few candidate moves every turn.  His limited knowlege will elimanate moves he needs to make.  So that person will not have the theorectical chance to make all the correct moves.

    edit:  Basically what I am saying is if you put all the legal moves into a hat and randomly picked one you have a small chance.  However if a 1300 tries to come up with the best moves based on how he plays chess...then all the moves are not in the hat and he loses every time.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #604

    WalangAlam

    In March 28, 2011 Anand lost to a 10 yr old junior player from Uzbekistan in a simul match. The Teenager was rated 1900. Check out the article in chessvibes.com

    Anand loses to youngster in Uzbek simul

    Here is the game. Anand, Viswanathan vs Igonin, Temur 0-1 Simul 2011.3.28

    1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. Nf3Nge7 6. O-O O-O 7. d3 d6 8. Rb1 f5 9. Bd2 h6 10. b4 g5 11. b5 Nd4 12. Nxd4 exd4 13. Nd5 Nxd5 14. Bxd5+ Kh8 15. a4 f4 16. a5 Rb8 17. Qc2 Bh3 18. Rfc1 fxg3 19. hxg3 Qf6 20. Be1 h5 21. c5 h4 22. cxd6 hxg3 23. f3 Qxd6 24. Be4 Qf4 25. Bd2 Qh426. e3 Bg2 0-1

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #605

    Estragon

    topman75 wrote:

    In March 28, 2011 Anand lost to a 10 yr old junior player from Uzbekistan in a simul match. The Teenager was rated 1900. Check out the article in chessvibes.com

    Anand loses to youngster in Uzbek simul

    Here is the game. Anand, Viswanathan vs Igonin, Temur 0-1 Simul 2011.3.28

    1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. Nf3Nge7 6. O-O O-O 7. d3 d6 8. Rb1 f5 9. Bd2 h6 10. b4 g5 11. b5 Nd4 12. Nxd4 exd4 13. Nd5 Nxd5 14. Bxd5+ Kh8 15. a4 f4 16. a5 Rb8 17. Qc2 Bh3 18. Rfc1 fxg3 19. hxg3 Qf6 20. Be1 h5 21. c5 h4 22. cxd6 hxg3 23. f3 Qxd6 24. Be4 Qf4 25. Bd2 Qh426. e3 Bg2 0-1

    If the kid had been 1400, you might have a point.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #606

    WalangAlam

    Yes obviously. But if the Thread was changed to " Can a 1900 rated kid beat a world champ?" would that be a yes? 

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #607

    ponz111

    Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player could beat a 2700 rated player"

    Of course there is a "chance".  I once was attacked by a kick boxer and two other guys and I cam out on top.  Most anything is possible.

    I would guess it has already happened in a simul.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #608

    0ort

    I think you're missing the point. It's not that a 1300 player is worse than a random move generator but that a 1300 will never beat a 2700 because the 1300 will always make roughly 1300 level type moves whereas at least a random move generator has a (minisculely) small chance of randomly emulating 2700 level play

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #609

    Ziryab

    Magnus became a GM at the age of 13. He was over 2500 then.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #610

    plutonia

    0ort wrote:

    I think you're missing the point. It's not that a 1300 player is worse than a random move generator but that a 1300 will never beat a 2700 because the 1300 will always make roughly 1300 level type moves whereas at least a random move generator has a (minisculely) small chance of randomly emulating 2700 level play

     

    you clearly have no idea of the game tree complexity of chess.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #611

    0ort

    well that was why I wrote miniscule! :) Admittedly you'd have to run the random move generator for much longer than the estimated life span of the universe but...

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #612

    plutonia

    Ahah, you have a point then!

    now that I think about it a 1300 player has many chances to make moves that worsen his position. E.g. overextending pawns, going for silly attacks, etc.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #613

    0ort

    exactly! as the person who originally made the point said, a little knoweledge can be a dangerous thing!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #614

    arcaneterrain

    To quote Dumb and Dumber:

    Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
    Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
    Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Mary: Not good.
    Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
    [pause]
    Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #615

    Ziryab

    arcaneterrain wrote:

    To quote Dumb and Dumber:

    Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
    Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
    Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Mary: Not good.
    Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
    [pause]
    Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

    And a much better chance than our friend the 1300 in his ambition to knock off one of the top 51 players in the world.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #616

    Elubas

    Once again, although there is a possible disadvantage that the 1300 would have compared to the RMG, there are also advantages to being a 1300 as well. For example, a 1300 would be more likely to exploit extremely simple blunders. Moreover, he might find a great move, even if it was for the wrong reasons.

    So although there was a valid concern raised about the 1300 not having the moves in the hat to make the right move, you can't know if it would actually apply, without making assumptions.

    And of course, I also have to make assumptions or guesses when it comes to my opinion.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #617

    lefouissimo13

    Similar to the chances of Jamaica beating Canada at ice hockey I'd say....you would need 20 canadian players to freakishly break their legs in the first quarter, and then see if Jamaica could catch up a 40 odd goal defecit with no opposition in 45 minutes. Would love to see that!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #618

    alain978

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #619

    alain978

    It could be possible when the 2700 plays against 25 or 30 players in exhibition. The pace is very fast. Each player has 5 or 10 minutes to concentrate while the pro has only seconds. Running boards after boards, he can't make any plans and probably can't remember the last move. Some of the players should win and good chances there's 1300 or even less in that gang...  But in a real game, it's something else...


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #620

    Ziryab

    alain978 wrote:

    It could be possible when the 2700 plays against 25 or 30 players in exhibition. The pace is very fast. Each player has 5 or 10 minutes to concentrate while the pro has only seconds. Running boards after boards, he can't make any plans and probably can't remember the last move. Some of the players should win and good chances there's 1300 or even less in that gang...  But in a real game, it's something else...


    I've watched a 2500 take on thirty players, and yes he loses a few, but these are to 1700s, not 1300s. 2700s are in the top 51 in the world. They eat 2500s for lunch.


Back to Top

Post your reply: