Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #601

0ort

@erikido I think you have me confused with someone else and in this case dude it's definitely you that lacks a sense of humour (or at least the ability to recognise a joke when it's made)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #602

madhacker

solskytz wrote:

right - indeed, 3 0 is my favorite internet playing time. Funny that it's considered 'slow' nowadays. 

With chessboards I generally go for 5 0, and 3 0 seems crazy to me - however 3 0 for the internet looks about right, as 5 0 makes me die of boredom when I have to sit there and wait for the other guy to finally MOVE...

So yes, by all means...

What? You've never played 1/0 OTB? You've never lived!

Seriously, just challenge me to a 3/0 whenever you see me on live chess, I'm happy to play. My 3/0 rating is lower though, not even 2000 I think. Clearly I play better without thinking...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #603

madhacker

moonnie wrote:

Someone i know (2100)  just beat topgrandmaster Ivan Sokolov (2699) in a normal time control lague game though 

Wow! That must be one of the biggest upsets of all time surely? Would you be able to post the game for us to see?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #604

Elubas

-kenpo- wrote:
    Elubas wrote:

I am of course answering the question in a very theoretical way. In the practical world, you should never in a million years (literally) expect this kind of thing to happen, or you'd be a fool.

In a gazillion million billion trillion years, though, maybe it's not so unwise to expect it

I keep posting though because there are people who literally think it's impossible, even when talking theoretically.

Not that such people might not be right -- I certainly can't be 100% sure of the answer myself.

isn't it amusing that some blatantly ridiculous and obviously preposterous notions aren't questioned at all, just accepted as truth, while other equally incredulous claims are denounced as such.

in my experience, it seems if you have enough financial and political capital you could claim you have a pet dolphin with dragon wings and people wouldn't question this at all. rather they would ask you "oh wow! what's his name? (can I kiss your butt some more, please?)".

I might perhaps challenge you to a duel, Elubas of Nonesuchchesttershire, if you keep this up.

It's true that there is a lot of speculation here. It's hard to really prove this stuff; all I can say is that this line of reasoning (in my posts), given the choice, is the one that makes the most sense to me.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #605

VanillaKnightPOC

I could never beat a 2700 in a million years.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #606

StrategicPlay

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

No way! Unless it's something like Zukertort's case, but mostly it'll be abandoned. :P

• 2 years ago · Quote · #607

WalangAlam

• 2 years ago · Quote · #608

drumdaddy

No.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #609

PhoenixTTD

I think a 1300 is rated too high to have a chance.  His "chess knowledge" would get in the way of him accidentally playing a good game.  A 200 rated player has a small theoretical chance.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #610

RetiFan

PhoenixTTD wrote:

I think a 1300 is rated too high to have a chance.  His "chess knowledge" would get in the way of him accidentally playing a good game.  A 200 rated player has a small theoretical chance.

lol, so what must 1300 rated player should do is to lose games rapidly, so he can have a chance against 2700.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #611

Ziryab

PhoenixTTD wrote:

Nonsense. A 1300s chess knowledge consists mostly of faulty ideas buttressed by the ability to spot two move tactics.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #612

ClavierCavalier

Ziryab wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

Nonsense. A 1300s chess knowledge consists mostly of faulty ideas buttressed by the ability to spot two move tactics.

An older man like yourself should be able to relate to someone thinking they know everything after they gain a bit of knowledge.  Maybe you don't have teenagers?  :-p

• 2 years ago · Quote · #613

Ziryab

ClavierCavalier wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

An older man like yourself should be able to relate to someone thinking they know everything after they gain a bit of knowledge.  Maybe you don't have teenagers?  :-p

I do. My teenagers are now in their 20s, which has raised my IQ slightly in their eyes, although they remain deeply skeptical of all that I claim to know.

I also remember when I thought I was a pretty hot chess player because a good tournament pushed me up to 1525. OTOH, September 2010 was the last time I lost to a player under 1600 in a tournament, and that player was 1602 after the event was rated.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #614

PhoenixTTD

RetiFan wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

lol, so what must 1300 rated player should do is to lose games rapidly, so he can have a chance against 2700.

It is not so much the score but the knowlege that gets that score.  A monkey who knows how to play has every move as a candidate move.  However someone who knows a little has a few candidate moves every turn.  His limited knowlege will elimanate moves he needs to make.  So that person will not have the theorectical chance to make all the correct moves.

edit:  Basically what I am saying is if you put all the legal moves into a hat and randomly picked one you have a small chance.  However if a 1300 tries to come up with the best moves based on how he plays chess...then all the moves are not in the hat and he loses every time.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #615

WalangAlam

In March 28, 2011 Anand lost to a 10 yr old junior player from Uzbekistan in a simul match. The Teenager was rated 1900. Check out the article in chessvibes.com

Anand loses to youngster in Uzbek simul

Here is the game. Anand, Viswanathan vs Igonin, Temur 0-1 Simul 2011.3.28

1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. Nf3Nge7 6. O-O O-O 7. d3 d6 8. Rb1 f5 9. Bd2 h6 10. b4 g5 11. b5 Nd4 12. Nxd4 exd4 13. Nd5 Nxd5 14. Bxd5+ Kh8 15. a4 f4 16. a5 Rb8 17. Qc2 Bh3 18. Rfc1 fxg3 19. hxg3 Qf6 20. Be1 h5 21. c5 h4 22. cxd6 hxg3 23. f3 Qxd6 24. Be4 Qf4 25. Bd2 Qh426. e3 Bg2 0-1

• 2 years ago · Quote · #616

Estragon

topman75 wrote:

In March 28, 2011 Anand lost to a 10 yr old junior player from Uzbekistan in a simul match. The Teenager was rated 1900. Check out the article in chessvibes.com

Anand loses to youngster in Uzbek simul

Here is the game. Anand, Viswanathan vs Igonin, Temur 0-1 Simul 2011.3.28

1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 g6 4. Bg2 Bg7 5. Nf3Nge7 6. O-O O-O 7. d3 d6 8. Rb1 f5 9. Bd2 h6 10. b4 g5 11. b5 Nd4 12. Nxd4 exd4 13. Nd5 Nxd5 14. Bxd5+ Kh8 15. a4 f4 16. a5 Rb8 17. Qc2 Bh3 18. Rfc1 fxg3 19. hxg3 Qf6 20. Be1 h5 21. c5 h4 22. cxd6 hxg3 23. f3 Qxd6 24. Be4 Qf4 25. Bd2 Qh426. e3 Bg2 0-1

If the kid had been 1400, you might have a point.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #617

WalangAlam

Yes obviously. But if the Thread was changed to " Can a 1900 rated kid beat a world champ?" would that be a yes? 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #618

ponz111

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player could beat a 2700 rated player"

Of course there is a "chance".  I once was attacked by a kick boxer and two other guys and I cam out on top.  Most anything is possible.

I would guess it has already happened in a simul.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #619

0ort

I think you're missing the point. It's not that a 1300 player is worse than a random move generator but that a 1300 will never beat a 2700 because the 1300 will always make roughly 1300 level type moves whereas at least a random move generator has a (minisculely) small chance of randomly emulating 2700 level play

• 2 years ago · Quote · #620

Ziryab

Magnus became a GM at the age of 13. He was over 2500 then.

Post your reply: