Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #941

Scottrf

Is there any chance that Vishy Anand can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #942

Scottrf

17 straight draws...

• 21 months ago · Quote · #943

Scottrf

Bluebird1964 wrote:

A 1300 rated player will NEVER defeat a Super GM 2700 in a normal game.

Show me such a result from a "normal" OTB game with sensible time controls and I will happily eat humble pie.

Robin Moss FM

Why are you paying for a membership when you can get it for free as an FM?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #944

Scottrf

Ah OK, you should join Team England. http://www.chess.com/groups/home/team-england

• 21 months ago · Quote · #945

rooperi

Find all games where 2700+'s lost. Including overlooked mates. queen blunders etc.

Could  a 1300 realistically have put together any of the winning games?

If so, show me.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #946

Scottrf

Not sure of his exact rating at the time but:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1069539

• 21 months ago · Quote · #947

Scottrf

But look at the actual game, Rooperi asked for one where a 1300 could find the moves.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #948

Elubas

rooperi wrote:

Find all games where 2700+'s lost. Including overlooked mates. queen blunders etc.

Could  a 1300 realistically have put together any of the winning games?

If so, show me.

With quadrillions of "tries," possibly. Otherwise, no.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #949

SmyslovFan

Elubas wrote:

All of the above are great reasons why the chance would be extremely low -- I don't disagree these put the odds laughably against the 1300; I'm just saying that this doesn't mean zero chance. Let's say there is a 1 in 10000 chance the 1300 reaches the Gelfand position or something of the same level of advantage for white. And even here, we'll say that it's extremely unlikely that the 1300 will even win that. However, if he has even a 1 in 5000 chance of winning that position, something, then eventually, the 1 in 5 million shot may occur with enough tries.

Of course, this comes with the assumption that both components, the scenarios I have marked 1 in 10000 and 1 in 5000, are possible -- that's what I believe, for reasons given in earlier posts. If that is the case, then they simply have to both occur at the same time for the upset to happen, represented above.

What changed? Now you agree it won't happen?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #950

Elubas

I'm not sure on the number -- could be 1 in 10000, could be 1 in 1000000000000000.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #951

solskytz

Scottrf lol :-)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #952

solskytz

Elubas probably something in between these two...

• 21 months ago · Quote · #953

OldHastonian

Bluebird1964 wrote:

I had not seen that game before, what was Karpov thinking about? Guess you would have to ask him.

Apparently it was a 'blindfold' game.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #955

Keith5005

I really doubt this would happen often, but maybe as a miracle?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #956

GrandePatzer

So many posts, so little information.    The answer is yes.   There is about 0.032% chance of a 1300 player beating a 2700 player.

That's roughly a one-in-3000 chance, which is a whole lot better than any state lottery (thousands of times better!) and even better than your chances of getting a four-of-a-kind in 5-card-stud poker (which is about 1/4,000), much less a royal flush (which is much worse, at 1/650,000).

For reference and information on how to make these calculations yourself, look up "Elo Rating System" on wikipedia.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #957

rooperi

GrandePatzer wrote:

So many posts, so little information.    The answer is yes.   There is about 0.032% chance of a 1300 player beating a 2700 player.

That's roughly a one-in-3000 chance, which is a whole lot better than any state lottery (thousands of times better!) and even better than your chances of getting a four-of-a-kind in 5-card-stud poker (which is about 1/4,000), much less a royal flush (which is much worse, at 1/650,000).

For reference and information on how to make these calculations yourself, look up "Elo Rating System" on wikipedia.

There's a whole bunch of better information than "look in wikipedia"

• 21 months ago · Quote · #958

Kingpatzer

GrandePatzer wrote:

Once the rating difference grows much beyond 400 points, the equations cease to be accurate predictors of observed outcomes. 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #959

SmyslovFan

According to FIDE, if the difference between two player's ratings is 677, the stronger player has 99% chance of winning

If difference is 800, the chance of winning is, for all intents and purposes, 100%.

Here's a link to their handbook with the relevant table:

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=73&view=article

• 21 months ago · Quote · #960

Kingpatzer

Simuls aren't reated for a reason, FEDTEL ;)

Post your reply: