Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 17 months ago · Quote · #981

CheapShotFail

People are obviously thinking here, well what if. There is A chance, however that does not make it probable or even possible to attain. This isn't  something like rolling dice, the 2700 has vastly superior chess knowledge that the 1300 just isn't developed enough to handle. Sure, the 2700 COULD blunder, but the likelihood of such is so slim to none that I wouldn't count on it happening in several thousand games. Probability is not cumulitive either, if the chances are 1 in 1 million, that does not mean that you are guaranteed to succeed if you attempt it 1 million times. The probablitity will reset every time, and that 1 in 1 million may not even occur in the time in the course of human history. Yes, that small of a chance.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #982

SmyslovFan

Agreed, CSF. Some people seem to think that chess is a game of chance. Luck plays a very small role in chess, and certainly does not enter into the calculation of whether a 1300 could beat a 2700 in tournament conditions.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #983

Elubas

Well of course it'll vary. Sometimes it may take 1.5 million tries; sometimes you'll luck out and get it in .4 million tries; it's the same thing with any probability.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #984

ClavierCavalier

Imagine how many years it would take to play 1.5 million games.  If my math is correct, it's close to 3 years of constant 1 minute games, assuming they're all exactly 2 minutes.

But as Elubas pointed out, the number of tries varies.  It could happen on the first game.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #985

solskytz

It could happen on the first game! And then on the second game! And then on the third game! And on the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth game!! And after that? Every every every every every freaking game!

2700 PWNED LOLOLOLOLOL

• 17 months ago · Quote · #986

ClavierCavalier

Maybe if the 1300 was possessed by Fischer, Alkehine, Capablanca and Tal at the same time.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #987

-Gotland-

I think the 1300 player could win if the 2700 dies at the board. Only way really. I played a 2200 player once he kicked my ass 5 games playing blind. LOL.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #988

Ziryab

Your best chance is against Ivanchuk. He can beat anyone on a good day, but he has more than his share of bad days.

• 16 months ago · Quote · #989

jocheckoh

yes, most definatly, thats why i left tourament games, most of the top players were cheating, so if they forget to use the chess seaarch engine, you will win some of your games

• 16 months ago · Quote · #990

ClavierCavalier

So Fischer lives in Ireland now?

• 16 months ago · Quote · #991

ponz111

A 1300 rated player from the planet  14 Xenomia 237 can beat a 2700 rated player here as for one thing, the two rating systems are different.

Even on the planet earth it is possible for a 1300 rated player to be a 2700 rated player. The key word is "possible".

• 16 months ago · Quote · #992

AndyClifton

SmyslovFan wrote:

Luck plays a very small role in chess...

Depends on semantics...

• 16 months ago · Quote · #993

ponz111

Luck plays a larger role in chess than most people imagine.

• 16 months ago · Quote · #994

AndyClifton

Especially if you attempt to define more precisely what is meant by "luck."

• 16 months ago · Quote · #995

jclheriteau

No ZERO

• 16 months ago · Quote · #996

Pranjal588

sure there is a possibility . that a 1300 can win a game

• 16 months ago · Quote · #997

ajttja

i beat a 2000 once

• 16 months ago · Quote · #998

Mandy711

If the 2700 wants to resign because he is in a hurry, the 1300 won. It's probably an unrated game anyway.

• 16 months ago · Quote · #999

stephenlikesto

Not really!

• 16 months ago · Quote · #1000

Arun_1986

A 1300 player probably will have a 50-50% chance against a 2700 player  only with a at least a Queen and rook odds.

Cheers,

Arun

Post your reply: