Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1061

jim995

Rasparovov wrote:
    tieics wrote:

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

I won against a guy rated 509 points ahead of me. With black. After 23 moves.

There have been upsets of1000 or so points rating difference (my personal record is 600-700). However, as previously stated, once you get to a 1400 point difference with a game between a master and an amateur the chances are insignificant.

(btw, 1/infinity is 0 as a limit, 'cause infinity's not actually a number)

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1062

Mandy711

If the 2700 opponent is Ivanchuk, there may be a chance. That guy is unpredictable.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1063

Ziryab

Mandy711 wrote:

If the 2700 opponent is Ivanchuk, there may be a chance. That guy is unpredictable.

I said the same thing dozens of pages ago. We know the names of every 2700+ player (currently less than 50 players), and only Ivanchuk is sloppy among that group. He also is the one who has the best chance of taking Carlsen down a notch.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1064

livluvrok

There's always a chance...

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1065

RetiFan

livluvrok yazmış:

There's always a chance...

After all those negative comments?! Always...

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1066

Rasparovov

jim995 wrote:
    Rasparovov wrote:
    tieics wrote:

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

I won against a guy rated 509 points ahead of me. With black. After 23 moves.

There have been upsets of1000 or so points rating difference (my personal record is 600-700). However, as previously stated, once you get to a 1400 point difference with a game between a master and an amateur the chances are insignificant.

(btw, 1/infinity is 0 as a limit, 'cause infinity's not actually a number)

I know that I just stated that it's not pointless to play someone 300 points higher.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1067

Ziryab

I played a four game match (game 4 went unplayed) against an opponent 500 points higher (1738 to 2257) He is a FIDE Master whose rating has been dropping slowly from his peak slightly over 2400. I closed half of the rating gap with 40 hours of preparation made possible by my opponent's narrow opening repertoire. He simply showed up and played. My draw in the third game was hard-earned. Special pleading on the part of the tournament director was needed to get the event (our city championship) rated by the USCF.

The score of 2 1/2 - 1/2 was considered a great victory by the losing player.

Now, let's go back to considering how our 1300 patzer will secure a win against one of the top 50 players in the world.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1068

chessdragon64

you never now if that happens no matter if it was like a .1 to 99.9ect. mabye.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1069

alain978

Yeah, a player rated 1300 can beat easily à 2700 rated player................ in poker!!! LOL

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1070

Ziryab

verse is poetry

won is past tense of win, but we don't win people playing chess

et cetera is abbreviated etc (&c if you are living in the nineteenth century)

ellipses are three dots ...

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1071

ClavierCavalier

We don't won people, either.

It always bothers me when people say "And et cetera."  Like ATM Machine.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1072

madhacker

Mandy711 wrote:

Ivanchuk is sloppy enough to possibly lose to a 2000 once in a blue moon if he did something incredibly daft. But not to a 1300. He could drop a piece and still win against a 1300.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1073

SmyslovFan

All the threads that get closed around here for no apparent reason, and this one is still alive and well?  

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1074

Elubas

I don't see why it should be closed. There's nothing wrong with nobody posting on it for a long period of time, but if someone does want to post here I don't see why they should be restricted.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1075

zborg

Yes indeed -- Freedom to Post, mindlessly (or not).

It's a God-given right, on the interweb at least.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #1076

ClavierCavalier

hessmaster wrote:
    SmyslovFan wrote:

All the threads that get closed around here for no apparent reason, and this one is still alive and well?  

Well...there is How Fast Can You Get This Forum Locked, and its alive and well and has almost 3000 posts and has been around for a long time.

3000?  How does that compare to (ex?)Daeth's?

• 19 months ago · Quote · #1077

AndyClifton

SmyslovFan wrote:

lol...my sentiments exactly.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #1078

AndyClifton

Elubas wrote:

I don't see why it should be closed.

I don't think that's exactly the point that Smitty was trying to make... Wink

• 17 months ago · Quote · #1079

cookiemonster161140

Don't have time to read all 49 pages but at tournaments I have seen 1600 players beat 2200 players, 1800 players beat 2300 players and I know an A-class player who drew with a GM once.

Consistently play at that level, well DUH not likely - otherwise they wouldn't have such low ratings!

But you have to remember that there are several types of lower rated players. Those that are moving up, those who are stable, and those who are over rated.

My nephew once lost a game to Nakamura...N's rating at the time was about 1300.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #1080

RetiFan

Actually even if your are such a player, and if you get a win against a 2700 when you were 1300, you become a Radjabov, or even better, which is exceptionally rare.

Post your reply: