Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1121

landwehr

TetsuoShima wrote:
    landwehr wrote:

definitely, if the 1300 player never resigns and lasts long enough for the 2700 player to blunder big time and lose the game...it is worth the risk...so stay in the game no matter how hopeless your 1300 situation is

with that atitude you might as well start playing lottery

a multitude of chess.com players are already playing in the lottery because they never resign no matter what the situation

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1122

BTP_Excession

2700 is really super-high. Very very hard for them to make errors unless put under the sort of pressure sub-2500 players simply won't be able to exert on them.

I think the best chance would be if the 1300 player happens to have prepared an opening trap with an engine and the GM falls into it in a simul/blitz or something.

I can't see any chance this is happening if the 1300 has to think for himself (not that super-GM's tend to fall into opening traps for that matter eitherbut an engine might be able to find a nasty one).

And it better be the sort of trap that mates or at least nets the 1300 the Queen for no compensation.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1123

hicetnunc

BTP_Excession wrote:

2700 is really super-high. Very very hard for them to make errors unless put under the sort of pressure sub-2500 players simply won't be able to exert on them.

I think the best chance would be if the 1300 player happens to have prepared an opening trap with an engine and the GM falls into it in a simul/blitz or something.

I can't see any chance this is happening if the 1300 has to think for himself (not that super-GM's tend to fall into opening traps for that matter eitherbut an engine might be able to find a nasty one).

And it better be the sort of trap that mates or at least nets the 1300 the Queen for no compensation.

I wouldn't expect a 2700 level player to have this kind of hole in his opening repertoire ! Smile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1124

Timothy_P

Please, please let this thread die.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1125

duck_and_cover

every 1300 player with Carlsen's strength can beat a 2700.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1126

Atomic_Rift

If that player had Carlsen's strength wouldn't he be higher than a 1300? Lumpy

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1127

Knightly_News

I just noticed that 1300 and 2700 add up to an even 4000.  

The fact that it is evenly divisible by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 means, yes, you can beat a 2700 under certain circumstances.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1128

RetiFan

reflectivist yazmış:

I just noticed that 1300 and 2700 add up to an even 4000.  

The fact that it is evenly divisible by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 means, yes, you can beat a 2700 under certain circumstances.

Number Theory, right?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1129

MyUsernameWontWork

of course.

the 1300 player could be better, but not play online as much.

also the 2700 player could make a bad mistake.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1130

iddo111

Maybe,if the 1300 player's coach taught him a stratagy that is played only like 4 times in chess history and than,Maybe the 1300 player will win.But only in a small chance

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1131

oegiwoegi

after 10 beers maybe

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1132

11qq11

oegiwoegi wrote:

after 10 beers maybe

Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1133

Yepimnew

I get careless and lose to people I could normally easily beat. I imagine this would happen less for the grand masters, but it is possible.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1134

RetiFan

Should you get a chance and a queen and land,

Priests and knights and folks to command,

What's stopping you from beating the world,

Since all you need is inside your hand?

ANSWER

You can have a chance and a queen and land,

Priests and knights and folks to command,

If you're not a king as a real king is,

Then all you have will be dusts in sand.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1135

PATOMARK

Possible: Yes.

Likely: No.

Simplest answer. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1136

iddo111

The biggest chance will be if the 1300 player is a sand begger and the 2700 player just stopped playing turnaments for 10 years,than there might be a big chance there

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1137

ClavierCavalier

iddo111 wrote:

The biggest chance will be if the 1300 player is a sand begger and the 2700 player just stopped playing turnaments for 10 years,than there might be a big chance there

I'm not even sure then.  Didn't Kasparov say Fischer was playing around 2500-2600 range when he returned to face Spassky again?  Wasn't that around 20 years after Fischer stopped?  He was the first 2700+ player, so a 10 year gap wasn't enough to drop him past the 2000 mark.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1138

iddo111

ClavierCavalier,I said "the 1300 could be a sand begger" a sand begger is someone is someone who loses on purpes to get to a lower rating,then to win in low rated turnaments and get the money.So the sand begger might of droped from 2800 to 1300 on purpes to win money,so that I said "maybe the 2700 didn't play in turnaments in 10 years" isn't really importent,It's just like the chance that a 2800 will win a 2700.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1139

Ziryab

The first diagram demonstrates how a 1300 player handles an advantage against a 1900.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2013/04/blunders.html

Of course, he would be more relaxed and play better moves after a blunder by a member of the WORLD TOP FIFTY.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1140

ClavierCavalier

Oh, I guess that evens the odds.  Actually,a sand begger could be one who should challenge Carlsen but their actual rating is 657.  This gives some better odds for the 1300's!

Post your reply: