Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
dezsoracz

Now the topic has been changed.

alunis_acasa

I`m sure that he can be beaten if TO-s

alunis_acasa

i was beaten twice by a 1200 player recently.His strenght was about 2000 :D

Rasparovov
pfren wrote:

Aryan Chopra has a FIDE rating of 2051, which isn't close to what you have mentioned. Oh, and he is actually eleven years old, not 9... He is #13 at his age in the FIDE rating lists (which is still good enough).

snap

Tmb86

Thanks for the corrections, Firebrand. I was too hammered to bother checking, but my point was; somewhere in the universe, a 1200 rated alien is probably rinsing a 2700 at space chess ;)

rooperi

I cant find the game now, but there was a famous loss by a gm (Walther Browne?) aganst a 1500 or so amateur. It had something to do with a prepared opening trap, and I think it was a simul.

Conflagration_Planet
Scottrf wrote:

I think he meant 5 minute miles, but they are normally around 4:50 I believe.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Crips. My brain's going to hell.

princetrumpet

If the 2700 is very distracted or impaired, yes. Under normal circumstances, each playing their best game, no.

Conflagration_Planet
princetrumpet wrote:

If the 2700 is very distracted or impaired, yes. Under normal circumstances, each playing their best game, no.

He could probably be distracted, and impaired, and still win.

VLaurenT
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
princetrumpet wrote:

A 2700 player would beat a dozen 1300 in a blindfold simul while playing cards...

Remember Morphy ?

Conflagration_Planet
hicetnunc wrote:
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
princetrumpet wrote:

A 2700 player would beat a dozen 1300 in a blindfold simul while playing cards...

Remember Morphy ?

Yep. :)

blaow

Rooperi, here is the game you are referring to.

Anonymous_U
blaow wrote:

Rooperi, here is the game you are referring to.

What about Qd3?

blaow

What does Qd3 change? Notice that f3 is guarded by the d4 knight.

Anonymous_U
blaow wrote:

What does Qd3 change? Notice that f3 is guarded by the d4 knight.

followed by qf1

blaow

Anonymous_U

oh okay, sorry 

RetiFan

Heyy, so there is actually one game in 10000! Faith in probability restored!

Math0t
RetiFan wrote:

Heyy, so there is actually one game in 10000! Faith in probability restored!

Well unfortunately (?) it was a simul, so I'm afraid it doesn't count.

Dude_3
Tmattb86 wrote:

The Universe is huge and old, and its only getting bigger and older. Anything that isn't strictly imposible has probably happened countless times already.

Our planet orbits a single star, our star is 1 in a billion in our galaxy. Our galaxy is 1 in a billion in the observable universe. These are a drunken man's rough estimations, but the point remains. If it is possible, it happens. 

If an omniscient being had commented on the odds of this exact debate occuring in some far flung corner of the Universe countless millenia ago, he would have considered it close to zilch.

Look at us now. 

Actually, if he was the ancestor of anyone on this forum, he would have said noneTongue outlolllzz