Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
dpnorman

@yureesystem When I was rated 1381 a little less than a year ago, I gained over sixty rating points by beating a 2018. So it does happen haha. Still to this day it is my highest-rated victory in rated OTB play, and I'm now over 1800.

dpnorman

@DjonniDerevnja Wow. That's the worst GM simul I've ever heard of.

lekhraj_prasad

2700 player must play with eyes closed

SocialPanda
lekhraj_prasad wrote:

2700 player must play with eyes closed

They can do that without any problem.

DjonniDerevnja
dpnorman wrote:

He played too fast, and he met a very strong chessclub (topleagueclub, the third largest in Norway). 2 second bullet vs 2 minute  is a very bad handicap (he had som walkingtime too). Our kids are outstanding (3 gold and 2 silver in the Norwegian championship for kids).

I was unpresice about the score. It wasnt 19 win vs 13 loose, it was 19-13 in points, I think  it was 17 win, 4 draw and 11 loosing.

He had jetlagtrouble.

yureesystem

dpnorman wrote:

@yureesystem When I was rated 1381 a little less than a year ago, I gained over sixty rating points by beating a 2018. So it does happen haha. Still to this day it is my highest-rated victory in rated OTB play, and I'm now over 1800.     

Congratulation!!! Beating an expert is almost like beating a GM, especially at 1300 ELo. Once I arrive at expert level I did lose below 1800 Elo, I might draw a 1700 and lose to 1800 but never to a 1300. I can't think of any players who are expert level in my chess club to lose to a 1300. There is reason why we lose to masters, senior master (2400 uscf and higher), IMs and GMs, they know more and recognize the opportunities in a chess board. I can say the lowest rated player I lose to was at 1500 uscf and that was once. I did lose to 1800 players, they do cause some trouble especially when they play solid. For a 1300 Elo to beat a GM, it is impossible and NEVER will happen.

rael357

how do i enter tournaments

drybasin
yureesystem wrote:

For a 1300 Elo to beat a GM, it is impossible and NEVER will happen.

I disagree, anyone can beat anyone else.  Whether it's likely, however, is a much different story, and in this case I would say that it's very, very improbable for it to happen because of their superior strength and knowledge.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the person with a rating of 1300 was sandbagging when their true strength is at GM level, but if anyone was actually crazy enough to do that then I would direct them to the nearest mental asylum.

drybasin
Stephenson2 wrote:
yureesystem wrote:

dpnorman wrote:

Congratulation!!! Beating an expert is almost like beating a GM, especially at 1300 ELo. Once I arrive at expert level I did lose below 1800 Elo, I might draw a 1700 and lose to 1800 but never to a 1300. I can't think of any players who are expert level in my chess club to lose to a 1300. There is reason why we lose to masters, senior master (2400 uscf and higher), IMs and GMs, they know more and recognize the opportunities in a chess board. I can say the lowest rated player I lose to was at 1500 uscf and that was once. I did lose to 1800 players, they do cause some trouble especially when they play solid. For a 1300 Elo to beat a GM, it is impossible and NEVER will happen.

It is BS the rated tournaments I play in uscf a 1300-1400 player could not play a GM or even a 2000+ player

It depends on the tournament and its divisions.  In some tournaments you are allowed to play in higher divisions and even the top one, although actually playing in that division with a 1300 rating is not recommended, to put it lightly.

Supersock

You guys are forgetting about blindfold simils. With enough people playing (1000+), our GM will crack.

Or just let his cellphone go off.

Jimmykay

The chances of a 1300 beating a 2700 are about the same as this absurd thread dying anytime soon.

DjonniDerevnja
dpnorman wrote:

I heard today that he did let the smallest kids win,a six year ols kid, but he played seriously enough against most of us, except for playing too fast. 

Elubas
Jimmykay wrote:

The chances of a 1300 beating a 2700 are about the same as this absurd thread dying anytime soon.

It seemed to finally die, but it suddenly got brought back and is alive as much as ever. It seems like it never completely dies. People just take a break from it and come back to it when they're ready. Oh well, it's a crazy question in itself, but the sub-topics it can lead to are often interesting.

Elubas
dpnorman wrote:

Especially given that your 1381 rating was as extremely recent as "a little less than a year ago," and you are now 1800, the most likely explanation for all of this was that your rating hadn't caught up to your strength; it was probably a provisional rating.

RickRenegade

Of course. The 2700 accidently disconeccts or clicks the resign button.

margosmiles

The 2700 rating in not for chess☺️

Colin20G

If the 2700 player has a stroke and subsequently lose to clock online maybe.

margosmiles

The 1300 holds a pistol under the table

Nekhemevich

To break through all barriers and free yourself from labels you must be able to expect the unexpected and challenge yourself to reach even the impossible. If you really want to achieve dreams it starts with you.

Colin20G

You're basically asking to toss a coin and get 1000 tails in a row. There are dreams and dreams. really.