Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 3 days ago · Quote · #2901

GreedyPawnEater

Irinasdaddy wrote:
    GreedyPawnEater wrote:

yes. it's not that hard. 2700 players make terrible blunders once in a while.

If it's not that hard, then you've clearly done it before, right?

not yet but of course i can do it given enough opportunities to play 2700 GM. it's not a big deal. if he blunders an exchange or a pawn he is dead. even a 2000 player can beat the world champ being an exchange up

• 3 days ago · Quote · #2902

letsplaychess1996

There is a chance that anyone can beat a 2700 rated player. Lets say someone who does not know the rules of chess plays an infinite number of games against the 2700 rated player. Since he does not know the rules he moves a random piece to a random square on each of his moves. He will win an infinite number of games, because of the theoretical chance of him only doing best moves in a game.

• 24 hours ago · Quote · #2903

Irinasdaddy

Ok, let's tackle this one at a time:

Greedy, your online standard rating is above average.  You still wouldn't beat a 2700 with pawn odds.  You're not beating a 2700-rated player in a standard control game up a rook for a bishop.  This thread is about someone rated 1300.

letsplaychess: first of all, if your argument includes infinity, you need a better argument.  Second of all, a 1300-rated player KNOWS THE RULES, so they won't make sheerly random moves.  They will use their flawed judgment.  Finally, even if they DID make random moves, the 2700-rated player would make infinite NON-RANDOM moves, meaning that in the end, their judgment would STILL prevail.  Infinity is a nice catch-all that people who don't understand statistics and probability try to use.  

• 15 hours ago · Quote · #2904

Ziryab

There's a chance that some posters (luigi in another thread) could offer a logical statement backed by evidence, but I would not put money on it. Betting against is too close to a sure thing.

Same with the chances of the 1300.

• 14 hours ago · Quote · #2905

DjonniDerevnja

But if the 2700 blunders his king? Remember , a 1300 is strong enough to survive 40 moves against a 2700, but probably a couple of pawns down with a lost position.

• 11 hours ago · Quote · #2906

Jimmykay

DjonniDerevnja wrote:

But if the 2700 blunders his king? Remember , a 1300 is strong enough to survive 40 moves against a 2700, but probably a couple of pawns down with a lost position.

Really? A 1300 player would not make it to move 40 down 2 pawns or less more than 1 in 500 times, at best.

• 3 hours ago · Quote · #2907

Ziryab

Most 1300s don't last thirty moves in a simul against a 2400.

• 2 hours ago · Quote · #2908

Irinasdaddy

DjonniDerevnja wrote:

200 players don't blunder their kings against 1300 players.  It just doesn't happen.  The only example i've ever been able to find was Kramnik vs. Deep Fritz, but even then, that was in a tense position against the best computer out there at the time in a match being followed all around the world.  You're essentially asking, "What if a stop sign was the color nine?"

• 2 hours ago · Quote · #2909

imsighked2

I'm sure a 2700 player would not want to play a 1300-rated player, because it likely would not be a challenge, so I don't see anyone having a chance to prove any of this.

• 2 hours ago · Quote · #2910

Irinasdaddy

Jimmykay wrote:
    DjonniDerevnja wrote:

Really? A 1300 player would not make it to move 40 down 2 pawns or less more than 1 in 500 times, at best.

Also, for the record, I'm rated 1800 on this site in correspondence.  I've had 4 games against an IM rated 2200.  I've been able to survive past move 30 ONCE.  I am 500 points above a 1300-rated player, FearNoEvil is 500 points below 2700, and I couldn't get to 40 moves in four tries.  You're making an awfully large, dumb assumption to just figure a 1300-rated player will make it to 40 moves against a 2700.  The last 1300 I played in G/60 OTB I had crushed in 9 moves, although he dragged it out until I mated him on move 31.  

Post your reply: