Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #2881

chess_gg

RetiFan wrote:

As the OP and the imbecile(Oh why i just called myself imbecile, please search around some older posts for that!), 

Of course you know I don't think you are an imbecile...I was just "smoking out" my stalker and having a little fun at your expense.

But I will addd...look at all the pleasure and pain you've caused with this thread. It's an ongoing saga.

However, this is definitely the last of this thread. What more can be said that hasn't been said?

The End

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2882

cookiemonster161140

Many years ago in a galaxy far away active in OTB play, as a 1600 player I beat a 2230. As an 1800 I beat a 2300 but in each case in subsequent rounds I lost to lower rateds.

Also while an A player I beat a 2500 IM (in an 18 board simul) and drew with Fritz on full strengh and drew vs a super-gm.

Is it possible for a 1300 player to beat a 2700 player? Yes. But not likely. They'd have a better chance winning the lottery.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2883

TheGrobe

Only there's no way to use computer assistance to win the lottery.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2884

JoseO

Not entirely true since there are wheeling systems that help improve the odds of winning a lottery but essentially your statement is correct.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2885

bigpoison

Way back in the day, I knocked Joe Louis to the canvas.  Then only a couple years later, I for some reason, had dropped two weight classes and knocked out Jake LaMotta.  Somehow, though, after both of those fights, I lost to club fighters in little towns.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2886

Jimmykay

JoseO wrote:

Not entirely true since there are wheeling systems that help improve the odds of winning a lottery but essentially your statement is correct.

If you implying that wheeling systems give you positive EV, I would like to see the mathematical argument.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2887

TheGrobe

When I was 17 I convinced myself that there must be an advantage to a wheeling strategy.  I was convinced enough (and probably bored enough) that I ran the combinatorial probabilities thoroughly.  Conclusion?  Your odds per dollar spent are exactly the same.  Not a little better, not a little worse, exactly the same.

I'd never heard of a wheeling strategy until just now, though.  I thought it was something I'd invented.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2888

cosmicharmonic

bigpoison wrote:

Way back in the day, I knocked Joe Louis to the canvas.  Then only a couple years later, I for some reason, had dropped two weight classes and knocked out Jake LaMotta.  Somehow, though, after both of those fights, I lost to club fighters in little towns.

"Joe Louis was a gentleman; a real gentleman."

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2889

Jimmykay

TheGrobe wrote:

When I was 17 I convinced myself that there must be an advantage to a wheeling strategy.  I was convinced enough (and probably bored enough) that I ran the combinatorial probabilities thoroughly.  Conclusion?  Your odds per dollar spent are exactly the same.  Not a little better, not a little worse, exactly the same.

I'd never heard of a wheeling strategy until just now, though.  I thought it was something I'd invented.

That is impressive to come up with on your own, but I agree with your math. There is no advantage to be gained. Might as well ask the oracle.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2890

AlCzervik

bigpoison wrote:

I was one of those club fighters. I got myself pumped up 'cause I heard you had trashed some legends.

Then, of course, my head got big and I started losing bar brawls.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #2891

Ziryab

I've beaten Magnus Carlsen several times.

Post your reply: