Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
2movemate

It's possible of course, but so probabilistically unlikely it would almost never happen ever in real life unless the GM falls asleep and loses on time or something. The 1300's best chance would be to memorize some completely obscure not known at all trap opening, and even if the GM has never seen it before 99.999999% of the time they will not fall from it just because of their instincts and ability to see far ahead.

pt22064

One of my sons once won a prize for biggest upset in a tournament. I think it was a500 or 600 point differential. Of course, my son was probably slightly under-rated since he had only just started playing. Also at lower ratings, players can make big blunders that even players several hundred points lower can take advantage of. GMs rated 2700 make few mistakes, and their mistakes are rather subtle.

Rasparovov wrote:

tieics wrote:

I think if there is 300 ELO point difference between  two players it's no point playing the game. Practically the player with lower ELO has 0 winning chance.

I won against a guy rated 509 points ahead of me. With black. After 23 moves.

Ziryab

I gave up a 500+ point upset in a game 10. 1400 points is a whole other kettle of fish, especially whan you consider that 2700 is not just some GM, but a member of the world's elite and a household name among chess playing families.

strngdrvnthng

If the rating difference is 735 or more the higher rated player should win 100% of the games. If the difference is between 291-302 then the higher rated player should win 85%.

Suvel

unlikely

houdini1_5a

Possible if 1300 has 16 pieces and 2700 has a king.

pt22064

It's also possible that the 2700 player is letting the 1300 win - for example, if he is the coach and wants to encourage the student and build the student's confidence. I also know parents that let their kids win at games in general, especially if their kids get upset when they lose. I myself have never purposely lost to my kids or even intentionally made a bad move in a game against them, although I used to let them take back moves ("are you sure you want to make that move?") or pointed out threats. Nowadays, they are better than me -- and they never show me any mercy!

SmyslovFan

Pt, the stipulation was a tournament/match where the 2700 had an incentive to win.

psiphi1

simply stated: yes

TetsuoShima
psiphi1 wrote:

yes,IF,the higher ranked is giving a simultaneous,plays skittles,doesn't take his opp. seriously or gives him odds. But if you mean a tournament game,then the ansswer is still YES,but very rarely. How? Being human we are all susceptible to aberrations,loss of concentration,errors,or just plain didn't see  it,or looking a forced mate 17 moves deep and getting so excited that he plays move 14 for move 13-THE GAME IS LOST.   This actually happened to a player!!

there was a tournament were a 2700 rated player played a 1300 rated player?????

what was the tournament called??

Atomic_Rift

John Nunn lost to a kid.

psiphi1

to be entertained by a chess bookas well as being amazed and reading some neat stories,try to locate:  The Fireside Book of Chess!  The absolute best and most entertaining book upon chess,players,anecdotes,odd but true,short stories,a compilation of the world's most exciting games,and much more. I still have a copy from45 yrs. ago.

TetsuoShima
Atomic_Rift wrote:

John Nunn lost to a kid.

was his name Magnus Carlsen??

Atomic_Rift
TetsuoShima wrote:
Atomic_Rift wrote:

John Nunn lost to a kid.

No, LOL! Laughing

Atomic_Rift
Atomic_Rift wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:
Atomic_Rift wrote:

John Nunn lost to a kid.

No, LOL! 

It was this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Howell_(chess_player)

Atomic_Rift
HotFlow wrote:
Atomic_Rift wrote:

John Nunn lost to a kid.

Playing chess?

Yes, and because of that most kids on chesskid.com thinks he's a terrible chess player! Frown

psiphi1

tetsuo shima,my apologies;the 17 move forced mate that was lost due to a move out of order was by  two(2) masters,not a 1300 vs. 1700 player. should have made that clear.

psiphi1

i mean a 1300 and             2700  layer,enough.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Dr. Nunn is one of my favorite players.

SmyslovFan

I really enjoy Nunn's books, especially Secrets of Grandmaster Play and Secrets of Practical Chess. His comments in the latter are piquant and concise and his examples are excellent. 

Dr. Nunn has won several awards for his books, including the British Chess Federation's Book of the year for Secrets of Grandmaster Play.

Some of Nunn's games do feel a bit trappy to me, but his books have helped me to think more concretely. 

And I agree with Pfren that mocking Dr. Nunn for losing to a kid (who just so happened to become the youngest GM in the history of the UK) is completely inappropriate.