Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
KairavJoshi

Join Chess.com University and start improving your chess today!

http://www.chess.com/groups/join?id=8893

DjonniDerevnja

Johan dont have any titles yet, as far as I know.  

Here is a game Johan played in Gibraltar, beating an IM in a virtous way. I guess even Magnus would have been proud of a game like that.

http://www.nordstrandsjakk.no/?p=2352

Ubik42
Vibhav_G wrote:

I belive in elo system

You are a minority on this thread. Argument should have been settled back on page 3, or whatever page I first posted on.

Ziryab

dezsoracz wrote:

NO.

Ubik42

CouldbeYue wrote:

YES

KairavJoshi

NoOneHere wrote:

WHAT

Elubas
Math0t wrote:
Elubas wrote:

assuming a monkey can be trained to play chess

Actually the monkey does not have to be trained, it just has to somehow (coincidentally) make a legal move once in a while.

I like this post lol, way back from page 3.

hot_as_the_sun

Can a 1300 player beat a 2700 player yes, can a 1100 player, yes; can a 900 player yes: can a monkey drawing random but legal moves from an urn; YES! It is just a matter of probabiliy; 1/10,000, 1/100,000, 1/1,000,000 etc If you play enough games and your game is less than perfect eventually you will lose. So how come we don't see these games in the literature? Well how many times has a 2700 played a 1300 in a tournament? The question is CAN not HOW LIKELY.

TheGrobe

Still ridiculous after all these years.

DjonniDerevnja

The highrated ones often sit on table one. There  was a teammatch in our club on Sunday, and the only player rated above 2880 ended up playing our strongest GM. So the possibilty of a 2700+ meeting a 1300 is limited.

http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/sjakk/Magnus-Carlsen-sjokkerte-med-opprykkskamp-i-norsk-1-divisjon-426932_1.snd#.UzET8615Mxk

And I wasnt there to watch  :(

SmyslovFan

Wow, Djonni, that was really cool! I hope you had a friend who got his autograph for you. 

I wonder if this means he'll play for Norway at the next Olympiad?

DjonniDerevnja

I got no autograph, but I guess Vladimir got it on the notationcard.

In the Olympiad people are talking about Magnus Carlsen, Simen Agdestein and Jon Ludvig Hammer for Norway. I am not sure about how many that are going to play, and they are clearly Norwegian top three now, but there are som young ones with fast improvement. Vladimir might play for Macedonia, if he qualifies there.

Ziryab
TheGrobe wrote:

Still ridiculous after all these years.

SmyslovFan

Norway will get clobbered, but not as badly as previous years, with that line up. 

I do hope Carlsen plays tho! If he does play every round, there's a chance he could play a ~2000 rated opponent in one of the later rounds!

DjonniDerevnja

I think Norway does improve a lot. Simen is our legend, our first Gm, and the start of our progress. Actually I think he stopped great progress when his knee got injured and he had to stop National tean soccer, but it looks like he has a new progress now.

Jon Ludvig have been playing much stronger after hes job as analyzer for Magnus in VM. He did a very large job, and it di pay off.

Magnus is so strong that he won against my coach. And it was no sensation.

This is the all time strongest Norwegian team, bur still, we are a very tiny country with only 10 or 11 GM´s. The larger countries are the favourites.

Daniel_2002

I beat Rybka

(with queen odds)

chesswar1000
pfren wrote:

Excellent chances to win, unless he wakes up.

quote: Bisguier-Fischer

hot_as_the_sun

DANIEL-2002  LOL!

Cavatine

Actually it's not too hard to imagine a situation where a player rated 1300 could beat a player rated 2700.  It could be a 1300 from an isolated group of extremely strong players all rated around 1300 (maybe sort of Carlsen octuplets or Polgar octuplets, right?), and the 2700 could be high at the top of an isolated group of players who are all very bad at playing, objectively.  The 1300 could trounce the 2700 readily, it's just that the rating system is comparative, rather than objective in its measurements.

ClavierCavalier

Cavatine, it was already established that these were FIDE ratings, which means, to get to 2700, that player has to play in many of the top international tournaments.  Even if it isn't FIDE, then it is still silly.  If we were to play 1,000 games, and you threw every game, I'd never reach 2700 because it'll get to the point where I'm gaining nothing in rating points.  The only way that this would be possible would be if the 2700 was based on some rating system developed by this isolated group, meaning the number has no meaning to anyone else.

The idea an elite group of 1300s who refuse to play rated tournament games sounds a bit more realistic, although bizzare, because they could refuse to gain rating points.  Sounds almost like some sort of secret chess society.