Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
SmyslovFan
dumpstertrash wrote:

im a 1050 in blitz and beat a 2200 in a tournament the other day. of course this is because his connection failed...

The stipulation was that it be a game where both sides are trying to win and it be an official (USCF/FIDE) rated game.

Sred

Probably someone else already did this, but I'm not gonna read the whole thread. So I used a page which calculates winning chances from ELO numbers. The result is

RetiFan
Sred yazmış:

Probably someone else already did this, but I'm not gonna read the whole thread. So I used a page which calculates winning chances from ELO numbers. The result is

This is a more optimistic result than the previously calculated 0.000125

landwehr
TetsuoShima wrote:
landwehr wrote:

definitely, if the 1300 player never resigns and lasts long enough for the 2700 player to blunder big time and lose the game...it is worth the risk...so stay in the game no matter how hopeless your 1300 situation is

with that atitude you might as well start playing lottery

a multitude of chess.com players are already playing in the lottery because they never resign no matter what the situation

BTP_Excession

2700 is really super-high. Very very hard for them to make errors unless put under the sort of pressure sub-2500 players simply won't be able to exert on them.

I think the best chance would be if the 1300 player happens to have prepared an opening trap with an engine and the GM falls into it in a simul/blitz or something.

I can't see any chance this is happening if the 1300 has to think for himself (not that super-GM's tend to fall into opening traps for that matter eitherbut an engine might be able to find a nasty one).

And it better be the sort of trap that mates or at least nets the 1300 the Queen for no compensation.

VLaurenT
BTP_Excession wrote:

2700 is really super-high. Very very hard for them to make errors unless put under the sort of pressure sub-2500 players simply won't be able to exert on them.

I think the best chance would be if the 1300 player happens to have prepared an opening trap with an engine and the GM falls into it in a simul/blitz or something.

I can't see any chance this is happening if the 1300 has to think for himself (not that super-GM's tend to fall into opening traps for that matter eitherbut an engine might be able to find a nasty one).

And it better be the sort of trap that mates or at least nets the 1300 the Queen for no compensation.

I wouldn't expect a 2700 level player to have this kind of hole in his opening repertoire ! Smile

Pre_VizsIa

Please, please let this thread die.

duck_and_cover

every 1300 player with Carlsen's strength can beat a 2700.

Atomic_Rift

If that player had Carlsen's strength wouldn't he be higher than a 1300? Lumpy

Knightly_News

I just noticed that 1300 and 2700 add up to an even 4000.  

The fact that it is evenly divisible by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 means, yes, you can beat a 2700 under certain circumstances.

RetiFan
reflectivist yazmış:

I just noticed that 1300 and 2700 add up to an even 4000.  

The fact that it is evenly divisible by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 means, yes, you can beat a 2700 under certain circumstances.

Number Theory, right?

MyUsernameWontWork

of course.

the 1300 player could be better, but not play online as much.

also the 2700 player could make a bad mistake.

iddo111

Maybe,if the 1300 player's coach taught him a stratagy that is played only like 4 times in chess history and than,Maybe the 1300 player will win.But only in a small chance

oegiwoegi

after 10 beers maybe

coalescenet
oegiwoegi wrote:

after 10 beers maybe

Laughing

Yepimnew

I get careless and lose to people I could normally easily beat. I imagine this would happen less for the grand masters, but it is possible.

RetiFan

Should you get a chance and a queen and land,

Priests and knights and folks to command,

What's stopping you from beating the world,

Since all you need is inside your hand?

ANSWER

You can have a chance and a queen and land,

Priests and knights and folks to command,

If you're not a king as a real king is,

Then all you have will be dusts in sand.

SnatchPato

Possible: Yes.

Likely: No.

Simplest answer. 

iddo111

The biggest chance will be if the 1300 player is a sand begger and the 2700 player just stopped playing turnaments for 10 years,than there might be a big chance there

ClavierCavalier
iddo111 wrote:

The biggest chance will be if the 1300 player is a sand begger and the 2700 player just stopped playing turnaments for 10 years,than there might be a big chance there

I'm not even sure then.  Didn't Kasparov say Fischer was playing around 2500-2600 range when he returned to face Spassky again?  Wasn't that around 20 years after Fischer stopped?  He was the first 2700+ player, so a 10 year gap wasn't enough to drop him past the 2000 mark.