Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
iddo111

ClavierCavalier,I said "the 1300 could be a sand begger" a sand begger is someone is someone who loses on purpes to get to a lower rating,then to win in low rated turnaments and get the money.So the sand begger might of droped from 2800 to 1300 on purpes to win money,so that I said "maybe the 2700 didn't play in turnaments in 10 years" isn't really importent,It's just like the chance that a 2800 will win a 2700.

Ziryab

The first diagram demonstrates how a 1300 player handles an advantage against a 1900.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2013/04/blunders.html

Of course, he would be more relaxed and play better moves after a blunder by a member of the WORLD TOP FIFTY.

ClavierCavalier

Oh, I guess that evens the odds.  Actually,a sand begger could be one who should challenge Carlsen but their actual rating is 657.  This gives some better odds for the 1300's!

AndyClifton
Timothy_P wrote:

Please, please let this thread die.

I've prayed, I've cajoled, I've even written a letter to my congressman...nothing seems to work.

RetiFan
AndyClifton yazmış:
Timothy_P wrote:

Please, please let this thread die.

I've prayed, I've cajoled, I've even written a letter to my congressman...nothing seems to work.

I remember the times that this topic had just started and I was thinking like, yeah interesting topic but there's not much to say other than some statistics and "if the GM gets poisoned" jokes. Seems that I was wrong.

Marcokim

This thread refuses to die... but we can actually test it... ask Fabiano Caruana 2754 (who is chess.com member) for a 15|0 match...

On a more serious note did you see how Fab destroyed one of the CMs on this site in a 10min blitz, it was like playing with a child. It looked like my uncle playing with his 5yr old nephew. He read whites strategy from a mile away and dismantled him with amazing ease. And thats a 1900 rated blitz player BTW, imagine a 1300 rated player?!!

Anyway it goes to tell you how much more skilled a GM is. As Kasparov once said "when a GM looks at a position he sees his old girlfriend, an average player sees the nose hairs"

CabassoG

It has happend but it is so rare. Just see the fishing pole trap (though that was a simul

madhacker
oegiwoegi wrote:

after 10 beers maybe

Aha, the old alcohol handicap! One beer before the game for every 100 points rating difference perhaps?

SmyslovFan
CabassoG wrote:

It has happend but it is so rare. Just see the fishing pole trap (though that was a simul

When has it happened? Who was the 2700+ player who lost, and do you have the moves?

Grunfeld-Defense

A blunder like loosing queen for pawn is probably not enought for 1300vs 2700, maybe 5 blunders is enough though

Elubas

It may live on because intuition tells you there is just too much control for the GM to ever allow such a thing. But a lot of things can happen when a quadrillion of games are played. GMs have tons of control, just not 100%.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

If the 1300 beat the 2700, would we still be able to use the 1300 rating accurately? Wouldn't the most up-to-date rating be the post-game rating?

Elubas

It's interesting because the "beating" of someone and the change in rating occur at the same time (otherwise where would you draw the line -- gain points 5 seconds after you win? 5 minutes? 5 hours? It would be totally arbitrary. Of course OTB the "official" rating change will take longer but solely for logistical reasons). And by that logic you'd also have to take into account the 2700 -- the 2700 that got beat may have been a 2900 or something before and may have lost 200 points or something by the time he lost the game.

So perhaps the question, to reflect its intended meaning should be more like "Is there any chance that a person who starts a game as a 1300 beat a player who starts it as a 2700?"

Natalia_Pogonina

We've been keeping track of such upsets in the David vs. Goliath column for quite a while. The highest one was a 1586 beating a 2331, 745 points difference.

Btw, today ex-Women's World Chess Champion Hou Yifan (2617) lost to Batchimeg (2298). Quite an upset.

trysts

I watched the Hou game today. It was amazing how quickly things fell apart for HouCry

Jacobsan

NO

AndyClifton
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

Btw, today ex-Women's World Chess Champion Hou Yifan (2617) lost to Batchimeg (2298). Quite an upset.

Wow, is that Tuvshintugs?  I played (and lost) to her a couple of times...and she beat Grefe as well.  Very tough (and impressive) player; glad to see she's doing well against the big guns. Smile

tliu1222

Well, a guy tried to Scholar's Mate me! I almost fell for it, and maybe a much higher rated player isn't expecting it and falls for it!

AndyClifton

lol

trysts
tliu1222 wrote:

Well, a guy tried to Scholar's Mate me! I almost fell for it, and maybe a much higher rated player isn't expecting it and falls for it!

Or maybe the much higher rated player assumes that that's the only opening you knowLaughing