Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Isn't Giri overrated?


  • 11 months ago · Quote · #21

    macer75

    Who's schipper?

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #22

    RatDogFriday

    Krestez wrote:

    He blunders very frequently in his games and finishes on the last spots in the super GM tournaments (He's currently a clear last in the Grand Prix in Paris) He is indeed a great player but he's hovering around in top 20 and I find a lot of players below him on the rating list much better.

    "a lot"?

    Name...5.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #23

    chiaroscuro62

    Here are 4.  Just horrible.  I never blunder like these.

    http://chess-db.com/public/img/pgnv/blunders.jsp?id=24116068&name=Anish%20Giri

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #24

    Ziryab

    SmyslovFan wrote:

    I don't know if Wesley So is currently living in Europe, but in the past,  Americans who wanted to play in big tournaments moved to Europe for a year or more to do so. Perhaps So should consider taking up a summer residence in Paris?

    I believe that So is a student at Webster University in St. Louis, where he was recruited by Susan Polgar.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #25

    Krestez

    markgravitygood wrote:
    Krestez wrote:

    He blunders very frequently in his games and finishes on the last spots in the super GM tournaments (He's currently a clear last in the Grand Prix in Paris) He is indeed a great player but he's hovering around in top 20 and I find a lot of players below him on the rating list much better.

    "a lot"?

    Name...5.

    From the current October 2013 list... Anish Giri is on 15. Below him, clearly better players:

    Svidler, Morozevich, Ivanchuk, Kamsky, Radjabov. You said 5 so I stop, but seriously? Giri is not top 20 material. He's good but nowhere near that good. But I'm just a patzer. What do I know anyway??

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #26

    RatDogFriday

    Right, what do you know.

    You are what your OTB rating says you are. Where it falls on the list is a function of both your abilities and those around you.

    To complain about that is juvenile, at best, and misses the point.

    A valid complaint could be logged against Adams or Pono, however.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #27

    Krestez

    markgravitygood wrote:

    Right, what do you know.

    You are what your OTB rating says you are. Where it falls on the list is a function of both your abilities and those around you.

    To complain about that is juvenile, at best, and misses the point.

    A valid complaint could be logged against Adams or Pono, however.

    What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player! I didn't watch too many of Adams' games but of what I've heard he's a legend in UK chess. He's also been at the top for many years.

    And it is juvenile if I complain about Giri, but for Adams and Ponomariov it doesn't apply? Your logic, it hurts.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #28

    RatDogFriday

    Aquarii wrote:

    I though he was Indian I thought but now the Dutch claim him so I don't really know


    Giri is the son of a Nepalese father (Sanjay Giri),[2] and a Russian mother (Olga Giri).[3] Giri was born in St. Petersburg, Russia on 28 June 1994....Wkipedia

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #29

    RatDogFriday

    Krestez wrote:
    markgravitygood wrote:

    Right, what do you know.

    You are what your OTB rating says you are. Where it falls on the list is a function of both your abilities and those around you.

    To complain about that is juvenile, at best, and misses the point.

    A valid complaint could be logged against Adams or Pono, however.

    What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player! I didn't watch too many of Adams' games but of what I've heard he's a legend in UK chess. He's also been at the top for many years.

    And it is juvenile if I complain about Giri, but for Adams and Ponomariov it doesn't apply? Your logic, it hurts.

    I'm not going to debate the good or the bad, but to your point:

    Michael Adams was never World Champion.

    Pono won in 2002 in a KNOCKOUT tournament without Kramnik or Kasparov participating.

    I would make a better case with regard to your slashing the top 20 against both of those players as opposed to Anish.

    Of course, that's opinion too, but you did ask, so there is that.

    I think you will find Giri will progress up that list over the next couple of years, while Adams and Pono will decline. I have no doubt.

    Again, your logic hurts against Giri - you are what you are when it comes to real OTB ratings. If you are in the top 20, you probably deserve it, even if you dislike the player.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #30

    Ziryab

    RatDogFriday wrote:
    Krestez wrote:

    What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player!

    I'm not going to debate the good or the bad, but to your point:

    Michael Adams was never World Champion.

    Pono won in 2002 in a KNOCKOUT tournament without Kramnik or Kasparov participating.

    It is important to use the term FIDE World Champion to distinguish certain claimants from the line of legitimate Chess World Champions from Steinitz to Anand.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #31

    Krestez

    RatDogFriday wrote:
    Krestez wrote:
    markgravitygood wrote:

    Right, what do you know.

    You are what your OTB rating says you are. Where it falls on the list is a function of both your abilities and those around you.

    To complain about that is juvenile, at best, and misses the point.

    A valid complaint could be logged against Adams or Pono, however.

    What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player! I didn't watch too many of Adams' games but of what I've heard he's a legend in UK chess. He's also been at the top for many years.

    And it is juvenile if I complain about Giri, but for Adams and Ponomariov it doesn't apply? Your logic, it hurts.

    I'm not going to debate the good or the bad, but to your point:

    Michael Adams was never World Champion.

    Pono won in 2002 in a KNOCKOUT tournament without Kramnik or Kasparov participating.

    I would make a better case with regard to your slashing the top 20 against both of those players as opposed to Anish.

    Of course, that's opinion too, but you did ask, so there is that.

    I think you will find Giri will progress up that list over the next couple of years, while Adams and Pono will decline. I have no doubt.

    Again, your logic hurts against Giri - you are what you are when it comes to real OTB ratings. If you are in the top 20, you probably deserve it, even if you dislike the player.

    Why would I dislike him? I judged him objectively. In fact, he looks like a nice guy, unlike Nakamura for example, who is very arrogant. And of course Ponomariov (who beat Ivanchuk to win the World Championship, and that guy was a beast 10 years ago) and Adams are starting to decline. Ponomariov is 30 and Adams is 40+!, while Giri is not even 20. There's no comparison. I find Ponomariov's chess much more efficient. Giri blunders too much for an elite player.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #32

    TetsuoShima

    I dont think Nakamura is really arrogant. I mean he is nit very outgoing so its really hard to judge him as a person, not that u can judge anyone. Its just hard to get an impression.

    But i Never thought he was arrogant to be honest.

    He speaks normally

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #33

    RatDogFriday

    Ziryab wrote:
    RatDogFriday wrote:
    Krestez wrote:

    What? Ponomariov is ex-World Champion and he's a very strong player!

    I'm not going to debate the good or the bad, but to your point:

    Michael Adams was never World Champion.

    Pono won in 2002 in a KNOCKOUT tournament without Kramnik or Kasparov participating.

    It is important to use the term FIDE World Champion to distinguish certain claimants from the line of legitimate Chess World Champions from Steinitz to Anand.

    Right. Those were the dark days of Professional Chess.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #34

    chessmicky

    A rating is based on the strength of your opponents and your results, so exactly how is Giri supposed to be "overrated?" A chess rating isn't like beauty contest; every rating point Giri has, he took away from another grandmaster in direct competition the idea that he is overrated just makes no sense.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #35

    chesshole

    Krestez wrote:
    chessmaster102 wrote:
    Krestez wrote:
    chessmaster102 wrote:

    who ever talks about him like he is overated.

    Please speak english.

    no one really speaks of him highly anyway so hes never been considered overated.

    Oh, sorry. I don't know why but when I read it the first time I thought you meant something else :))

    no, you were right the first time.  he should have used a question mark instead of a period :))

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #36

    Aquarii

    you guys complain about him but you cant answer 1 simple damm question. how did he get there in the first place? if nobody can answer this question you are not worthy of making threads because you dont listen to the other side of the argument

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #37

    fabelhaft

    One of the stronger tournaments Giri has won, Reggio Emilia January 2012:


Back to Top

Post your reply: