Forums

Just 4 away from surpassing Kasparov

Sort:
Chess4001

http://www.2700chess.com/ gives great up to date ratings of the top 40-50 ish players.

It also shows that Carlsen has a whopping 2848 after beating Anand at the GS Masters Final tournament. 

Interestingly enouguh, Kamsky now surpasses Naka by 1 place (11 to 12!) after Naka did poorly at the FIDE Grand prix. Kamsky's rating is above his by just aa tenth of a point!

Caruana climbed up to the top 5.

heinzie

*stay tuned for the latest rating updates*

shepi13

For it to count though, it has to be an official rating though right?

If Carlsen is above 2851 on this live list, but goes back down before official ratings are published (I believe they are monthly), then he hasn't technically passed Kasparov. Am I correct?

beardogjones

Kamsky played well against Naka in US open but then lost his

way in a better position rather disappointingly. He may need some

psychological boosting to get to the next level. Naka's game is

volatile but he often has excellent sense of the tactics in a position.

sapientdust

@shepi13, yes, the official FIDE rating list, not the unofficial live list, is what counts for records, but if Carlsen cared enough about not risking the record, he could just take a break for a few months the instant his live rating passes the record and wait for the next FIDE list to come out.

@Powerlevel_9001, yeah, Caruana is extremely impressive. I think he'll pretty soon be among the top three, and the next few years will feature Carlsen at the top, with Aronian and Caruana jockeying back and forth for 2nd and 3rd, with these three being the only three 2800+ GMs for a while, and a sizable gap between them and the rest of the top 10.

corpsporc
sapientdust wrote:

With [Carlsen,Caruana,Aronian] being the only three 2800+ GMs for a while, and a sizable gap between them and the rest of the top 10.

I disagree, Kramnik has been sitting just below Aronian for a while, and if Anand performs again the way he did just a couple of years ago, he would be 2820+inflation.

sapientdust

@corpsporc, Yes, I might be wrong on "only three 2800+ GMs" for a while. Kramnik and maybe one or two others might break 2800 in the near future and stay there, but I feel more confident that Carlsen, Aronian and Caruana will be in their own private tier. 

If Kramnik and a couple of other people manage to break 2800 and stay there, then 2850 will become the new 2800, and it'll just be Carlsen, Aronian, and Caruana there ;-).

konhidras

The changing of the guards.

cagature

I feel like Nakamura could also hit 2800, but he also could fall down to 2750 and stay there too. He's quite unpredictable.

Karjakin and Radjabov aren't that old either and will likely be in the top 10 for a long time.

konhidras

I hope these two guys meet in a set match. Nakamura vs Carlsen. I hope nakamura wins.