Forums

just a Game . Not a War .. Do you agree ? and why ??

Sort:
DrSpudnik

My f-pawn is hanging!!!

ivandh
Wewsson wrote:

could you both please stop fighting,  i served in the marine corps, the navy seals, the army rangers and green berets,  yes , chess is war, and yes , im better than both of yall. e4nf3, dont pay him no mind, he's just bitter cuz he's not like you and me.   

You weren't also in the Royal Marines? Wuss.

netzach

I was in the marines, SAS, MI6, & the boy-scouts. Lost four legs, three ears &  several fingers over the years but never dented my spirit.

cabadenwurt

OK are we having fun yet ? lol. The term that may be of some use here is WAR-GAME ! Yes Chess is a war-game in the form of a board-game ( so as not to confuse Chess with Armies that go on manoeuvers to play war-games for training ). Chess is of course not the only board game that is a war-game, I have several others one of which is called " 1914 " and this " war-game " is based on the Western Front of World War One. The war-game " 1914 " comes with a large foldout map and is best laid out on a good-sized table. The main point here is that there is no danger of either me or my opponent getting injured while playing the game " 1914 " because it is only a war-game ( yes a GAME ! ). To sum-up ( for my pal with the famous sum-up thread  lol ) Chess is only a GAME, tho of course it is also a WAR-GAME.  

e4nf3

But I'm an idiot.

Yes...we both agree.

BTW...those wax choppers are atrocious. Go see a dentist. (lol)

netzach

e4nf3

I've seen some god-awful ones, but the upper right "takes the cake".

Anyway, the OP asked for posters' opinions. I presented mine. He didn't like it. So, his panties got in a bunch, and he had a conniption fit.

BTW...I had a wonderful Father's Day. Hope everyone one else who is a father did, as well. Long live fatherhood!

e4nf3
Syrtis wrote:

"Chess is ruthless: you've got to be prepared to kill people." Nigel Short.

I don't suggest you actually kill your opponent, or anyone else, but that seems to sum up how the professionals view the game.  I don't even have the option of slapping my opponent with a wet fish, the best I can muster is a rude comment about his manhood on a postcard.

I liked the sentiment here. Only thing I differ with is that I no longer call the opposition: "my opponent". It is: "my enemy".  Let's say it like it is. War is war!

netzach
e4nf3 wrote:

I've seen some god-awful ones, but the upper right "takes the cake".

Anyway, the OP asked for posters' opinions. I presented mine. He didn't like it. So, his panties got in a bunch, and he had a conniption fit. What an idiot! (lol)

BTW...I had a wonderful Father's Day. Hope everyone one else who is a father did, as well. Long live fatherhood!

Yes indeed & happy-Father's day to all !

(actually forgot who OP was ! :)) evidently was Brad Pitt...

winerkleiner

All joking aside, all veterns deserve respect, they put themselves in danger for all of us in the U.S.

frankfrankly

Best games come out of the players who play it in a the war mode, yet once  it is over , we should shake hands to play again.

Huskie99
winerkleiner wrote:

All joking aside, all veterns deserve respect, they put themselves in danger for all of us in the U.S.

Well said - whether you agree with the use of war as a metaphor for chess or not, hats off to e4Nf3 and all others like him who have put their lives on the line and served.

e4nf3

Thanks. Back in the day, it was mandatory to serve in the military. It was considered a duty. My dad before me was in the Army in WW2.

Nowadays, it is an option. And, considering how the politicians misuse the military...and most of them haven't served and would not send their own children...I have full respect for those who do serve, but I would not recommend it to anyone.

summersolstice

I see it as just a game in the sense that before a game and after a game I don't care about the result:D however during a game I am very competive! and in terms of the question about it being a war I see it as a sort of minature war:lol:

bigpoison
e4nf3 wrote:

Thanks. Back in the day, it was mandatory to serve in the military. It was considered a duty. My dad before me was in the Army in WW2.

Nowadays, it is an option. And, considering how the politicians misuse the military...and most of them haven't served and would not send their own children...I have full respect for those who do serve, but I would not recommend it to anyone.

What are you on about now?  There's never been compulsory military service in the U.S.

Here_Is_Plenty

Wargames eh?  Now I can't get the idea of Paintball Chess out of my head, where pieces explode over your opponent in bright colours.  Thanks, guys.

K300

good game!

bigpoison
joeydvivre wrote:

"There's never been compulsory military service in the U.S."

Say what?  There was a draft in WW II, resurrected in the Korean War and kept in place at least theoretically until the early 1970's.  Before that there were drafts in the Civil War, a topic explored in the great movie "Gangs of New York" where they had draft riots.  

There has never been compulsory military service for nearly everyone like ther is in many countries, but if you are drafted it's pretty close to compulsory.

Yup, there have even been peace time drafts.  It's clear you took my point from reading your final paragraph. 

e4nf3

bigpoison: What are you on about now?  There's never been compulsory military service in the U.S.

Go do some homework about the selective service before you tell me I'm a liar. You are simply ignorant. I am living history of that era and am still in contact by email with Navy buddies and guys I went to H.S. who were in various branches of the military.

In my time, every male had to register with the selective service at age 18. You were then given a "draft card" which you carried around in your wallet. If there were certain issues...for example physical or mental disability, homosexuality, supposedly "conscientious objector" for which Cassius Clay (later known as Muhhamad Ali was given a hard time...go look up his draft saga, he was stripped of the HW title), etc.

I was classified: A1...meaning, you must serve. Some were: 4F...meaning, they didn't want you. Then there were other classifications in between those two. And, some guys got deferral...for college...meaning you were still gonna go, either when you graduated from college or if you dropped out. Also, there were exemptions for marriage...I knew one creep who did get married to avoid serving. The fairness of that always puzzled me...I could see exempting a guy who was married with kids, though.

In 1961, straight out of H.S., age 17, I joined the U.S.N. and served on active duty until age 21, then 2 years in the reserves. In my case, since I was under 18, I was considered a minor...and my parents had to sign the papers for me. If I didn't go then...I would have been drafted later. And, when they'd draft you, you didn't get to choose which branch. You'd normally become an Army grunt.

See what you made me explain all this because you couldn't be bothered to do some research?

Here_Is_Plenty

I am losing the thread of this.  Chess was in there somewhere wasn't it?