Forums

justus williams beat magnus

Sort:
johnyoudell

It looked like a five minute game - there are clocks.

It is a fine achievement for the young man. That we will hear more of him in time seems clear. There must be very good coaches in New York.

To burden him with "the next Bobby Fischer" tag would be unkind.

Griever3216

Nothing unusual about this one. They shook hands to agree on the result of the game and even toppled the black king. Ha! Nothing to see here, just trolling.

waffllemaster
johnyoudell wrote:

It is a fine achievement for the young man. That we will hear more of him in time seems clear. There must be very good coaches in New York.

Nope, look again.

LegoPirateSenior
waffllemaster wrote:
johnyoudell wrote:

Nope, look again.

Specifically here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z21qvvkZL80

I bet johnyoudell looked here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aL9bS9B7dc -- different game.

ivandh

Yes clearly this is far more definitive evidence than all the other games Carlsen has ever played. We should just go ahead and hand this dude I've never heard of the WC title.

APawnCanDream
ivandh wrote:

Yes clearly this is far more definitive evidence than all the other games Carlsen has ever played. We should just go ahead and hand this dude I've never heard of the WC title.

No, he must play Anand for the title, that is only fair. We'll just skip the Candidate tournament, he beat the supposed winner of it anyway. Somebody tell the others, I'm sure they will be disappointed but understand. Carlsen might write a letter to FIDE in protest however... :p

ivandh

Sarcasm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt",[1] usually conveyed through irony or understatement.[2] Most authorities distinguish sarcasm from irony;[3] however, others argue that sarcasm may or often does involve irony[4] or employs ambivalence.[5]

GenghisCant

Whilst missing the sarcasm himself, brilliant!

APawnCanDream
ivandh wrote:
Sarcasm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt",[1] usually conveyed through irony or understatement.[2] Most authorities distinguish sarcasm from irony;[3] however, others argue that sarcasm may or often does involve irony[4] or employs ambivalence.[5]

Oh I love this game! Here is mine;

com·pre·hen·sion [kom-pri-hen-shuhn] Show IPA

noun

the act or process of comprehending.
the state of being comprehended.
perception or understanding: His comprehension of physics is amazing for a young student.
capacity of the mind to perceive and understand; power to grasp ideas; ability to know.
Logic. the connotation of a term. Link

I was debating between comprehension and continue, but I think comprehension is best here. Your turn! ;)
Akatsuki64
[COMMENT DELETED]
FlagBearer

MC lost to my neigbour's daughter IM Ruqiya, surprise :p

MrDamonSmith

Williams fide rating is 2206. If Carlsen had a uscf rating it would be 2950-2980. I've sometimes lost to complete beginners after I'm so bored of playing a string of them just to be polite. Goof off unimportant games happen all the time.

MrDamonSmith

When Carlsen was Williams age he was around 2600. Not uscf but fide, those are the only two ratings you can compare

MrDamonSmith

But Williams has a fide rating because he does play fide tournaments all the time. He and his team get full time training, grandmaster coaching, funds to travel around the world and play in all the strongest tournaments. Just look up the tournament results. He gets around, as does the rest of the team he's on. Having an international rating is old stuff to these kids. They've been there and done that for years. His fide rating is accurate, look at the tournament results.

MrDamonSmith

And if you don't go by fide ratings then Carlsen and 96 or 97 others of the top 100 are all unrated.

MrDamonSmith

So, I can't help but wonder. Do you consider yourself a better player than those you beat that you just listed?

MrDamonSmith

Another thing. Why only 40 something seconds at the end? Was it an odds game, rook or Knight odds?Come on, be serious. Sure is odd its only the end of it. You'd think if Carlsen was playing, wow, gotta get this whole game. Unless you didn't want people

to see the whole game. Hmmm........ the camera was there THE WHOLE TIME or many others were but it was only important to film just the end. Odd. Hmmm.....

warrior689

Even if u dont go by fide rtngs. the rest of the world does. USCF and NCFP r the only other ratings i have heard of. we have to travel to. Its no diff.

Likhit1
warrior689 wrote:

Even if u dont go by fide rtngs. the rest of the world does. USCF and NCFP r the only other ratings i have heard of. we have to travel to. Its no diff.

There are very very few FIDE tourneys in the US.Atleast that's what i've heard.

SameOldFears

He's a 2300 guy, he's good at the casual level, maybe he playes at the Internet, but he'll never compete against Carlsen at the very top level tournaments. I don't think the US will have anyone good enough to replace Nakamura as of yet.