Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

justus williams beat magnus

• 15 months ago · Quote · #41

MrDamonSmith

So, I can't help but wonder. Do you consider yourself a better player than those you beat that you just listed?

• 15 months ago · Quote · #42

MrDamonSmith

Another thing. Why only 40 something seconds at the end? Was it an odds game, rook or Knight odds?Come on, be serious. Sure is odd its only the end of it. You'd think if Carlsen was playing, wow, gotta get this whole game. Unless you didn't want people

to see the whole game. Hmmm........ the camera was there THE WHOLE TIME or many others were but it was only important to film just the end. Odd. Hmmm.....

• 15 months ago · Quote · #43

warrior689

Even if u dont go by fide rtngs. the rest of the world does. USCF and NCFP r the only other ratings i have heard of. we have to travel to. Its no diff.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #44

Likhit1

warrior689 wrote:

Even if u dont go by fide rtngs. the rest of the world does. USCF and NCFP r the only other ratings i have heard of. we have to travel to. Its no diff.

There are very very few FIDE tourneys in the US.Atleast that's what i've heard.

• 11 months ago · Quote · #45

SameOldFears

He's a 2300 guy, he's good at the casual level, maybe he playes at the Internet, but he'll never compete against Carlsen at the very top level tournaments. I don't think the US will have anyone good enough to replace Nakamura as of yet.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #46

Mooxy

Justus beat Magnus because Magnus didn't start with a queen... Not to denote Justus or anything but it's kind of hard to beat a master without a queen

• 10 months ago · Quote · #47

superking500

Mooxy wrote:

Justus beat Magnus because Magnus didn't start with a queen... Not to denote Justus or anything but it's kind of hard to beat a master without a queen

what do you mean he didnt have a queen

• 7 months ago · Quote · #48

Anomaly777

SameOldFears wrote:

He's a 2300 guy, he's good at the casual level, maybe he playes at the Internet, but he'll never compete against Carlsen at the very top level tournaments. I don't think the US will have anyone good enough to replace Nakamura as of yet.

Conventional wisdom says that players like Williams will never compete at the highest level because even if he has the potential, the resources and backing aren't there. Right now he's focused on his academic goals. He isn't well off enough to have a full time chess coach and he's in public school. He has done exceedingly well at national scholastic tournaments and the few available FIDE events inspite of this. but it's worthy of note that Maurice Ashley didn't even start playing until he was 15, and by age 33 became a GM and eventually reached 2600 level. Williams and his close rivals have an enormous head start on someone like Maurice Ashley; Williams is an FM at 15 and his junior ranking goes up and down between #30 and #50 in the country (out of 43,000+ ranked juniors). 2700 is not a pipe dream.

• 7 months ago · Quote · #49

chessmicky

WHat's so hard to understand? Good players often lose a game or two to other good players, particularly in casual chess. This doesn't mean that the entire chess hierarchy us upended every time it happens. If you were to ask Justus if he was a stronger player than Magnus, his answer would be a loud NO! Of course you have to be pretty strong to win even one blitz game from Magnus, and Justus is pretty strong, but there's no reason to get hysterical.

As boring as it may be, there's a really aimple, accurate way to determine the relative strength of chess players: it's their FIDE ratings, Carlsen has the highest rating because he's the strongest player. It's really just that simple

Post your reply: