Forums

kicked out!

Sort:
Momadu

Has anyone really been pushed out of a group? I was actually actively playing, too.

In my ignorance, I chose to "vote" to resign a game where we were many points behind. Seemed appropriate given basic chess etiquette. To my amazement the admin, called me out saying "we do not resign."

Really, I thought this was vote chess.. Apparently not..I was told the admins get to make those decisions? Again..how does this mean vote chess? Then the kicked me out?

Does anyone agree? Or disagree..

dbull50

Really? Wow cannot believe they would kick you out for resigning. Its only right in a situation like that. I agree with you, bad admin decision.

onosson

That doesn't seem right... but then, in most democracies, some are more equal than others!

nwav

Which group?

Spiffe

If that's the whole story, then they did you a favor... it's not worth being part of a group that runs itself like that.

Seems kind of an odd story, though... how did they know you voted to resign?  Is there a way to see who voted for what in Vote Chess?

Momadu
Spiffe wrote:

If that's the whole story, then they did you a favor... it's not worth being part of a group that runs itself like that.

Seems kind of an odd story, though... how did they know you voted to resign?  Is there a way to see who voted for what in Vote Chess?

Clearly the admins can. I do not think the others can though. To be fair..I "was warned." When I again submitted a resign vote..all done.

TinLogician

Don't let it bother you.  There are lots of kiddies and overgrown kiddies that are members here.  It's something you have to live with at Chess.com.

bart225

Sounds stupid to me  , join an other group .

D_Blackwell

Without knowing more about the specifics, its hard to know if you were wronged.  If you had a vote, then you had the right to vote your conscience.  If the admins make the decisions and the 'vote' is just a sham, then you are probably better off gone.  Find a better group.  It is one thing for admins to have final say on certain matters (including votes if that is the rules of thier group) and not necessarily inappropriate, but it should be an open process.  There are tons of groups.  They did you a favor screwing you over.  You can move on to a better group.

Popinjay

I never get involved in chess groups. It’s just like high school. The only kind of group I like I’m afraid we can’t discuss in this forum.

oilybog

Weird.... it is a rational vote in certain situations to vote to "offer" a resign. Would it happen automatically? Or would the other team have to accept the resignation offer?

Sounds like good chess to me.

sebas4life
Popinjay wrote:

I never get involved in chess groups. It’s just like high school. The only kind of group I like I’m afraid we can’t discuss in this forum.

DUDE!!!!!

BasicLvrCH8r
onosson wrote:

That doesn't seem right... but then, in most democracies, some are more equal than others!

That was a communism from the moment that Jones was expelled. It then grew into a dictatorship, and regressed to the original state.

artfizz

Can I recommend the more mature group discussed here ... 

How about: The Group That Isn't   ?

We could be the first (of many) ungroups. That way, Dr_Doc_MD wouldn't need to persuade anyone to create us, for we would already exist by virtue of not having been created.

This group could potentially become the biggest group on chess.com. Whenever anyone asks: can I join your group? The smug answer would be: you are already a member!

Russell's Paradox?, anyone?

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/another-group-to-destroy-chesscom-with?page=3

Gert-Jan

I don't know which group you are talking about but sometimes the group leaders are leading as a dictator. I was kicked out of the dream team because I participated in a puzzle contest from a non-group  member.

I live in The Netherlands and I am used to freedom so I participate in everything I like.(excluding illegal activities offcourse)

aristeidis9

You just chose the wrong group..You are free now to make a new start!

TheOldReb
Momadu wrote:

Has anyone really been pushed out of a group? I was actually actively playing, too.

In my ignorance, I chose to "vote" to resign a game where we were many points behind. Seemed appropriate given basic chess etiquette. To my amazement the admin, called me out saying "we do not resign."

Really, I thought this was vote chess.. Apparently not..I was told the admins get to make those decisions? Again..how does this mean vote chess? Then the kicked me out?

Does anyone agree? Or disagree..

TheOldReb

This is one of several reasons I dont participate in vote chess.

einstein_69101

I have a lot of vote chess experience.  :)  Do you have the link to the game?  If you were down a lot then I think you did the right thing by voting to resign.  I recommend reading all of the discussions and then decide which move you think is best.  :)  But it seems that maybe some of these group members are those people that say play all the way to the end and never resign.  However, this would only prolongs the game.

Momadu

Hello all,

Thanks for the posts. I do not want to call out the group as it is a popular one and I am not too sure that it is appropriate. Also, I have had a chance to think about the situation, and I believe that the admins felt I was trying to "sabotage" their team, since I was new.  Seems a little paranoid, but I am over it now.

It does sound as though they do prefer to play to the end..I do not in some situations. Just a bad fit.