Forums

Kings Pawn Opening in GM Matches

Sort:
sixtyfoursquares

Can any one of the knowledgeable chess players explain to me why many of the higher level players NOT play Kings Pawn Openings ANYMORE?

Is it because they WANT to avoid the usual FIREWORKS or OPEN GAMES from KP openings? Or they would prefer more POSITIONAL GAMES which arise from Queens Pawn Openings?

I do personally miss the Kings Pawn Openings in this World Championship 2010.

What is your opinion?

wbbaxterbones

If you think that there aren't any fireworks in these WC games, then maybe chess just isn't for you. haha!

Tricklev

1.e4 is not dead, it's been played lately by players such as Anand, Carlsen, Ivanchuk, Topalov.

It hasn't been used in the last 4(?) WC matches, but that hardly means it's dead.

Phobetrix

WGM Natalia Pogonina wrote in another thread here:

"e4 is more risky and requires memorizing more variations than d4 (a relatively safe and solid option)"

which is equivalent to the point by Fiveofswords above

blake78613

The way the matches are set up it is important not to lose the standard time game and put all your effort into the blitz.  Therefore they play very safely and save their novelties for the blitz.  If you look at the blitz games you will find 1.e4.

waffllemaster
blake78613 wrote:

The way the matches are set up it is important not to lose the standard time game and put all your effort into the blitz.  Therefore they play very safely and save their novelties for the blitz.  If you look at the blitz games you will find 1.e4.

lol

Elubas

Strangely though, it does seem to make some sense. If you are caught with something you don't know in blitz, you might either make a really bad move early, or get into time pressure right away, either of which could be quite costly (perhaps this is what happened to Caruana in his blitz tiebreak game against Magnus -- if Caruana saw Magnus's line in a classical game, surely he wouldn't blunder like that). Although in tournaments they occasionally do blitz, I think in matches ties are decided by rapid games, but still, that's not super long.

Irontiger

Besides, it looks like the players of the current Candidates (for example) prefer 1.d4 personnally. Maybe than in 30 years time, the strongest players would have a personal preference towards 1.e4 (and people will complain that d4 is dead).