Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Knocking your King down when resigning

• 2 years ago · Quote · #41

shepi13

Oops, Nd5 fails to Qxb7. Bd5 was the interesting move.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #42

shepi13

I just checked my engine and it agrees with my analysis, at least on the first move.

(16.Be4 Rybka 2.3.2a mp 32-bit  -3.92 (depth 14)  Rxd1+ 17.Kxd1 Nxe4 18.Nxe4 Rd8+ 19.Nfd2 Bxe4 20.Qxe4 Bg5 21.Kc1 Rxd2 22.Kb1 Rxf2 23.Qa8+)

(16.Be4 -3.92 (depth 14)  Nxe4 17.Nxe4 Rxd1+ 18.Kxd1 Rd8+ 19.Nfd2 Bxe4 20.Qxe4 Bg5 21.Kc1 Rxd2 22.Kb1 Rxf2 23.Qa8+)

(16.Be4 -2.03 (depth 14)  Qf4+ 17.Nd2 Rxd2 18.Qxd2 Qxd2+ 19.Rxd2 Nxe4 20.Nxe4 Bxe4 21.f4 Bd5 22.Re1 Rd8 23.a3)

(16.Be4 -1.01 (depth 13)  b4 17.Bxb7 Qxb7 18.Rxd8+ Rxd8 19.Ne2 a5 20.Ned4 Bc5 21.Nb3 Bb6 22.Qe2 a4)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #43

shepi13

Yeah, Rxd1 definately wins a piece at least - I think there are even stronger continuations then the one I gave after it though. However, my opponent didn't even realize he could play Kxd1 that's what was funny.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #44

DKof

In a spirited final match to determine the winner of a small "for fun" tournament in which the only stakes were possibly winning back your small entry fee and bragging rights, I bested my opponent who responded by standing up and swiping at his King with a force sufficient to send it somersaulting down the table.  Upon realizing what he had done, he quickly recovered the King and gently placed it on the board, appearing slightly embarrassed by his exuberance.  His reaction made my day as I was then sure he had put everything he had into that game.  The  "take a step back" reaction of the peanut gallery was also a hoot.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #45

madhacker

shepi13 wrote:

A master told me he resigned from a stalemate once 

Laughing Don't worry, I've resigned after my opponent's flag had fallen

• 2 years ago · Quote · #46

achonite

@snakesbelly: this made my day.  thank you for making me laugh.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #47

madhacker

chrisr2212 wrote:

i hope you had the chance to recover and say you were just joking

Nope. Shook hands and recorded the result. Then I noticed it.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #48

Scottrf

joeydvivre wrote:

Scary that a few people think throwing burning gasoline in someone's face is funny.  Over a chess game.  So did you guys think the whole napalm thing in Vietnam was a hoot?

He doesn't actually do that Yell

• 2 years ago · Quote · #49

DKof

@joeydvivre - I don't think the napalm would be as effective since I don't see it coming out of the coffee mug as easily and cleanly.  Plus, there is more chance of residue for the forensics to pick up.  Just a thought.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #50

DKof

I'm going to have to call you guys (joey, snakes) on your use of the word "hoot".  Since I was the first to use it in this thread (I believe),  obviously its reuse is strictly forbidden (which includes quoting it as well snakes).  Please follow protocol and replace "hoot" with "flying @#$%" at every occurrence.

Your cooperation would be appreciated, but, is not expected.

edit - By the way, don't think you've gone unnoticed scottrf, ditto.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #51

DKof

Thanks Snakes!  I hate to have to be such a killjoy (or whoever), but, a little decorum goes a long way.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #52

DKof

Who wants to go first on this one?  My thoughts were either "Stop, your killin me dude" or just the simple "Harsh."

• 2 years ago · Quote · #53

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

You are all missing the point ! !  It is rude to slam your opponent's king down.  If we do our on king, we are just mad at ourselves, which should be understandable considering most people have no idea what sportmanslike conduct is to begin with.  But the king falls down when he is dead, no?  Yes. I still don't do it. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #54

champ_weller

it isnt rude to knock down your king at all really i get satisfaction out of the fact that  my opponent knocked his/her king down so therefore he isnt being rude to me

• 2 years ago · Quote · #55

champ_weller

well wrestlers are pretty awesome arent they ;)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #56

DKof

Tipping a refrigerator over a railing is bush league.  You actually demonstrate some talent when you push it out a window, in my experience. Never have done it while "occupied" though. Could be tricky.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #57

tennisbuck

I think that it defidently depends on the attitude. I think that if done politely, it is a nice tradition of chess. When done with abuse toward the chess pieces, I think it is disrespectful.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #58

tennisbuck

I think that it defidently depends on the attitude. I think that if done politely, it is a nice tradition of chess. When done with abuse toward the chess pieces, I think it is disrespectful.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #59

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

If my opponent slams his king down, I did a great job beating him and he can't stand it.  Gawd, I love it !  Do it again, tell me how much better I am than you.  See why I don't do it?

Post your reply: