Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Knocking your King down when resigning

• 2 years ago · Quote · #21

Clipse83

i play on a glass set, not smart to knock glass over

• 2 years ago · Quote · #22

Amir169

It's the first time I hear about this! Knocking your king down! That's  funny and not rude at all. I think your judgement refers to your culture.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #23

ChristianSoldier007

i think chucking your king across the room may be a little rude, ever for a World Champion

Of course, calling your opponents that you just lost to isn't very kind either

Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #24

aljay007

I have never needed to resign before so i wouldnt know, I always win ;)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #25

ChristianSoldier007

Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #26

achonite

Whenever I resign, i just tip over the king.  I don't do it roughly or gently, I just tip it over.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #27

jetfighter13

depends on the position

lol could say that about anything in chess.

but I generally am nice when I do it, I just lay the king down gently and offer a handshake, oh and pfren, lmao Kg0

• 2 years ago · Quote · #28

Estragon

I doubt the Alekhine story v Grunfeld because it was on resumption after adjournment.  That Black was winning would not have been a surprise to him.

Incidentally, for some years what we know as the Grunfeld Defense was called the King's Indian, because 3 ...d5 was invariably played.  The KID as we know it didn't develop for many years.  It was only after ...d6 became popular that ...d5 began to be called "the Grunfeld".

Irina Krush was upset in the video because it was the final Armageddon tiebreak game for the US Championship, and she was winning on the board, but fell short by a second or two.  If she had taken off her jacket before the game, she might have won:  you will notice she keeps tugging on her right sleeve to keep it out of the way.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #29

Estragon

The proper way to resign with the King is to lay it down gently on its side.

I remember a weekend Swiss, pretty decent-sized tournament, where one player knocked over all the pieces in his game after a blunder and stormed out of the tournament hall.  He never came back - as far as I know, he never played OTB tournament chess again in the region.

It must have been a really bad move!   Surprised

• 2 years ago · Quote · #30

wiimac

I've never resigned in an OTB game as a great man said, "Nobody ever won a chess game by resigning."

• 2 years ago · Quote · #31

champ_weller

wiimac wrote:

I've never resigned in an OTB game as a great man said, "Nobody ever won a chess game by resigning."

that makes no sense lol

• 2 years ago · Quote · #32

helltank

Nobody ever won a chess game by shuffling his king around as two rooks fly up the board to checkmate him either. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #33

champ_weller

helltank wrote:

Nobody ever won a chess game by shuffling his king around as two rooks fly up the board to checkmate him either. 

my point exactly

• 2 years ago · Quote · #34

ChristianSoldier007

even grandmasters can blunder every now and then. there is always a chance of a stalemate

• 2 years ago · Quote · #35

Namssob

joeydvivre wrote:

I don't understand that "I never resign" stuff.  Down somewhere just north of two pawns with no compensation, I resign.  I hate playing out losing positions and I think it is reasonably disrespectful of your opponent. 

I'm barely qualified to comment, but haven't you ever resigned then later noticed a move that could have helped you win?  I did this just last week, noticing a possible winning move after I resigned. It made me mad, and taught me to be more certain before resigning.  Being down 2 pawns, even at the grandmaster level, is hardly a reason to resign considering humans make mistakes.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #36

shepi13

A master told me he resigned from a stalemate once Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #37

Ferric

In tournaments never resign until you want to .

In practice its two thoughts you play and then blunder you keep playing the other person will blunder too.

Or you never learn to fight if you always give up when you blunder.  So its part of the game so if you do not want to sit through the learning process of the other's then using a clock might keep things in order.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #38

shepi13

• 2 years ago · Quote · #39

Dandy55

@shepi13:

Actually, it's you who blundered on move 16 - you should play zwischenzug 16...Qf4+ with additional attack on e4 instead of taking the rook on d1 - and then you would have a forced win of a 2 pieces for a rook after 17.Nd2 Rxd2 18. Qxd2 Qxd2 19.Rxd2 Bxe4 which should be enough for a winning endgame

• 2 years ago · Quote · #40

shepi13

Actually Qf4+ leaves the game in question (although I'm definately better) while Rxd1+ gains a nice attack, and I have several promising continuations, most of which look to win.

Post your reply: