Forums

Let's sum it up.

Sort:
Matthew11

For all discussions on chess.com, clear, or unclear, we have someone, most often more then one someone who likes to, "sum up" the thread. They always think their being clear or helping someone, but who is helped by an annoying useless summoning of their opinion. I understand many of them are just being direct, and notice that many write long boring coments thaat don't cover anything, but c'mon this is just insulting! Haven't you seen a fourm thread were almost ever other comment is a sum up? Why don't the try to simplify threads that a hard to understand? What do you have to say on summing up the discussions?

Sred

Can't wait to see this thread growing long, so I can eventually sum it up!

poet_d
Matthew11 wrote:

For all discussions on chess.com, clear, or unclear, we have someone, most often more then one someone who likes to, "sum up" the thread. They always think their being clear or helping someone, but who is helped by an annoying useless summoning of their opinion. I understand many of them are just being direct, and notice that many write long boring coments thaat don't cover anything, but c'mon this is just insulting! Haven't you seen a fourm thread were almost ever other comment is a sum up? Why don't the try to simplify threads that a hard to understand? What do you have to say on summing up the discussions?

To sum up:

Wah! Wah! Wah! Wah!

Matthew11

I thank you for you seriousness.

Kingpatzer

Matthew - these are open discussion forums with a huge audience. People are people, some people will do and say things that you find grating. You can choose to be gracious and let it go, or you can offer your disapproval, recognizing that at least someone is bound to be just as irked by your expression as you are by whatever set you off in the first place.

Matthew11

That isn't the point. I'm not annnoyed yo much by sum ups, but I still wonder why they do it.

trysts

I don't mind at all that people "sum up" the threads. It's just another opinion to discuss.

eddiewsox

Let's sum it up , now and forever, chess is a game, but not a sport. 

theoreticalboy

chess.com will be summed up when el-checko finally arrives.

Matthew11

All these posts are useless.

DrSpudnik

Our story so far...

King_of_pawns

Possibly these people who "sum up" are right sum of the time.Undecided

Cystem_Phailure

Sheesh-- sum people . . . 

TeraHammer

This is a quite unclear discussion

DrSpudnik

Well, that just about sums it up.

Any questions?

Matthew11

Why do all my threads get trolled?

corpsporc

Wondering what goes through the mind of those who sum up threads, Matthew11 creates a new thread to discuss this habit. Many could not control their inner desire to troll the thread instead of discussing the questions asked. One person misread the original post to imply that the original poster, Matthew11, was actually disgruntled because of this habit.

While the success of this thread has not yet occurred and probably will never occur, it is amusing to note that the original poster, in extreme exasperation, wondered why all of his threads get trolled. The author's suggestion is that he discontinue posting. It takes a certain skill which he lacks to create a thread which repels trolls.

Although the thread would have been better off not existing, it is clear that the amusement we have received at one's expense is well worth the pains the thread may endure.

Unfrenzied
eddiewsox wrote:

Let's sum it up , now and forever, chess is a game, but not a sport. 

So is snooker considered not a sport, and yet that is in the Olympic games now..... would you like to continue further, with games such as ping-pong? One on One are not sports? Darts world finals are not sporting? They may not be as exciting for the non-knowing, but chess is a sport between men, same as duelling.

Chess is more sporting than American football, which is merely a game. But then YOU need to determine the meaning of sporting, don't you? 

Jonathan.

beardogjones

wtf?

corpsporc

Yes, the length of a given (open) thread is indeterminate, so a given summation cannot necessarily be final whether or not it was intended to be such.