Forums

Levon Aronian - Magnus Carlsen

Sort:
TetsuoShima

they have to make at least 30 moves.

SmyslovFan

Svidler-Kramnik was drawn on move 23. I guess 3-fold repetition is fine, but not being able to see that there's a three-fold repetition about to occur. 

I really hate these artificial rules.

TetsuoShima
SmyslovFan wrote:

Svidler-Kramnik was drawn on move 23. I guess 3-fold repetition is fine, but not being able to see that there's a three-fold repetition about to occur. 

I really hate these artificial rules.

but because of 3 move repitition, but they are not allowed to agree draw before move 30. At least thats what Larry Christiansen has said.

Byerley

Read the rule. That draw was claimed by threefold repetition, which is allowed before move 30.

Edit: Sorry, you all beat me to it.

Byerley
Yeah, the claiming process for threefold is strange. Kramnik's next move would have been the 3rd rep, so he has to write down the move and claim the draw before he actually moves, which at that point he doesn't need to.
kco
Estragon wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:
Irontiger wrote:

And btw, you should look at the other games... This one was really boring. It was obvious both played to draw.

i thought so too, sure they are the highest rated, but it seems still weird that it ended so fast.

Aronian just got nothing from the opening.  Carlsen has played the NID/QID/BID complex more often than not, it was no surprise.  So much for the idea that everyone will out-prepare him in the opening, eh?

Carlsen said before the tournament that he regarded Aronian as his main rival.  A draw with Black against him to start the tournament is a big step ahead for Magnus.  If some fans found it insufficiently entertaining for their tastes, they should demand their money back.

or the fans should go elsewhere and take up a different game. 

Irontiger
Estragon wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:
Irontiger wrote:

And btw, you should look at the other games... This one was really boring. It was obvious both played to draw.

i thought so too, sure they are the highest rated, but it seems still weird that it ended so fast.

Aronian just got nothing from the opening.  Carlsen has played the NID/QID/BID complex more often than not, it was no surprise.  So much for the idea that everyone will out-prepare him in the opening, eh?

Carlsen said before the tournament that he regarded Aronian as his main rival.  A draw with Black against him to start the tournament is a big step ahead for Magnus.  If some fans found it insufficiently entertaining for their tastes, they should demand their money back.

It's certainly a rational decision, I would have done the same had I been either of those guys, but still, it looks a boring game to me. In the other games, you can see the white player putting some effort in the middlegame, here they practically trade everything with a symmetrical pawn structure, no wonder it ends in a draw.

Round 8 will be interesting...