Forums

Magnus Carlsen, a child prodigy?

Sort:
samir_naganaworkhere

I've always wondered if chess players would make good defensive coordinators.

MrDamonSmith

What's the deal with Carlsen and Aronian having uscf ratings based on 16 games? Where did the other 10 come from?

chiaroscuro62
Ziryab wrote:
samir_naganaworkhere wrote:

I guess if you measure it in dog years, Mozart was an adult when he wrote his first symphony lol. 

He composed as a child, but did not compose works of note until he was an adult. That's my point.

It is important because the exceptional performance that he achieved was a consequence of hard work (not only his head start). Take only the skills he displayed at the age of six without a talent for hard work, we would not know his name.

Child genius + 10,000 hours of skill building = exceptional performance (and lasting fame)

If we are talking 10,000 hrs of work I'm fine with that.  That isn't very much work....

Conflagration_Planet

Look at the butt loads of people with some degree of talent, who put in loads of hard work, yet don't even approach his level. The answer should be obvious.

bean_Fischer

Saying Carlsen, Fischer, Kasparov etc work hard is just saying go to resto for dinner, listen to the music everyday is a very hard work to do. It's hard if you have to pay.

It's like saying it's hard work for a mathematician to solve Fermat Theorem. Yes, it's hard for us who are not in the field. But for the mathematician it's breakfast, lunch and dinner served on table. Free of charge.

It's also a hard work to play online chess 3 hours a day and to comment on forum. Don't you think?

bean_Fischer

Some even leave their families to go to chess club to play chess all day and night. So playing chess is a very hard work. Don't you think?

bean_Fischer

Sorry, just 1 more example. It's like telling Carl Lewis to run 100 m in 11 secs. That's it. thanks.

macer75
bean_Fischer wrote:

It's also a hard work to play online chess 3 hours a day and to comment on forum. Don't you think?

Playing online chess for 3 hours definitely is hard work, but commenting on the forums isn't. For me commenting on the forums is like your analogy of a mathemetician solving the Fermat theorem (whatever that is).

Ziryab

When Kasparov was coaching Carlsen, he praised the kid's work ethic. They weren't sitting in a cafe playing blitz.