• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

DaBigOne

Cool!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

champ_weller

very old news but it is really cool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

mastershredder

i just seen him on the Colbert Report and then found this 60 mins interview. Pretty crazy. Draws Kasparov at age 13!??? Kid's nuts.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

waffllemaster

Yes, but it was in a speed game he drew Kaspy.

What's funny though he is berated his own play in those two games against the champ saying "I played like a child" Laughing  (In one of them he was better I believe, but didn't win).

The 60 minutes thing wasn't too good IMO, it made it seems like he learned to play chess by chance because he wanted to beat his sister, then he beat a bunch of people at a park, then, never studying in-between, beat a bunch of masters or something.

Of course he studied a lot, and had been playing in many internationally rated tournies against tough players for a long time.  Yeah he's a natural, but it's not like the 10th game of chess he ever played was representing his country on first board or something -- which is how the show made it sound to me.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

mastershredder

waffllemaster wrote:

Yes, but it was in a speed game he drew Kaspy.

What's funny though he is berated his own play in those two games against the champ saying "I played like a child"   (In one of them he was better I believe, but didn't win).

The 60 minutes thing wasn't too good IMO, it made it seems like he learned to play chess by chance because he wanted to beat his sister, then he beat a bunch of people at a park, then, never studying in-between, beat a bunch of masters or something.

Of course he studied a lot, and had been playing in many internationally rated tournies against tough players for a long time.  Yeah he's a natural, but it's not like the 10th game of chess he ever played was representing his country on first board or something -- which is how the show made it sound to me.

I hear what you're saying, I mean the 60 mins thing is titled "The Motzart of Chess" for god sakes, they always blow up celebs on there. But, speed game or not, he's still getting up and wandering around out of sheer bordom, which cracks me up, and has to irritate a 40-something kasparov. Then when he hears the clock click, he spins back around and moves his piece immediatly. He also had a more lighter interview on the Colbert Report last week that was pretty hilarious. Worth checking out.

I just don't like how you get the fealing some people judge him and write him off as lazy because he's out doing other things than just studying chess. It's like, the kid is 21, chess isn't an atheletic sport that you have to worry about your physical peak diminishing while you have your youth. He has time to become much better than he is. So if he wants to go play soccer and do his modeling thing, I think he'll be fine. I imagin by the time the guy is in his 30's he is going to up his game significantly once he settles down. I love the kid's demenor and how humble he is. Don't get me wrong, if you're the best or extremly good in your field, you have the right to be pretty much as cocky as you like, but it's always nice to see someone who holds as much modesty as they do talent. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

waffllemaster

A lot of kids play like that (I've even played a few myself :) because they can calculate quick, and don't have enough experience (generally) to look for much else (pattern recognition of old master games, strategy in general).

Kaspy likes to intimidate though, so at the very least I'd imagine it irritating that this kid doesn't know enough to be intimidated, and is legitimately irreverent Laughing

Post your reply: