Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Massive losing streaks

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

Knights_and_Rooks

Hello.

For appromaxitely one year stayed at 1100-1200 elo ranking, but sometimes I win games in several rows and usually after I start losing games every time I play chess. When the losing streaks occur, it really doesn't matter if the opponent has a lower or higher elo point than me, since I will often lose.

In one day I have lost about 70 or 80 elo points and currently  I am just unable to break the "curse of losing streak". 

So my question is, is this issue entirely psychological or has playing "skills" worsened in time? What is it that causes one to lose a game after game for long periods?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

Rehya

Could it possibly be caused by playing too many games in a row? Brain fry? :D

This happens to me, I think, hey, I'm winning all these games! Then I'll lose like four in a row. It doesn't sound as extreme as yours though :D

- Rehya

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

Roundyracer

I never played much in years past but picking up again I won a few games and thought I'd work study and improve.Well Im in a downhill slide fast.There seems to be no end to my losing streak.Evaluation of my own game is Im finding other matters and thoughts are interfearing with my game and my concentration factor is clouded.Am I on to something or just lousy at chess?I feel some of you others pain .I am enjoying though even the lost matches and try to learn from you better players.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

JoseO

You need to change the way that you view games. Do not look at games that you lose as bad experiences. Instead have someone who is stronger than you to review the games with you. Ask them to show you options that you might have played that were better than the move that you choose.

Losing a game could be a positive because it shows you areas of the game where you need to improve. You might wish to try to learn the ins and outs of a particular opening or have a set of responses studied and prepared for when someone tries to get you into a trap.

As long as you learn something from a game that you have lost, it is not truly a lost but a learning experience and hopefully you will come back stronger the next time.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

dchurchill

You could try playing online chess so you have more time to think about your moves.  Also try taking a short break after a frustrating loss.  You don't want to be playing angry chess.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #6

eagles_metal

I've been on a vicious losing streak the last few days. I play about 10 to 20 games a day and lately it seems, except for a lucky game now and then when the other guy runs out of time, I can't win to save my life. I get mad about it, too. It's 75% less fun when you're losing game after game after game. It's like I've forgotten how to play. Frustrating!!!

• 18 months ago · Quote · #7

JoseO

When you get angry for losing games, it gets harder to regain your composure. You start to press for wins that are not there. You need to stop, relax, take a few breathes to calm your nerves, and then study the games to see if you can find a pattern as to what it is that you are doing wrong.

Post your reply: