Forums

Men VS Women!

Sort:
netzach
ciljettu wrote:

Not really talking about chess here netzach, just in general. People are comfortable saying stuff like "women are better with small kids" but as soon as anyone says "men might be better at so and so...", panic starts.

Not true of the intent of the OP which was chess-discussion.

robotjazz wrote:  #1

My girlfriend just asked me why is there a womens chess champion? She thinks that it is a insulting tradition because in a game of logic both men and women are equals. I agree with her and I'm reaching out to the chess community to shed some light on this subject. I'm aware that there are many games featuring men Vs women GM's, but why are there seperate league classes? ex. women's world chess champion and men's champ?

netzach
ciljettu wrote:

My point netzach is that it is difficult to hold such a discussion objectively in a cultural climate in which any suggestion of the slightest innate male superiority in an intellectual field is considered taboo; whilst the opposite is not the case.

But that's the historical-perspective. In seeing the big-picture I speak of now & the future ?  ( In Darwinism context )

Only in today's world are sufficient quantity of female-gender people entering these areas of life.

netzach
joeydvivre wrote:

"But that's physical/anatomical comparison Joey (in your analogy). Not mental-strength..."

So thye argument is that where it's clear you don't need a high standard of proof but where it is not clear you do need a high standard of proof.  Hmmm....  Usually the world doesn't work that way.

Have you entered into many debates/discussions with women Joey ?

If you have did you win these without recourse to male-attributes like physical-strength or aggression ??

I believe in terms of mental-strength men/women are equals.

zborg
chrisr2212 wrote:

men are better are certain things, like being a total nerd for example

It's too bad the Summing Up thread can't be transported en masse into this thread. Thanks for the glimmer of sanity and plain speaking, @Chrisr2212.

Everyone, have nice weekend.

robotjazz

Men are better at a lot of things, but the same goes both ways. Nobody here has been able to convince me that men actually are better than women at chess. So many people believe this is true, but there really is no concrete evidence. If they taught chess to 100 men and 100 women for two weeks(people that never played before) and all of similar IQ scores, and then tested them and repeated the test 10 more times with all new subjects each time, I believe there would be no noticable difference.

corrijean
zborg wrote:
corrijean wrote:
Here is an interesting article on some causes.

Wall Street Journal - How Women Can Get Ahead: Advice From Female CEO's

One thing it highlights is that women are less likely to engage in risky behaviors than men.

Indeed, women are much less represented in the Darwin Awards.

That's probably a good thing, for the human race.

Are they? I guess that would make sense. The spike of accidental deaths for young males is pretty striking when one looks at the data.

The point made in the article is in relation to the benefits of risk taking. Since women tend to take fewer career risks, they don't reap the benefits of risk taking.

corrijean
robotjazz wrote:

Men are better at a lot of things, but the same goes both ways. Nobody here has been able to convince me that men actually are better than women at chess. So many people believe this is true, but there really is no concrete evidence. If they taught chess to 100 men and 100 women for two weeks(people that never played before) and all of similar IQ scores, and then tested them and repeated the test 10 more times with all new subjects each time, I believe there would be no noticable difference.

Mind if I borrow your idea to suggest as a research topic? There is a behavioral economist who I follow. He has an area of his blog for people to suggest experiments for him to conduct.

corrijean

I haven't ever been to Africa. I have a few friends who really enjoyed travelling there.

robotjazz
corrijean wrote:
robotjazz wrote:

Mind if I borrow your idea to suggest as a research topic? There is a behavioral economist who I follow. He has an area of his blog for people to suggest experiments for him to conduct.

be my guest. But make sure the participants are over 25 yrs of age. I just feel like there is a level of maturity that should also be taken into account. And apparently women mature faster than men so that would give us a chance to catch up :)  I'd also like to see the results if it ever comes to be.

corrijean
robotjazz wrote:
corrijean wrote:
robotjazz wrote:

be my guest. But make sure the participants are over 25 yrs of age. I just feel like there is a level of maturity that should also be taken into account. And apparently women mature faster than men so that would give us a chance to catch up :)  I'd also like to see the results if it ever comes to be.

Cool. Thanks.

FrenchMarie
robotjazz wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Well, if there was one title it would never have been won by a woman.

Clearly the women that compete for the womens title aren't offended or they wouldn't do so.

accourding to this guy, never in the history of mankind could a woman ever be the best at chess. What do all the ladies out there think about this?

I think someone is being judgmental.

FrenchMarie

Can one of you premium members host a men vs women vote chess so we can settle the score?

Chessking47

Some people think the Women's World Chess Championship Is insulting. Why can't women compete on the same level as men? I mean, look at other sports. FIFA is not the best example, but some other sports are.....

Not _ _ _ _ or not _ _ _?

Chessking47
FrenchMarie wrote:

Can one of you premium members host a men vs women vote chess so we can settle the score?

SUpportive.. I'll match one up ASAP... groups? teams... sorry..

netzach

This is blended text/speak/moderno used here. Traditional spelling/grammar innapplicable.  :)

robotjazz
joeydvivre wrote:

"Men are better at a lot of things, but the same goes both ways. Nobody here has been able to convince me that men actually are better than women at chess. So many people believe this is true, but there really is no concrete evidence. If they taught chess to 100 men and 100 women for two weeks(people that never played before) and all of similar IQ scores, and then tested them and repeated the test 10 more times with all new subjects each time, I believe there would be no noticable difference."

So your experiment would:

a) Abandons any kind of random assignment as we obviously can't assign people randomly to men vs women

b) Matches people on IQ which has a very questionable relationship to chess ability

c) Abandons any notions of "blind" experimenters

d) Defines chess skill as some unspecified test after a completely naive subject has been given two weeks of lessons

e) Has some wacky experimental design where we repeat the experiment on 10 groups of 100 instead of doing the experiment on 1000 subjects (what was your reasoning on that, btw?)

and now the kicker is that your experiment proves something by having no significant result.  Were you going to try to do the mother of all power analyses on your statistical tests?  Would that be convincing to you?  Do you have any idea what a power analysis is?

Honestly, if you don't know jack-shit about empirical science why would you be commenting that the results of empirical science have not convinced you of anything?  You don't speak the language so is it any wonder that empirical science has not been able to convince you of something?

The entire point of the experiment would be that it proves nothing Joey. It doesn't matter how you conduct your experiment, as long as it's equalized. Obviosly someone more qualified than myself would conduct these experiments, I just came up with the idea and passed it on.

Can you come up with an idea that proves men are better at chess than women that's better than mine, that is both fair and relevant? I bet you can't

netzach

vs  ??

Game-on :)

FrenchMarie

Hey Joey why dont you make a male chess team while I go locate a female with premium to host the female chess team.  Then we can have a vote chess game.

robotjazz

After the game is played will you post it here for us to see?

netzach

Joey wish you could come up with ideas that doesn't mention '' National Academy, Bucks, or Scholastic Chess '' ?

There is a big wide-world out here on planet-earth...

This forum topic has been locked