Forums

Men VS Women!

Sort:
nameno1had
chrisr2212 wrote:

threads like this have made me lose hope that chessplayers are normal at all

that sounds like an admittance on your part...Laughing, if we are all whacked, isn't that the norm...?

SirrinNacht
nameno1had wrote:
SirrinNacht wrote:
joeydvivre wrote:

"After all, underlying the stigma is the assumption that girls are inherently inferior, hence why a guy who loses to a girl is considered a 'wimp' or a 'weakling'."

That's just crap.  First off, most guys I know couldn't give a hoot whether their competitor is male, female, or alien.  They just don't like to lose (I actually really hate losing to people under the age of 12 or so so I have my own biases).  Second off, everyone knows that rating trumps sex always and everywhere.  You have to find a really dumb guy who says "Yeah well she has 200 rating points on me but she's a girl thus inherently inferior so I should win" (and this guy would probably be rated like 700 anyway).  In your fantasies, people thnk like that.  In real-life, they don't.  

Just because the guys you know don't care more when their loss is to a girl than they do when its to a guy doesn't change the fact that some of the guys I know do. I fail to see why your personal experences make my personal experiences any less real. Also, Conflagration_Planet in his reply to me stated that he had seen guys harassed for losing to a girl on this very site, even when the girl had a higher rating, so clearly there are people who don't think that rating trumps gender. I am not saying that the guys you know or that you yourself feel this way, only that some of the guys I know do.

Ok, hypothetical question, would you rather be a Super GM and world champ, as well as, be a lonely dweeb who is too prideful to get beat by a woman, or have a beautiful wife who is rated about 2500 FIDE whom you lose about 50% of your games to?

It isn't a hard decision for me...

Again, I am not asserting that you or anyone in this thread feels that way, only that some guys I know do. And since I am not attracted to other women, wouldn't a better way to phrase that question be "would you rather be a super GM and world champ, as well as a lonely dweeb who is to prideful to get beat by a man, or have a loving husband who is rated 2500 FIDE and who beats you 50% of the time?". And for the record, I'd rather have the highly rated husband who can defeat me 50% of the time.

nameno1had
SirrinNacht wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
SirrinNacht wrote:
joeydvivre wrote:

"After all, underlying the stigma is the assumption that girls are inherently inferior, hence why a guy who loses to a girl is considered a 'wimp' or a 'weakling'."

That's just crap.  First off, most guys I know couldn't give a hoot whether their competitor is male, female, or alien.  They just don't like to lose (I actually really hate losing to people under the age of 12 or so so I have my own biases).  Second off, everyone knows that rating trumps sex always and everywhere.  You have to find a really dumb guy who says "Yeah well she has 200 rating points on me but she's a girl thus inherently inferior so I should win" (and this guy would probably be rated like 700 anyway).  In your fantasies, people thnk like that.  In real-life, they don't.  

Just because the guys you know don't care more when their loss is to a girl than they do when its to a guy doesn't change the fact that some of the guys I know do. I fail to see why your personal experences make my personal experiences any less real. Also, Conflagration_Planet in his reply to me stated that he had seen guys harassed for losing to a girl on this very site, even when the girl had a higher rating, so clearly there are people who don't think that rating trumps gender. I am not saying that the guys you know or that you yourself feel this way, only that some of the guys I know do.

Ok, hypothetical question, would you rather be a Super GM and world champ, as well as, be a lonely dweeb who is too prideful to get beat by a woman, or have a beautiful wife who is rated about 2500 FIDE whom you lose about 50% of your games to?

Again, I am not asserting that you or anyone in this thread feels that way, only that some guys I know do. And since I am not attracted to other women, wouldn't a better way to phrase that question be "would you rather be a super GM and world champ, as well as a lonely dweeb who is to prideful to get beat by a man, or have a loving husband who is rated 2500 FIDE and who beats you 50% of the time?". And for the record, I'd rather have the highly rated husband who can defeat me 50% of the time.

If your gender was obvious to me...yes...but it isn't

nameno1had

Besides, I wasn't just directing my comments to you...I was using your words to get a point across to more people at once...

SirrinNacht
nameno1had wrote:
SirrinNacht wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
SirrinNacht wrote:
joeydvivre wrote:

If your gender was obvious to me...yes...but it isn't

I did mention it in a prior post in this thread, however it was admittedly hard to spot the mention the way I worded it. I apologize for acting like it was obvious when it clearly wasn't.

Scottrf
SirrinNacht wrote:

I did mention it in a prior post in this thread, however it was admittedly hard to spot the mention the way I worded it. I apologize for acting like it was obvious when it clearly wasn't.

Eww, you're a girl?

Better not play you then, I'd hate to lose to a girl.

nameno1had
chrisr2212 wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
chrisr2212 wrote:

threads like this have made me lose hope that chessplayers are normal at all

that sounds like an admittance on your part..., if we are all whacked, isn't that the norm...?

did i say "all chessplayers" ?

No you didn't, but I believe you implied it, whether intentionally or not...its ok if you let it slip...

Conflagration_Planet
ciljettu wrote:
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
joeydvivre wrote:

That's just crap.  First off, most guys I know couldn't give a hoot whether their competitor is male, female, or alien.  They just don't like to lose (I actually really hate losing to people under the age of 12 or so so I have my own biases).  Second off, everyone knows that rating trumps sex always and everywhere.  You have to find a really dumb guy who says "Yeah well she has 200 rating points on me but she's a girl thus inherently inferior so I should win" (and this guy would probably be rated like 700 anyway).  In your fantasies, people think like that.  In real-life, they don't.  

In real life, yes they do. I'm not a chess player except for losing all the time on here, but I've seen many many examples in things other than chess of insecure men who hate losing at anything to women. By hate losing I mean they hate losing to men of course, but can deal with it. Losing to a woman on the other hand undermines their manhood, and they can't deal with it.

Lol... sometimes we guys can get a bit over-competitive. I once lost to a girl of 13 in an Olympiad. Needless to say, I did get a few jibes from my lovely team mates!

On the other hand one of my team mates once beat an ex-women's world champion and we did jokingly berate him for his lack of chivalry... happy memories!

Being competitive is fine, but people shouldn't be overly so based on deep seated insecurity.

nameno1had

Its shame when we arent good sports...

...I didn't say I wasnt one....

SirrinNacht
joeydvivre wrote:

" I fail to see why your personal experences make my personal experiences any less real. "

1) Because I have vastly more personal experiences than you do because I am 4 times your age

2) Your "experiences" apparently include knowing the minds of men who think that women are "inherently inferior".  That's a very dubious claim as not very many people would tell you that.

1. How do you know how old I am? My age is not mentioned on my profile.

2. You would be surprised how many people do tell me that women are inherently inferior when it comes to doing certain things, including some of my friends. Why is it so hard to believe I've encounterd guys who thought this way? I've encountered women who thought men were inherently inferior, is that a fantasy as well?

SirrinNacht
joeydvivre wrote:

1. Part of being old is that you learn how old other people are.

2. Yeah.  Why don't you tell me what you learned in Seventeen magazine..

1. Being old gives you the ability to know the age of a person you've never seen and know little about? Interesting.

2. What is your point exactly? That no man I have ever encountered has ever felt women were inferior at all? That no men anywhere feel that women are inferior? That no one anywhere feels anyone or any group is inferior? Or just that only you are capable of telling if someone else is biased or not?

netzach

Men VS Women!

Yes indeed ! Fine thinking, original-post, what a quandry, intellectually-stimulating ?, what debate..

result = DRAW. 

winerkleiner

Women must be stronger, I couldn't imagine, in childbirth, passing a child through into the world.  

robotjazz
netzach wrote:
Men VS Women!

Yes indeed ! Fine thinking, original-post, what a quandry, intellectually-stimulating ?, what debate..

result = DRAW. 

I'll admit that this post may not have been my most original idea, I wanted to see if chess people could agree on something as logical as women being intellectually equal to men and I'm sad to see they don't. Then to answer the first question in this post which was, "why is there a women's world champion if the game is equal?" At least that question was pretty much answered but I still see a bunch of dudes trying to explain why men are inherently better at chess through genectics and stuff. Give me a break. Then there's an intigater in this forum that just wants to criticize everything everyone says while constantly contradicting himself and adding nothing to the discussion except negative vibes. Yep, it's a draw. we can't convince evryone here of a simple fact that's staring everyone in the face. I'm not frustrated, just appalled

AnnaZC
netzach wrote:
Men VS Women!

result = DRAW. 

Laughing

SirrinNacht
joeydvivre wrote:

1. Yes

2. That your story that any man has told you that he believes that women are inherently inferior is deeply suspect.  I believe that you may think that you heard that when some man told you something wildly different, however.

You truly think no one is bold enough or stupid enough to say something offensive like that to someone's face? Here, I'll describe one of the incidents. It was back in high school in U.S. history class, and we'd gotten onto the topic of women's rights. One fellow by the name of Jay said that women should not be allowed to hold public office because we could not control our emotions and are innately unstable and would therefore make poor decisions. He then added that we should not be allowed to vote for the same reasons. I might further add that he made these statements in a class where the teacher was a woman. Furthermore, you earlier claimed that the only way I could know if a man thought women were inferior would be if they flat out told me, and that any other experiences simply weren't good enough to serve as proof. So naturally I mentioned my experiences where people had flat out told me I would be or was worse at something because I was a girl, since that seemed to be the only kind you would find legitimate. My dad has told me of incidents he saw when he was younger in resturants and bars where he would see men go up to women and say incredibly offensive things about their gender while trying to get the women to go out with them. Not to mention all the crap he took from other guys when he briefly took dance lessons as a kid. He ended up quitting the lessons because so many other guys were starting fights with him over it. Just because you haven't encountered this sort of thing doesn't change the fact that other people's experiences may differ from yours. What about all the guys out there who've taken shit for losing to girls or for doing something percieved as girly? Do their experiences mean nothing as well?

Scottrf
ciljettu wrote:

I think that whilst not the most original this has the potential to be an interesting debate.... Pity so many people seem highly strung.

I think the women are on their period.

Charlotte

robotjazz

Don't make them angry.........

nameno1had

I wonder what sort of hormone therapy she was having...? I agree after a certain point, you are what you are hormonally, regardless of what the equipment is like, but some of her equipment makes mine look less manly somehow...I need to go to the gym or something...

This forum topic has been locked