Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Millionare Chess Tournament in Las Vegas at October 2014

• 6 days ago · Quote · #661

SilentKnighte5

I don't know that exciting is the right word to describe a chess tournmanent.  I would recommend a tournament if it was well run, the environment was good, etc.  Anyone who has been to a Goichberg tournament knows it's mass chaos and completely disorganized.   Round starts at 10am?  The pairing sheets might be up by then.   Win money?  Stand around in a disorganized line for an hour while random people show up and get paid right away.  You get the excitement of watching Goichberg calculate the standings and winnings on a piece of paper though.  God forbid he have some kind of software to do that.  Or maybe have one person in charge of the standings in each section then he just has to calculate the payout.  No he does it all alone and right in the middle will get up and disappear into another room for 20 minutes.

But those are the big NA tournaments, so people go.  A better overall experience would certainly generate good word of mouth among the participants.  There's a lot that can be improved upon in the NA chess tournament scene.

• 6 days ago · Quote · #662

Irontiger

SilentKnighte5 wrote:

I don't know that exciting is the right word to describe a chess tournmanent.  I would recommend a tournament if it was well run, the environment was good, etc.  Anyone who has been to a Goichberg tournament knows it's mass chaos and completely disorganized.   Round starts at 10am?  The pairing sheets might be up by then.   Win money?  Stand around in a disorganized line for an hour while random people show up and get paid right away.  You get the excitement of watching Goichberg calculate the standings and winnings on a piece of paper though.  God forbid he have some kind of software to do that.  Or maybe have one person in charge of the standings in each section then he just has to calculate the payout.  No he does it all alone and right in the middle will get up and disappear into another room for 20 minutes.

But those are the big NA tournaments, so people go.  A better overall experience would certainly generate good word of mouth among the participants.  There's a lot that can be improved upon in the NA chess tournament scene.

WTF, especially since there are free pairing software all over the net.

I can recommend Sevilla to anyone who needs some. For the story, I discovered it 30 minutes before the tournament started with 50 people to input and the pairings to print, when I had to do a last-minute replacement for "chief arbiter" (at a tournament where the registration fee was "bring some food"). In those conditions, you can forget the "read the manual" step.

I still did not manage to screw the pairings or standings at any point in the process, despite all the effort, so either I am incredibly smart or the software is really well-conceived. Take a guess.

• 6 days ago · Quote · #663

ahyanzaman

Doggy_Style wrote:
    small_potato wrote:
    ahyanzaman escribió:

There are players and then are family members of the players who need to do something the players are playing. Las Vegas will give them plenty of options.

Chess players have family?

Only the weird ones.

Doggy, I must agree with you again! May be not only the wierd ones but the ones who are less dedicated to chess? Either way, you will find many in this category even if you are not one of them! Cool

• 6 days ago · Quote · #665

ahyanzaman

SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Thank you @SilentKnight. We all experience this but few can put it down together so nicely that you did!

For those of my freinds who want US Chess to continue as it is, please explain if this is the chess scene you are happy with! Of course despite all these we want Goischberg to continue. Why? because where is the alternate? Once I asked a TD to set my clocks because I dont know how to use it - he gave me a look as if he will cancel my registration! That is the type of customer service (I have paid my entree fee right?) we get in current US Chess! You think UCSF can do someting? No way. We still need these organizers because we have less options for large tournaments.

I hope people have seen the customer service in HB Global in 2005 (at least I know of how quickly and with smile the large paychecks were paid) and people will see how it goes in Millionaire Chess. Only then, only then may be we will be aware of our rights? 

Of course there are some good ones too. Have you ever played in Reno chess tournaments arranged by Jerry Weikel and his family? If not, go once, and you will like to go again.

We support MCO because they are the hope for professionalism in chess if they succeed. At least that's what we chess fans can hope. If not, some other initiative will come on top of this in future when we will ultimately get there.

• 6 days ago · Quote · #666

Scottrf

Petrosianic wrote:
    Irontiger wrote:
    SilentKnighte5 wrote:

I still did not manage to screw the pairings or standings at any point in the process, despite all the effort, so either I am incredibly smart or the software is really well-conceived. Take a guess.

You're obviously very smart bc finding decent free pairing software I do not know where.  I'm running a tournament in 2 weeks and that knowledge would expedite things.  So... if someone could let me know.... thanks!

Looking forward to meet fellow chess peeps at Vegas.

I don't know if he edited, but he did name it, Sevilla.

• 6 days ago · Quote · #667

SilentKnighte5

Irontiger wrote:

The pairings for each round are done on software.  But when he's calculating the final standings and doing the payouts, he does it on paper.   And only he can do it.  No one is allowed to help him in any way.  I seriously don't get it.  I can understand wanting to make sure the money is right, but at least have some kind of system in place to make the process more efficient.

• 6 days ago · Quote · #668

SilentKnighte5

ahyanzaman wrote:

For those of my freinds who want US Chess to continue as it is, please explain if this is the chess scene you are happy with! Of course despite all these we want Goischberg to continue. Why? because where is the alternate? Once I asked a TD to set my clocks because I dont know how to use it - he gave me a look as if he will cancel my registration!

Never had a problem with the assistant TDs.  It's funny to watch them get mobbed right before the round starts with people asking how to set their clocks.  You'd think people would have it down by round 5.

• 6 days ago · Quote · #669

cookiemonster161140

Affordable tournament entry fees have been extinct since about 1984. USCF and other chess "clubs" claim to be non profit, but have any of them ever been audited? Where is Lois Lerner when you need her?

• 5 days ago · Quote · #670

Martin_Stahl

cookiemonster161140 wrote:

Affordable tournament entry fees have been extinct since about 1984. USCF and other chess "clubs" claim to be non profit, but have any of them ever been audited? Where is Lois Lerner when you need her?

What do you consider "affordable"? I run local tournements in my area (if I didn't no one would) and I am curious.

• 5 days ago · Quote · #671

Doggy_Style

Martin_Stahl wrote:
    cookiemonster161140 wrote:

What do you consider "affordable"? I run local tournements in my area (if I didn't no one would) and I am curious.

Fifty bucks for a two or three day tournament sounds affordable to me.

I'm a bit of a tightwad though, remembering times when whole islands could be bought for only sixty Dutch Guilders.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #672

rdecredico

The real genius and beauty if running a non or not-for-profit enterprise is that when there is extra money left over at the end of a fiscal year it must be spent on the enterprise!

This, the CEO/leader/president gets to upgrade an office or buy a newer company vehicle, et.al.

The 501 is the best instrument ever designed to steal money in legal fashion and be labelled a saint at the same time. 

Post your reply: