Forums

Millionare Chess Tournament in Las Vegas at October 2014

Sort:
ashikuzzaman

I just came back from Las Vegas playing North American Open and immediately found I have to go again this October 2014 because of what I see in - http://millionairechess.com

This sounds to be a chess tournament not only to play but also to visit for non players. I am talking about not-related-to-money part of it. For example its claiming to be the most technoligically advanced Chess tournament ever.

Did you get a chance to browse through and decide for your own?

SmyslovFan

How many chess players have $1000 to $2000 to drop on an entry fee?

ashikuzzaman

There will be many if you consider it to be a vacation too.

MrEdCollins

Note that there is already some discussion on this tournament here.

pdela
ashikuzzaman wrote:

I just came back from Las Vegas playing North American Open and immediately found I have to go again this October 2014 because of what I see in - http://millionairechess.com

This sounds to be a chess tournament not only to play but also to visit for non players. I am talking about not-related-to-money part of it. For example its claiming to be the most technoligically advanced Chess tournament ever.

Did you get a chance to browse through and decide for your own?

it's all about money

I find it a bit disgusting stuff

Bronco
SmyslovFan wrote:

How many chess players have $1000 to $2000 to drop on an entry fee?

They could do what the poker players do. Ask friends and family to back them financially (to pay the entry fees) in return for a percentage of any winnings. Amateur golfers do this also on the "mini" tour when they are trying to break into the PGA

ashikuzzaman

... and lets think about it. We chess palyers got something to stack on. Some of us, if cant afford, will be no worse than what it is today. But the ones who will join, will make this event a success, and overall other organizers will start to feel the pressure to increase the prize money or improve the palying conditions. Isn't it what Bobby Fischer has already done at a time when it was unthinkable for chess players to demand staffs?

pdela
ashikuzzaman wrote:

... and lets think about it. We chess palyers got something to stack on. Some of us, if cant afford, will be no worse than what it is today. But the ones who will join, will make this event a success, and overall other organizers will start to feel the pressure to increase the prize money or improve the palying conditions. Isn't it what Bobby Fischer has already done at a time when it was unthinkable for chess players to demand staffs?

and increase the entry fees and make it a snob game

ashikuzzaman

No, you will always have cheaper tournaments to participate in. Guys, this is a scope coming to us chess players not only because of money but in terms of coverage, media attention. Let's encourage the initiative as much as we can, irrespective of we want to participate or not.

ashikuzzaman
landlubberdolphin wrote:

i'll bet you a million dollars whoever wins this does it by cheating ala boris ivanov

I completelt disagree! I believe we overrate cheating and other threats too much in Chess! We just need to look with some positive eyes. A few Boris Ivanovs can't make the beautiful game of chess a no-goer everywhere. Every system has and will have a bit of error built in. That should not spoil the whole system or effort.

MrEdCollins
landlubberdolphin wrote:

i'll bet you a million dollars whoever wins this does it by cheating ala boris ivanov

I wish I had a million dollars to take this bet.

gambit-man
MrEdCollins wrote:

Tournament Policies:-

"NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND" which will be a FIDE rule from 1st July 2014 anyway...

"If a player’s cell phone goes off during the round, that player will lose ten minutes off his/her clock.  If it occurs again, the game will be forfeited."

How can a player's cellphone go off if it is not in the playing room? And the FIDE rule is that the cellphone going off is an immediate forfeit.

pdela

if ivanov can play every move following computer suggestion and gets away with it (noone has an idea of how he is doing it), I think it is esay there are many more player having computer assistence and using it in a more subtle way

pdela
gambit-man wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

"NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND" which will be a FIDE rule from 1st July 2014 anyway...

"If a player’s cell phone goes off during the round, that player will lose ten minutes off his/her clock.  If it occurs again, the game will be forfeited."

How can a player's cellphone go off if it is not in the playing room? And the FIDE rule is that the cellphone going off is an immediate forfeit.

and what would you do, strip the players?

BMeck
pdela wrote:
gambit-man wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

They just might. In a game with big money like this open to everyone, I bet they do have anti-cheating measures.

Ubik42
pdela wrote:
gambit-man wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

Difficult question. It depends. Is Kosteniuk going?

gambit-man
pdela wrote:
gambit-man wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

You miss my point. One rule says no electronic devices of any kind, another rule says cellphones are permitted but must be switched off. The second rule is also contrary to a new FIDE rule which will be in effect from 1 July 2014

Jion_Wansu
landlubberdolphin wrote:

What if Magnus Carlsen joins...

johnyoudell

I imagine Magnus Carlsen will want appearance money to play in all but the most prestigious events during his tenure, and maybe those too.

TheMushroomDealer

You cannot play a drawish opening such as the French Exchange and change all pieces away in order of getting a draw. Smile Me likes it.