Forums

Most agressive player of all time

Sort:
Pawnpusher3

Who do you think is the most agressive player? I say tal

Caliphigia

David Yanovsky. He was agressive not only during the game, but often after it too.

PrawnEatsPrawn

Leonid Stein was a Master of Attack:

CaptainJimTKirk

R. Fisher by far...

FortressBlaze

Rashid Nezhmetdinov

PrawnEatsPrawn
FortressBlaze wrote:

Rashid Nezhmetdinov

A good choice and powerful play in the example game.

Crazychessplaya

Al-Walid I (668 - 715).

waffllemaster

Fischer was known more for his endgames than attacks.  He overwhelmed his opponents with a clean, solid style.

CaptainJimTKirk

In chess so much depends on opening theory, so the champions before the last century did not know as much as I do and other players do about opening theory. So if you just brought them back from the dead they wouldn’t do well. They’d get bad openings. You cannot compare the playing strength, you can only talk about natural ability. Memorization is enormously powerful. Some kid of fourteen today, or even younger, could get an opening advantage against Capablanca, and especially against the players of the previous century, like Morphy and Steinitz. Maybe they would still be able to outplay the young kid of today. Or maybe not, because nowadays when you get the opening advantage not only do you get the opening advantage, you know how to play, they have so many examples of what to do from this position. It is really deadly, and that is why I don’t like chess any more. - Bobby Fischer

mottsauce

Alexander McDonnell ;)

MDWallace

Alekhine

Pawnpusher3

wow, everyone has different people :)

NimzoRoy

Napoleon was a mediocre chess player, but he was certainly way more aggressive than any Grandmaster away from the board.

PrawnEatsPrawn

PrawnEatsPrawn

PrawnEatsPrawn

Strange that so many of us should "confuse" attacking with aggressive.

p.s. http://thesaurus.com/browse/aggressive

blake78613

The most aggressive player I ever heard of was William Watson.  Boris Spassky compared his style of play to that of a drunk with a machine gun.

blake78613
NimzoRoy wrote:

Napoleon was a mediocre chess player, but he was certainly way more aggressive than any Grandmaster away from the board.

Had Napoleon put his mind to it, I sure he would have been a good player.  Napoleon never studied chess and know nothing about openings.  He could however make a sparkling combination in the middlegame.  Many of Napoleon's games came to an abrupt end when it was discovered that both of his bishops were of the same color.

BadRobot59

technicalities, technicalities....

How about Lasker, old but mighty in his day...

CoconutTiger
how can you forget mistah shirov!!!