Forums

My Ridiculous Sac

Sort:
Irontiger

Nice to spot that tactics. I honestly think I would have seen it even in blitz, but certainly not immediately, and certainly not when I had your rating.

Next time, you should consider posting in puzzle format and in the "puzzle section".

IoftheHungarianTiger

Very nice job!  I was impressed with your find.  My idea looking over the position was 1. Nxb6+ cxb6 2. Rxd8+ Kxd8, but then I didn't see Bxb6+ and instead was thinking Bh4+, which would have won the queen but lost the Bishop unnecessarily (Bb7, Qxg2 Bxh4).

So you found a better idea than I did, and you were in blitz mode, rather than puzzle mode ... kudos! Smile

ja734

actually that way is just as good. after Be7, Bxe7, then Kxe7, and then Qxg2. that way white doesnt lose a bishop, it just trades it early. although, my way does win an extra pawn on b6.

IoftheHungarianTiger

Oh!  Nice catch!  I was so focused on grabbing the queen the in-between bishop move completed escaped my attention!  Haha.  I do think your original method might be quicker and cleaner, though ... and it does win the extra pawn, as you mentioned.

Either way, what I'm most impressed by is that you found it in a blitz game.  For me, looking at the position, I was in puzzle mode (I knew I was looking for something that existed), whereas you were playing a real game, and blitz at that!  I don't think I'd have found either variation in an actual game (certainly not a blitz one) where I didn't already know there was a fabulous line to be found.

(not that I'm the yardstick by which brilliance is measured in chess or anything Smile, but it's a personal gauge that I use nonetheless!)

Anyways, I congratulate you: Very, very nice work!

naturalproduct

Mikey Likey!

Rational_Optimist

i never play Qg2 in a blitz.white pieces are looking at black king.black position looks dangerous.he needs to develop pieces quickly and i dont like to grap a pawn and get my queen out of scene.but you spot this combination in a blitz and well done.but i wish you had seen this combination before Qg2.it is rare to lose a pawn and then spot a perfect combination to justify losing a pawn.but the point is positional advantage creates tactical possibilities and this happened in this game.if you didnt have those nicely placed pieces you couldnt have made this combination. 

AndyClifton
ja734 wrote:

actually that way is just as good. after Be7, Bxe7, then Kxe7, and then Qxg2. that way white doesnt lose a bishop, it just trades it early. although, my way does win an extra pawn on b6.

Black could play 3... g5 though (after 3 Bh4+).

ja734

oh, true, but i think white can gain the material back after gxh4, with something like Bxf7, threatening the night on g8, and then if the night moves away, Qg5 check followed by Qxe5, threatening the rook on h8, and the night on b8, and the bishop on f8 is also in danger.

AndyClifton

lol

Sophia_Anderson

Nicely thought :)

MatchStickKing

Nice combo - have to say, I was looking for mate :0P