Forums

New to chess; again.

Sort:
JLawrence85

Hey all, I just signed up to this site a few days ago after becoming interested in chess once again.

I was in the Chess Club in middle school and I was decent I suppose. Played for fun with my friend's all the time. Gradually ran out of people to play with and I haven't played in at least 10 years.

I've read every article I can find, I've been playing the computer on this site [and my cell phone] non-stop. I was even considering buying a year platinum on this site to do the training videos.

Problem is, I'm terrible! I understand the basic rules. I understand pinning, and double attacking, and the importance of center control. I understand the importance of castling early. I understand balancing a good offense with a good defense. I understand sacrificing with an obvious material gain. I just can't apply it at all.

I've been playing the computer on Silly difficulty level constantly for several hours a day. I beat it once. Usually what happens is I FEEL like my opening is strong, and then all of a sudden no matter what I do I'm losing pieces and can't find a way to counter it. I just watch dismally while Shallow Blue over here swallows my board whole and I can't find any way to prevent it.

Any recommendations from you more experienced players? :)

Thanks!

kco

Just keep playing lots of games.

kco

also if you do decide to become a premium member, do lots of tactics.

erik

ask why your opponent moved where they did. 

look twice at your own move. 

learn from your mistakes. 

psyduck

I don't know. I'm pretty awesome. Just in case you were wondering.

Also, the endgame is more worth studying than openings imo (know what you're trying to achieve). you'll pick up the tricks by playing good players (like me :D)

thesexyknight

@OP:

I learn best when I get completely obliterated. Then I go back and look at where everything started to slide downhill. After that I hope for the opportunity to use what I've just learned on some unsuspecting specimen Wink.

My advice? Blunder check every move. Make sure you haven't dropped a piece. When you get a little bit better you'll start to get a feel for the position and notice weaknesses in your own position and your opponent's position, but for now just be sure you keep tracking of your pieces. Oh, and don't resign just because you fall behind.

psyduck
tonydal wrote:

I thought you were hitting the hay.

soon. catching my second wind

collinsdanielp

Rule 1: Don't blunder pieces! Before you submit a move check a few things. Make sure the piece you move won't simply be taken on its new square.  Also make sure you can move the piece you want without blundering another piece.  If your bishop is covering an attacked knight, your knight will be taken for free if you move your bishop.

Rule 2: After your opponents move see if he is making any theats.  Check all the squares the moved piece is now attacking, also check for discovered attacks (you should also check to see if your opponent has any moves that give check to avoid two move tactics, but if your blundering constantly just focus on the immediate threats for now)

SimonSeirup

I think you should find a OTB coach, that can teach you the basics.

Agent-Carlos-1470

Fight like a spartan (don't give up). Study the tactics. Aim for master level playCool. And try out the gambits which include sacrifices because they might just work (e.g. evans gambit)Surprised. Here is my personal favorite gambit called Fried fish attack acceptedLaughing:

crazy attack huhTongue out and yes i know I put alot of faces jeje
axeslinger

i feel your pain, im new 2 chess as well. its a very hard subject to study on your own and from books. but the more i play and study the more i love the game. my wife is buying me a $300 set for christmas...cant wait!

EdyEdd

well i think you should find a friend near you who likes to play and exercise together as much as possible (if he is stronger than you than the better it is). Try also lots of tactics from the easiest to hard ones to learn how to connect your pieces together. Watch the table for every threaten piece of yours before you move also.