Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

NM


  • 6 years ago · Quote · #1

    ChefSDB

    What do the different abbreviations mean in front of peoples screen names  ie:  NM etc.  I assume it has something to do with "master"?

  • 6 years ago · Quote · #2

    Patzer24

    NM - National Master

    FM - FIDE Master

    WFM - Womans FIDE Master

    IM - International Master

    WIM - Womans International Master

    GM - Grand Master

    WGM - Womans Grand Master 


  • 6 years ago · Quote · #3

    Graw81

    NM is National Master.

    GM is Grand Master. (2500+)

    IM is international Master. (2400+)

    FM is Fide Master. (2300+)

    The female equivilant has a W in front. e.g. WGM 

    Super GM is 2600+ i think. 


  • 6 years ago · Quote · #4

    ChefSDB

    Are the ratings strictly based on rankings?  If I acheive a 2500, will I automatically be considered a GM?
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #5

    western_burn

    No. Your chess.com rating will only win you respect on chess.com. nothing else.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #6

    ChefSDB

    Ah, so to get a rating in the real world, I have to play live, professional chess?
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #7

    Redwall

    but if you play a tornament OTB and get raited 2500, youl be considerd in class with the GM
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #8

    ChefSDB

    What's OTB.  I think I was there once.  Lost a lot of money on the horses

     

  • 6 years ago · Quote · #9

    Redwall

    Lol. Over The Bord
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #10

    Snookslayer

    Why would the classifications put men and women into seperate catagories?  I understand why there's an NBA and a WNBA – women are not a physically strong.  But with chess?  What?  They aren’t as mentally strong either? 
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #11

    ChefSDB

    Good point Snookslayer.  Why don't they have the same classifications for men as for women? 
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #12

    Smartattack

    Graw81 wrote:

    NM is National Master.

    GM is Grand Master. (2500+)

    IM is international Master. (2400+)

    FM is Fide Master. (2300+)

    The female equivilant has a W in front. e.g. WGM 

    Super GM is 2600+ i think. 


    Super GM is not a FIDE title, but if u want to use it, fits better to 2700+ players

  • 6 years ago · Quote · #14

    ChefSDB

    OK, so why is it that women need to be "handicapped?" by the rating system.  Do women and men really play that differently?
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #15

    Redwall

    there aren't as many female chess player simply, less players less points required to be called GM
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #16

    camdawg7

    well WGM sounds like an insult to women if you ask me.  its like saying "well you are good... for a girl."
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #17

    laifot

    camdawg7 wrote: well WGM sounds like an insult to women if you ask me.  its like saying "well you are good... for a girl."

     men are better at chess than women.. i think that's why they call it that way.


  • 6 years ago · Quote · #18

    Snookslayer

    Redwall wrote: there aren't as many female chess player simply, less players less points required to be called GM

    If it were intergrated, there would be plenty of players for females to play.  Not as many female opponets, but what's the difference?  To me it sounds like they're quietly admitting that women generally aren't as good at chess as men. Who knows - maybe that's true.  I guess one could argue that long drawn out tournaments are not only mentally draining, but physical which gives men an advantage. ?

  • 6 years ago · Quote · #19

    fischer

    Snookslayer wrote:

    If it were intergrated, there would be plenty of players for females to play.  Not as many female opponets, but what's the difference?  To me it sounds like they're quietly admitting that women generally aren't as good at chess as men. Who knows - maybe that's true.  I guess one could argue that long drawn out tournaments are not only mentally draining, but physical which gives men an advantage. ?


    Please do your homework on this subject before making such comments. The GM and IM titles can be earned by both men AND women. The WGM and WIM titles are only available to women. They have the option of playing in regular tournaments and/or women's tournaments.


  • 6 years ago · Quote · #20

    Loomis


Back to Top

Post your reply: