Forums

No Handshake between Anand and Topalov

Sort:
ankitthemaster

after the end of game 3 .....

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010/04/no-handshake-at-end-of-game-3.html

jesterville

What a shame. I have lost all respect for Topalov now...childish...and immature...what a total a..hole. I hope Anand wipes the floor with him.

jesterville

No it is not...but it is sportsman-like. By refusing to shake Anand's hand...it is just disrespectful. I don't know if the information is correct.

Crazychessplaya

If neither player wanted to shake hands, this is fine. On the other hand, if one player extended a hand and the other refused, a good -slapping is in order. For the refusing party, of course.

ravster

looks like a new rivalry is sparking up

capablanca and alekhine

fischer and every russian player :)

kasparov and karpov

now its looking like anand and topalov?

jesterville

First, Topalov says he will not ask for a draw nor accept one...he then says he is playing Sofia rules(rather than World Chanpionship Rules), he also insists that he wanted no chat with Anand during the games...now he refuses to shake hands with the World Champion after game 3. Let's not forget that the official site for this match carries only interviews with Topalov and his manager, but none of Anand's....what does this all add up to?

Atos

As I understand, shaking hands IS mandatory in the beginning of the game, not sure if in the end.

jesterville

It has nothing to do with what is mandatory "Atos"... if your neighbour says hello to you...it is not mantatory to reply either. But, simply rude and disrepectful not to exchange the greeting.

The only thing Topalov is doing is revealing himself for what he is...and in the process increasing Anand's fan base. Go Anand...wipe his face in it.

tumortank

I watched round 3 in its entirety and Im almost sure that I saw them shake hands after the draw. It was after they stood up, Topa  sort of had his back to the camera.

Crazychessplaya
tumortank wrote:

I watched round 3 in its entirety and Im almost sure that I saw them shake hands after the draw. It was after they stood up, Topa  sort of had his back to the camera.

LOL, then it's just another rumor...

jesterville

Well "tumortank", you said "almost". Susan Polgar is currently in Sofia watching these matches, in her blog she indicated that Topalov refused to shake Anand's hand...the link is above.

rooperi

Geez, for jumping to conclusions.

There was no handshake. (fact)

But, where does it say Anand offered an Topalov refused?

What a shame. I have lost all respect for Topalov now...childish...and immature...what a total a..hole. I hope Anand wipes the floor with him.

By refusing to shake Anand's hand...it is just disrespectful.

[edit} Update 2: The players at the press conference said they simply forgot to shake hands at the end of the game. 

http://reports.chessdom.com/news-2010/anand-topalov-no-handshake

ravster

ive just checked it up. apparantly to both players at teh press conference, they just simply forgot to shake hands.

Ravi

admiralackbar

the handshake wasnt the big deal, it was before it: in a simply drawn position Topalov (who refuses to talk to Anand) goes to the Arbiter and offers a draw!? all he has to do is say 1 word to Vishy but he seems to be too high and mighty for that. the game was drawn a few moves later.

Vance917
Crazychessplaya wrote:

If neither player wanted to shake hands, this is fine. On the other hand, if one player extended a hand and the other refused, a good -slapping is in order. For the refusing party, of course.

I agree with you completely.  Sometimes after a soccer game, if the other team played dirty, or talked trash, then I may not make the effort to go over and shake their hands.  But under no circumstances would I ever refuse to shake hands with somebody who came over to me and extended his hand.

ninevah

Man, if you've ever played a tourney game you'll know that the pressure can be so big you can forget your name. I even wrote the wrong score once on my blank (kudos to my opponent for pointing out my mistake - hell, it was a tough game!). Stuff happens, apparently (as both said) they forgot it. Why some people will always try to turn everything into a scandal?

ilikeflags

germs

Vance917
ilikeflags wrote:

germs

I agree with you, too, and as a rule I do not like shaking hands when I am about to eat, and I am not a big fan of guys who always like to shake hands.  I suppose that was why I wrote my last comment about soccer games, when everyone has dirty hands to start with, so it makes no difference.

admiralackbar
Vance917 wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

germs

I agree with you, too, and as a rule I do not like shaking hands when I am about to eat, and I am not a big fan of guys who always like to shake hands.  I suppose that was why I wrote my last comment about soccer games, when everyone has dirty hands to start with, so it makes no difference.

maybe just an elbow bump then? Cool

jesterville

Normally, it is the World Champion who is making all the demands. But Anand has not made any. All the "negatives" are coming from one direction. The only positive thing...is that it makes for interesting reading.