Forums

Opponent copies your moves in daily chess tournament

Sort:
brianchesscake

this is one reason I have a "backup" opening in case my opponent decides to play my opening against me with opposite colors. helps to know more than one opening well even in blitz games so you can spice it up every now and then.

MarioParty4

Invalid.

DelightfulLiberty
brianchesscake wrote:

this is one reason I have a "backup" opening in case my opponent decides to play my opening against me with opposite colors. helps to know more than one opening well even in blitz games so you can spice it up every now and then.

I can't see how this helps with someone doing the hustler copycat simul trick?  Regardless of your opening you end up playing yourself

Optimissed
MGleason wrote:

Yes, this is not an issue in OTB chess, as you won't be playing two games simultaneously unless you are a strong player doing a simul, in which case you are better than your opponents and have no reason to copy moves.

It's also not normally an issue in live chess for the same reason.  It's normally only an issue in a correspondence format such as chess.com's daily chess.

And you're right, a few moves won't normally get someone banned.  I've had simultaneous games that started with the same opening, simply because my opponent and I happened to want to play the same opening in both games.  The games diverged later in the opening.

This is the game my banned opponent copied. Knowing I was playing a computer in the other game put me off this one quite badly. I was spending too much time on the other one. I know I play at a certain level and losing like that against a weaker player meant I was playing a computer, when you consider how difficult the moves are to find. They may seem to look obvious just looking at the game but ...

Anyway, I made a real mess of this game and my opponent played well to find the solution. I haven't analysed it yet, to work out what I should have done. I normally have no trouble with this opening say in an otb with 90 minutes each player, which is standard for UK league play. Maybe in a tournament or county game I'd play differently.

And this is the game played by the person who was banned. You can see how he copies the moves of the other player at first. This is not a normal way for white to play the position, with such an early Be3. I decided I had to deviate and the  .... Nd7 move seemed a natural way to do that.

MGleason

@Optimissed, that's a different situation.  That's an opponent looking at a historical game you've played and picking an opening line that you struggled with.  That's a legitimate thing to do in daily chess - or even to prepare in advance in live or OTB.

That's a totally different thing from someone playing two games against you simultaneously and copying the moves you play from one game to play against you in the other game.

For example, in the game where you're white, you might play 1. e4.  Your opponent might then copy that and play 1. e4 in the game where he's white.  You might respond to that with 1...c5, and then your opponent might copy that in the game where he's black and play 1...c5 against you.  Effectively this forces you to play against your own moves, and your opponent is guaranteed to score 50% against you.  This is what this thread is talking about.