Forums

OTB - Taking it easy on lower rated players?

Sort:
Verthandi
[COMMENT DELETED]
Iron-butterfly

Wow...wasn't this just about beating someone at chess who may not be as good?  :)  That was too deep (above).  Thank happy thoughts, man. :)

Foriz

I like to lead on a player if I see they are playing poor moves, and then line up a queen sacrifice that gets me a forced checkmate in under five against my opponent. It's fun to say the least lol.

PlayOnICCTournaments

I like to crush my opponents. I want to get NM before college so I can do better. I dont care how my opponents feel, they deserved their loss because they lost their game.

tactic

It's easier to not care about your opponents feelings when you're typing anonymously than face-to-face. I've played against disabled elderly opponents who I was already psychologically losing to because I was debating the morality of beating them. I've also played against those who are young and cannot control their hyperactive impulses, so I do not usher them to stop even they are interfering with my focus. It's a grey area; theoretically you choose to disregard your opponent in each situation but that depends on your moral standing. I think it is best to view your opponent as a human being, but also try your best on the board. Chess is a sport of the mind, and even those who are crippled beyond physical ability can create beautiful combinations over the board. You should not disregard those based on their current physical ability, but you should probably not pull psychological tricks on them out of courtesy. Keep in mind your opponents existence as a human being, but remember that by beating your opponent you are not invalidating their existence as so. 

Cyvilwrit

man, i am 400 elo and  when i play against advanced players i like to analyze their moves later, when you take it easy you are basicly depriving me from that

motherinlaw

People sure have different personalities, don't they?  À chaquon son goût. 😉

ChesswithGautham

No mercy. Just win win win win win win. That’s all there is to it.

OnStar

I'll be kind in my words and conduct myself with humility.  But unless I'm playing a young child in an unofficial game, I have no actual mercy in the game itself.

Chess is not like boxing.  If I played Magnus, the outcome would likely be lopsided, but it wouldn't hurt in the same way as it would hurt to lose to a pro boxer who had no mercy.

PlayOnICCTournaments

There is no reason to feel bad for your opponents.

mpaetz

I never deliberately play inferior moves. Its disrespectful to your opponent and to the game itself. Your opponent won't be able to learn as much from such a game.

Nor do I take any pleasure in crushing an admittedly inferior opponent. There is no satisfaction involved in a situation where playing very poorly (by your usual standards) still gets you an easy win.

But I will happily join them in postgame analysis and explain what I was thinking and how they could have played better.

PlayOnICCTournaments

exactly