Forums

Pin or Skewer?

Sort:
stats_man

We know that a pin is when a less valuable piece is attacked by a long rang piece while defending a higher valuable piece such that movement of the piece subjects the more valuable piece to attack.

We know that a skewer is the opposite, in terms of piece value attacked.

But what if the pieces are of same value? For example, a bishop attacking a rook on a diagonal with another rook on same diagonal with no pieces between the rooks (but not forked).

Is there a special term for this?

einstein_69101

That is a very good question.  :)

I don't think there is a term for that type of attack as far as I know.  However, I think it can be considered a pin if the position is right, and the same goes for a skewer.  Sometimes it is best for that first piece under attack to move out of the was to avoid a big loss, and sometimes it is best for that piece to stay put.  There are also times where you have a choice on which way you want out of it.  :)

Gambitbishop

Of course, something like this would go both ways:

burnsielaxplayer

Good question but I always thought of it as a skewer more than a pin

darkschyte

isnt that a fork? because youre attacking a stronger piece than the attacker piece, but if it moves, you will attack a stronger piece than your attacker piece, so that should be called  a fork i think, in spanish i use to say "clavada" for the same motif.

Like a knight "forking" two pieces like a bishop "forking" two pieces 

finalunpurez

i dont think bishop can fork can it?

TonyH

I think of them as linear attacks. pins and skewers are specific cases. in your example its just form of double attack I guess.

kco

isn't this kind of a x-ray attack ?

raswartz

The purpose of a pin is to limit mobility.  The pinned piece can no longer be used as a defender, so you can attack the pieces it would otherwise be protecting, or you can get safe tranportation through squares that normally would be protected.

The purpose of a skewer is to capture.  I'd say 2 pieces of equal value are a skewer, not a pin.  Whichever piece is moved you take the other one.

practicemaster
Would you call this a Pin or Skewer?

How about now?

I don't think the normal definition of Pins and Skewers where the value of the piece in front or behind determines the difference between them is entirely valid. I think the nature of the attack is what matters. Does it restrict the front piece from moving(Pin) or does it flat out win a piece because only one can escape?(Skewer)

ISaveChesspapers
finalunpurez wrote:

i dont think bishop can fork can it?

Of course it can.